Ord House Country Park

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Just back from a week at this site at Berwick upon Tweed.
We booked it due to the 5* rating and all the awards it had.
It also had some lovely pictures on the website showing what looked like a very peaceful site.
Wish I had paid attention to some reviews on another site.

There appears to be a lot of seasonally pitched tourers but the site is mainly statics and a few log cabins.
The visiting tourers appear to be crammed in almost as an afterthought with everyone looking in on each other. Only a few pitches have water on them.
At the pitch we had, we were near the shower/toilet block. There was four showers(one was disabled) and queuing for a shower was seemed the norm. The shower block seemed newish but there was damp/mould on the tiles and ceilings. Also, they seem to run the hot water from some kind of solar system which may be great for the environment but the water pressure is so poor you are pressed up against the wall to get into the spray. If all the showers are in use(and usually are), the temp keeps dropping.
On arrival, you are given a fob to raise the entry barrier and a key for the showers/toilets(£15 deposit). Problem arises when you have a mixed party which we did. Having to pass the key around and try to time toilet and shower visits. We ended up paying another £5 for another key. Every other site we've visited has a keypad which seems a much better idea.
There is a main building which is the entertainment area/restaurant/childrens indoor play area.
We went for a meal on the first night.
The food was almost an hour arriving. When we asked, we were told it had only been 45 minutes?????
We didn't go back.
I won't comment on the indoor play area as I'm sure it will annoy some.
Suffice to say, if my kids were in an area marked "children should be supervised by an adult", they were.
For us, this was a big disappointment. We had looked forward to this trip but we will not be returning.

Even as we were leaving, my wife returned the keys/fob to the reception.
Not even a "Did you enjoy your holiday? Thanks for staying here"
Just "Thanks"
Next time, I'll read all the reviews

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don't let this put you off caravanning.

9 years ago we had a week there and enjoyed the site.
True there were a lot of statics but hardly any seasonals.
Clearly seasonals suit a lot of people especially the site owners who can budget their finances perhaps.
Maybe too many site owners prefer seasonals to tourers.
Next time ask on here before you book and check out UK campsites.
Hopefully we can help you.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear you didn't have a great time but we're glad it hasn't put you off. We'd encourage caravanners to write reviews of campsites they've stayed at on our sister website Caravan Sitefinder – just click here! It's good to share experiences and to keep parks on their toes, so we all have the best caravan holidays.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We stayed on this site last year , but in one of those pods , a wooden hut basicially , i agree the resturant and indoor play area not exactly brilliant for kids , very cramped and close together pitches , but we paid £6o for two nights which made us start looking at the caravans ! But one site we'll not be rushing back to ! For a quick get away for us , Yorkshire does the trick .

TRENDING THREADS