Out and about!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All our future bookings are on sites with fully serviced pitches. We are now considering leaving the aquarolls and waste master behind removing about 12kg from caravan. If we do this then we can carry other stuff in the caravan like windbreaks etc. I will probably feel uncomfortable about this initially as have not done it previously. Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I nearly did that a few years ago. However another chap on site had linked the mains water direct to his caravan with the kit without the aquaroll. Something failed and flooded his van. I always use the aquaroll with the float system thus avoiding any potential flood.

I don’t trust the caravan pipes to tolerate constant mains water pressure. Waste master hasn’t had much use so yes I could leave it but what happens if something goes wrong on site and I need it? Maybe carry a much smaller one , just in case.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All our future bookings are on sites with fully serviced pitches. We are now considering leaving the aquarolls and waste master behind removing about 12kg from caravan. If we do this then we can carry other stuff in the caravan like windbreaks etc. I will probably feel uncomfortable about this initially as have not done it previously. Any thoughts on this?
Beware of not having an alternative to cope with failure - our Lunar Clubman came with the Truma Waterline direct connection system which I use on fully serviced pitches - on our last trip the pistol grip connector hose became detached - dismantling I noticed it uses the spring clip type of hose clip which had become loose - I replaced it with a conventional worm-drive hose clip from Halfords - and replaced the hose clips either side of the regulator.

If you take the Aquaroll/Waterhog, you only need a hose connection to refiill the barrel if the Truma Waterline fails.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I nearly did that a few years ago. However another chap on site had linked the mains water direct to his caravan with the kit without the aquaroll. Something failed and flooded his van. I always use the aquaroll with the float system thus avoiding any potential flood.

I don’t trust the caravan pipes to tolerate constant mains water pressure. Waste master hasn’t had much use so yes I could leave it but what happens if something goes wrong on site and I need it? Maybe carry a much smaller one , just in case.
A direct connection without using a float in the barrel needs a pressure reducer to avoid full mains pressure.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We fill the onboard tank and then turn down the tap so the water only trickles into the caravan onboard tank instead of there being a high pressure on the hose 100% of the time.
Also we have the Whale system which seems to be a lot more reliable than the Truma system. In the past we have had a number of failures with the Truma system relating to the pump itself.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The kit does come with that but it doesn’t cut off the mains supply.
Neither does a barrel, submersible pump and float - even if you turn the water off at the mains when you go out, there's still 20+ litres to be used up from the barrel, that still makes a lot of mess.

The pressure reducer in the Truma Waterline give lower pressure in the caravan than the Whale submersible in the barrel so LESS chance of blowing the caravan system!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Neither does a barrel, submersible pump and float - even if you turn the water off at the mains when you go out, there's still 20+ litres to be used up from the barrel, that still makes a lot of mess.

The pressure reducer in the Truma Waterline give lower pressure in the caravan than the Whale submersible in the barrel so LESS chance of blowing the caravan system!
Not if you turn the water pump off, when you go out. I will admit I very often forget to do that. And I should have learned as I flooded the caravan once with a blown push together pipe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We will be using the mains water system so not sure why any aquaroll system is being discussed? Thick we will chance it and leave aquarolls and waste master behind. :D

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I use serviced pitches probably 9 out of 10 trips, nothing to do with weight so I’m happy with the aqua roll being in there, I do it because it’s a pain fetching and emptying continuously, I’m happy to pay a bit extra if it means I don’t have to do it, if someone came to you at the start of a holiday and said I’ll fill your aqua roll whenever needed and empty your waste whenever, I’d probably offer a tenner a week and be pleased about it, I doubt serviced pitches would cost extra any more than that.

BP

Reactions: Kevin M
Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I have used service pitches for the last 7-8 trips and used the Whale mains water with trauma connection straight into the van. The system is brilliant when it works. I never carried the Aqua roll or waste.
During this time I’ve had problems with 2 of these mains hook ups whereby they leaked substantial water, luckily on the unit itself outside of the van and no damage inside. I got refunds from Whale on both occasions but lessons learnt and I now use the aqua roll with the float system.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Every service site we've been on we've had no issues, no aquaroll needed. I'd be very tempted to leave it at home. The aqua master is probably more reliable than the valve in the roll business.
Any worries about flooding ? Simply switch the tap off when you go out or at night and use the onboard tank as you say, Buckman.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Not if you turn the water pump off, when you go out. I will admit I very often forget to do that. And I should have learned as I flooded the caravan once with a blown push together pipe.
Exactly what I do.
We always go for service pitches, we leave the waste hog in the front locker and 2 barrels in the caravan because I know the nose weight will be spot on and like others we use the float in the barrel type, I dont trust the water fittings in the caravan, all push fit, I would imagine with O rings which as most if not all of us know do fail.

Oh just remembered, on our inboard pump the filter lock window thing gave up, luckily not much mess and has never done it again.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

The one I have is a Whale unit. No sign of a pressure reducer, just looked. Also , in my case , we have an on board pump so there are a few pipes and connections before the pump is reached. I guess it’s personal but having used the direct system once I prefer the aquaroll mains method.
Buckman you do not need the aquaroll. We were just discussing the merits of the two types of mains connection.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We're currently on a F S pitch using the Whale float type in the Aquaroll.
The water enters the caravan via the onboard pump at ordinary caravan pump pressure, no different to if we filled the Aquaroll manually.
If the Whale float failed all that would happen would be that water would overflow from the top of the Aquaroll with no possibility of it entering the caravan.
The only slight drawback with the Whale system is ensuring that it sits inside the Aquaroll correctly with the float hanging down.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would not like to trust a pressure reducer. Even if they are successful in reducing the pressure, are they fail safe.

But even using a float valve in an Aquaroll, if there is a failure with a joint or pipe in the van, a lot of damage can be caused in a short amount of time.

At least filling the tank up each time limits the total quantity of water possible to flood the van.

Most vans have the pump on/off switch near the door. So it is best to turn it off every time we leave the van or go to bed. And if using a pressure reducer to turn the tap off each time.

Do I do that. No, life is too short.

As an alternative, I know of someone who has fitted a float valve into a 1 gallon container. Works just the same, but difficult to get it to sit still under its own weight. Perhaps it could be strapped to the wheel. Aquaroll for me, x 2.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would not like to trust a pressure reducer. Even if they are successful in reducing the pressure, are they fail safe.

But even using a float valve in an Aquaroll, if there is a failure with a joint or pipe in the van, a lot of damage can be caused in a short amount of time.

At least filling the tank up each time limits the total quantity of water possible to flood the van.

Most vans have the pump on/off switch near the door. So it is best to turn it off every time we leave the van or go to bed. And if using a pressure reducer to turn the tap off each time.

Do I do that. No, life is too short.

As an alternative, I know of someone who has fitted a float valve into a 1 gallon container. Works just the same, but difficult to get it to sit still under its own weight. Perhaps it could be strapped to the wheel. Aquaroll for me, x 2.

John
We turn off the pump when we are going away from the caravan, but leave it on at night for hygiene reasons. Although Flojet under where your head rest on the pillow isn't the best fora good nights sleep if the toilet gets used frequently.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whether you use the aquaroll system or the direct mains, both stand a chance of flooding the caravan so why worry?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
+1 for the float system. I have often toyed with the idea of the direct mains kit, but others have put me off. We have used the float system for about 10 years with no issues at all.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Whether you use the aquaroll system or the direct mains, both stand a chance of flooding the caravan so why worry?

And for those who do worry about this, just turn the pump or tap off when you go out or go to bed - neither system is foolproof.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont turn it off when we go to bed, but we do turn it off when we go out. If i did it at night time, I would be woken up every five minutes by madam, asking how to turn it back on.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Turning the tap off at night does not apeal to me, the thought of getting up on a wet morning to run outside, to turn the tap on to have a shower, I will stick to the Hose into the aqua roll, for serviced pitches.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts