Overnight stops en Route Spain in Winter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings All,

As the title suggests we are going down to Spain in the depths of Winter 2010 (Feb)

We are doing the Rouen-Chartes-Clermont-Millau route.

Can anyone recommend sites open at that time of year to a single axle caravan. I anticipate getting to the Loire for the first night but for the second and subsequent nights I would appreciate suggestions. The more the merrier.

I do have Caravan 1 the ACSI book and the michelin guide but I am sure that someone will have a spot they know about that isn't in any of the above publications.

Thanks in advance

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This website http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm

lists ALL campsites within 15 km of the major routes, including those open all year (I think highlighted in red), with contact details, and POI.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
You haven't said where in Spain, but we've been going there for the past sixteen winters. Because the route (at least through France) is lower, I prefer going to Chartres, but then continuing through Tours and Bordeaux to San Sebastian. Then taking the N1. If heading for Valencia go via Pamplona and Zaragoza, or if going to the Costa del Sol, go via Burgos and Madrid. Both are good dual-carriageway roads with not too much toll.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We travelled down to Valencia earlier this year (Feb) with a single axle 'van. We crossed over from Portsmouth/Ouisterham. After some thought I decided against the Clermont/Millau route as this takes you over the Central Massif which rises to well over 4000 ft, and I didn't really relish this if the weather was at all inclement particularly with a conventional estate car, so elected for the Poitiers/Limoges/Toulouse route. We stayed at the following sites on the way down which were more than adequate for a one night stop::

Camping Futuriste at Jaunay Clan (Poitiers) a very good site

Camping Panoramic at Payrac close to Limoges - we were a bit lonely here as we were the only "residents" but the Dutch owner was very welcoming

Camping Caistellets at St Jean Pla d Corts near(ish) to the France/Spanish border - an adequate site with some stunning views of the Pyrennees

& finally Camping Vilanova at Vilanova I le Geltru in Spain - a massive well run site with all the whistles and bells.

On our return trip, and having learned that a "new" all year round site was now open at Zaragoza in Spain, we returned via Spain at the end of March when there were more sites open for the season. Next year we will travel down to the same area via Western France, Zaragoza and then onto Valencia.

When we did our first winter trip it was John Douglas who offered us sound advice re the route and other travel issues - again thanks John.

Hope this may be of some help in your route finding.

Regards

Clubman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dan - How you doing?
110% thanks John. Busy pouring over maps etc for our trip across the water in September for 5 weeks and trying to decide on our destination for the winter sun in late Jan/Feb/Mar next year.

Regards

Dan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Message to John Douglas,

John,

A belated thank you for your excellent suggestion that I have a look at the N10 Atlantic route to Spain.

Having looked at the route I have found that;

1. The route as given from Rouen to Valencia (picked as a verifiable target) is actually shorter than my originally proposed route, and;

2. The number of sites available throughout the winter is far better than over the Massif Central.

Incidently, having looked at the 'Europe 1' book I couldn't help but observe that the vast majority of the all year round open sites enroute through France (on or near the N10) are owned by Brits. Good luck to them for injecting choice into our stopovers down to Spain.

Once again, Thank you

and Kindest regards

Del.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Next Question,

John,

When I get to the Fronco-Spanish border, do I ignore the N124 which looks, shall we say, pictureque? or go further into Spain and use the A15 motorway to get to Pamplona.

Thanks in advance.

Del

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Hi Del.

I always keep to the A63 at the end of the N10 dual carriageway. It's not a long stretch of toll motorway but it does miss a lot of towns. It's peage in the form of three toll stations along its length, but only around 10 Euros in all. Spanish toll charges for the A8 start immediately after the border but the first tollbooth only wants about 1.80 Euros - no charge for the caravan. You probably know diesel is considerably cheaper in Spain than in France so it's worth hanging on. The first filling station, off to the right is only about 100 yards after the toll booth - easy to miss. You need to take the N1 at San Sebastian and the 4 lanes keep splitting with two going in different directions, so I find it best to hog the middle lanes. The N1 is the only road I've ever used, and in less than 15 miles the road climbs from sea level to 850 metres. I've never used the N121 but I would expect it to be like the N1 used to be - single carriageway and lots of hairpin bends. The bends are still there but the N1/A15 are now dual carriageway. Probably quicker as well!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are going to Valencia or further south, a good route involves a frist night at Futuriste Poitiers or Moulin d@Augerne (?) Pons, then La Rouletta at St jean de Luz, then Sabinan Park - may be called Savinan - in CC1 book under Calatayud then to Valencia. If you are keen and the weather good then Pons to Sabinan in one go is possible - 388 miles but 4 lane most of the way, except the "short cut" avoiding Zaragoza from magellon to La alumina. Now resurfaced and good.

N121 from Irun to Pamplona looks OK on the map[ but is under very intense major roadworks - new tunnels etc. and not recommended unless you like sitting watching construction machinery. There is a filling station sson after you turn south on N1/A15 at San Sebastian, but they are pretty spread out along the rest of the route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts