Overnight site near Caen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a site suitable for overnight stay near to Caen port, we have always stayed at Les Haute coutres but this year seems we are not welcome for the one night stopover.

We will be three twin axle caravans and will be catching the 08.00 boat to Portsmouth.

We would like to be fairly near to port as we have several young children to get ready.

If we are unable to find a site I beleive we can stop overnight on the port but I think this will have to be after the 23.00 hours ferry departs.

Thanks Wayne.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's a campsite right on the roundabout as you turn into the port in Caen itself. Les Pommiers. It's convenient, but the reviews are not very good, because it's on such a busy road, and facilities are not all that hot. Our friends stayed there, but we stayed at Les Hautes Coutures when they did accept overnight stops.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
We have always used Camping des Capucines in Ranville. Its only a kilometre or so over the other side of the Pegasus Bridge. They cope fine with early and late arrivals and departures. Clean site and very good for a short stopover.

Cheers

Mike A

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Try Chateau Martragny on A13 towards Bayeau. Only 10 mins from Caen Ring Road and I would say 20 - 25 mins to port. There is a long drive to the Chateau with large pitches on either side which are perfect for twins - we have used them many times. If you part towards the end of the drive you do not disturb anyone whilst getting ready to pull off.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Try Chateau Martragny on A13 towards Bayeau. Only 10 mins from Caen Ring Road and I would say 20 - 25 mins to port. There is a long drive to the Chateau with large pitches on either side which are perfect for twins - we have used them many times. If you part towards the end of the drive you do not disturb anyone whilst getting ready to pull off.
Chateau de Martragny will only take 3 night minimm stay bookings from 1st July. We were there to last Monday night and it is excellent. However it is actually 38km from the port which isnt actually at Caen, but at Ouistreham which is some way away. Still it is an easy run and well signposted to the ferry terminal.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Chateau de Martragny will only take 3 night minimm stay bookings from 1st July. We were there to last Monday night and it is excellent. However it is actually 38km from the port which isnt actually at Caen, but at Ouistreham which is some way away. Still it is an easy run and well signposted to the ferry terminal.
Although they advertise a min 3 night via Caravan Club they will not turn you away. For the past few years they have not been that bust and I am sure if they have a place for one night they would be glad of the business. You will just have to pay direct rather than through Caravan Club.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Les Pommiers has a rule of not accepting twin axles but has been known to waive it for advance bookings. The site at Ranville, 'Camping des Capaucines' is the best option. It is handy for the ferry and the barrier is open form 0600.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts