Overnight price increase

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have most of our groceries delivered to the door. Yesterday I ordered Comfort fabric conditioner 5L at £6.50 along with other groceries. Today it was delivered and the charge was now £9.00 so a significant increase of £2.50. We sent it back band ought off Amazon at £6.50. Actually not the first time we have come across this over night increase, but they have been minor and we have ignored.

The same supermarket plus another and been reported to the competitions board or similar for marking up the price of goods and then offering them a week or two later at a discount for loyalty card holders, but the discount takes it back to the same price as what it was originally.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We have most of our groceries delivered to the door. Yesterday I ordered Comfort fabric conditioner 5L at £6.50 along with other groceries. Today it was delivered and the charge was now £9.00 so a significant increase of £2.50. We sent it back band ought off Amazon at £6.50. Actually not the first time we have come across this over night increase, but they have been minor and we have ignored.

The same supermarket plus another and been reported to the competitions board or similar for marking up the price of goods and then offering them a week or two later at a discount for loyalty card holders, but the discount takes it back to the same price as what it was originally.
All price increase are overnight, there's no other practical way - the issue here is surely that the increase is massive?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
All price increase are overnight, there's no other practical way - the issue here is surely that the increase is massive?
I think you are missing the point. I ordered the goods and paid for the goods upfront as per all supermarket shopping that is going to be delivered. I also got an email confirming the original price of £6.50. However the transaction is only processed the day of delivery and at that point there was the price increase. Yes the price increase was massive!

Just to add it was not Co-op, Tesco or Morrisons.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have only used Tesco for weekly shopping delivery. So far as I am aware, we have only ever been charged the agreed price. The money is not actually taken untill the time it is picked. If an item has to be weighed then clearly the final cost will not be known at the time of order. But I would only expect to pay the agreed £/kg.

I wonder if the driver warned you of the increase when the delivery came.

I think it would be wise to check the agreed cost against the actual charge. Somthing we are admitedly laxed about.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have only used Tesco for weekly shopping delivery. So far as I am aware, we have only ever been charged the agreed price. The money is not actually taken untill the time it is picked. If an item has to be weighed then clearly the final cost will not be known at the time of order. But I would only expect to pay the agreed £/kg.

I wonder if the driver warned you of the increase when the delivery came.

I think it would be wise to check the agreed cost against the actual charge. Somthing we are admitedly laxed about.

John
It is not the driver's problem as they only deliver the goods. Easier to return the goods than try and speak to someone in a foreign country. Anyway it is all sorted and hopefully my account will be refunded within the next few days.

Just an annoyance, but always wise to check prices!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is not the driver's problem as they only deliver the goods. Easier to return the goods than try and speak to someone in a foreign country. Anyway it is all sorted and hopefully my account will be refunded within the next few days.

Just an annoyance, but always wise to check prices!
The Tesco driver always checks that the customer to happy with the order and takes back any unwanted or short date unacceptable items. Completely different to Amazon for example. This is one reason why payment is not taken immediately when an order is made.

We have started to go back to the shop now, (partly for something to do). But never had a problem with Tesco delivery service.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think we have ever had a delivery from Tesco so can't comment on their delivery service. We did think of trying Tesco delivery service, but they want to lock you into a 6 month contract.

Like you we have also started going back to the supermarket for stuff that we cannot get from our current supermarket or their prices are a lot higher. Gives us something to do and a break during the week. (y) :)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Be fair - Tesco's profits are only just over £2bn so they do need to get a bit more out of us :)

On a similar theme, I'm always on the lookout for ways of saving some money. We're with BT for broadband and Home Phone(Digital) and we pay up front just over £9/mth for 700mins inclusive calls.

Having just switched my mobile service from Three to 1Pmobile I can get unlimited calls and texts with them for just £3 /mth. So there's a potential saving there.

BT have a Pay as you Go plan for the home phone which when I checked was £0/mth and you just paid for the outgoing calls. I discussed this with the finance dept. (Mrs V.) and we thought we'd go for just using the mobile for outgoing calls. The following day I went back to make the change only to find BT are now charging £2/mth for this plus call charges.

We still went for it as its some saving I'd rather have than give to some poor and hard up company.

We're not big users of the mobile phone and just buy a data package when we're away for a period of time.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We use to have Tesco home delivery but when things started to increase and we would have sent it back , We have Asda now but we are on a six month contract but don"t mind that because we can have a slot any day of the week and when we go away it very handy getting a delivery before we go and when we return from a break .Asda groceries were brilliant when we were in lockdown they never missed a home delivery slot that why we have kept them .
if they send you somethings that not in stock you can send it back with the driver and get a full refund .

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The OP said it wasn’t Tesco! Why bash them up?
Once you place your order on line with any supermarket, and agree payment immediately or on delivery a contract for purchase exists. No change. In fact some supermarkets will give you a superior alternative at no extra cost. Yes I have known Tesco do this.
I can only see one that knocked Tesco. I think I did the opposite. This is an odd topic. As it can seem to criticise home delivery in general, thereby tarring all with the same brush. But I can see why the OP does not wish to name whoever it is.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can only see one that knocked Tesco. I think I did the opposite. This is an odd topic. As it can seem to criticise home delivery in general, thereby tarring all with the same brush. But I can see why the OP does not wish to name whoever it is.

John
Actually has nothing to do with delivery but rather ordering at a fixed price, paying and then the cost of the goods going up massively over night and the price increase is done by the supermarket checkout.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I did understand your post. I just made the point that being charged over and above the agreed amount has not happened to us. And, I agree with Dusty. Your contract is normally binding at the time of order. I say normally, as I dare say the seller can make it clear, at the time you order, that prices may increase. In this case, they are within their rights.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I did understand your post. I just made the point that being charged over and above the agreed amount has not happened to us. And, I agree with Dusty. Your contract is normally binding at the time of order. I say normally, as I dare say the seller can make it clear, at the time you order, that prices may increase. In this case, they are within their rights.

John
You are correct that they are probably within their rights, but so are we which is why rejection was not an issue. As said bought the same off Amazon for the original price.

However by the same token, when doing the shopping and doing the payment Online I would have thought that once payment was made, the contract was binding.

If I had loaded the basket, but never processed a payment fair enough for a price increase, however I clicked to make a payment and the payment was accepted and at that point the contract was binding.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are correct that they are probably within their rights, but so are we which is why rejection was not an issue. As said bought the same off Amazon for the original price.

However by the same token, when doing the shopping and doing the payment Online I would have thought that once payment was made, the contract was binding.

If I had loaded the basket, but never processed a payment fair enough for a price increase, however I clicked to make a payment and the payment was accepted and at that point the contract was binding.
What do the terms and conditions say for the online grocery shopping from your supermarket?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
During COVID, Mrs H was having priority deliveries from, a supermarket. One day I went to the supermarket and bought the ham Mrs H has delivered, got home and compared the prices, the Ham I bought was 50 pence cheaper than the exactly the same as delivered. Total rip off on some items.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts