Our first caravan

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
My wife and i are looking for a first caravan. I don't want to spend a fortune whilst we see how we enjoy things.

We've looked at a few vans at a local dealers and feel a 2 berth with an end loo/wash area is what we want.

Can anyone recomend models that fit the bill and also sites for forsale ads etc.

TIA

Jim

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi James. See 4 threads down from this one. Elddis Hurricane. We are new to caravaning too and looked at hundreds of vans and decided the end b/room was for us. The one we got also had the 'feels right' factor when we first went through the door, and always feels like home, whether we are away or just in it whilst its on the drive.( sad i know but i will find any excuse to go sit in it )

Good luck in your search

Mags

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Mags,

Many thanks for your reply.

The end washrooms we looked at were all split in to 3. Loo, dressing area and shower.

Can you confirm that the elldis is the same?

Sorry if its a dafdt question

regards

Jim

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi James

In order to narrow down your search for your first caravan you need first of all to consider the weight of your towcar and what you can tow legally.

A guide to towing law and how to work out the weight range that you will be interested in can be found :

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/legal/index.html
A click on the Home Page button in the blue panel on the left of this webpage will yield information that will help to formulate an idea of where to start.

Decide how many berths you need in the caravan, are there just two of you or do you have children?

Have a look round dealers forecoourts and sit in the caravans to assess which layouts you like, if the seats are long enough and the amount of worktop / storage space. This will give you a further idea of what to look for.

Many large dealerships have a few older part exchanges in stock for very reasonable prices so have a look at these as a starter caravan. Try to arrange at least three months guarantee if from the dealers if buying an older first caravan so that if it turns out to be very damp or have major faults you will have some redress.

The home page has a search facility for classified ads

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/buyingused/index-classified-buy.html
Another sales website is :

http://www.rightcaravan4u.co.uk/
Good Luck

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
Mags,

Many thanks for your reply.

The end washrooms we looked at were all split in to 3. Loo, dressing area and shower.

Can you confirm that the elldis is the same?

Sorry if its a dafdt question

regards

Jim
James, its not a daft question.

In ours the bathroom is the full width of the back end of the van. When you go in, to your left is a shower cubicle with a bi fold door next to which is the wardrobe. Facing you is a window in the back wall with storage shelves below. To the right of that is a corner vanity unit and sink and to the right of that, coming down the right side wall is the loo. So there is an area in the middle of all that to dress in.

I hope you can follow that.

Im sure that 2 berth end bathroom hurricanes from different years will probably have a slightly different bathroom layout but essentially they will be the same but if anyone knows any different, please let us know.

Mags

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Just a word of warning - if you are looking to buy a relatively new caravan, with some warranty still left on - I advise to check the small print as some manufacturer's warranty's are not transferrable - I bought, our first caravn, a Lunar that was just over a year old, the service identified a small patch of dampness which the engineer said could be done under warranty, low and behold when we spoke to the lunar they confirmed we weren't covered due to it being non-transferrable.

Even now there are Lunar caravans being avertised on 'E' bay with x amount of year's left on warranty - so I would just clarify before you purchase.

Best of Luck,

Mark

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Parksy,

I drive an X trail so will so the clacs tonight but I think that gives me plenty of options.

Mark...

I won't be buying new enough to worry but that sounds like good advice.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi James, Have you had alook at the Elddis Odyssey 482 2 berth model, it really a lovely van to look at inside and out, The shower is plenty big enough, not like some too big like Bailey Swift ect, Do go on to ww.caravan finder,co.uk. you will find all sort of van in size, but do look at the Elddis one first,

Good luck Trevor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts