Overnighting at Ouistreham

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Can anybody suggest a good place near the Brittany Ferry terminal at Ouistreham where we can park up our car and caravan in February after arriving at 9.30pm?
Last year we stayed in the car park near the terminal but there wasn't enough room really for the whole rig. It's not worth paying for the Pommiers Camping for such a short time.
Alan

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Alan

just a little tip about staying "off site"...dont do it! we used to despite my other halfs protestations until the inevitable happened when we were broken into whilst we were sleeping overnight. Very scary and it happenes a lot. I would seriously consider staying at a recognised site and making it part of the holidays. The area is steeped in WW2 history with the D Days landings and the whole story around Pegasus Bridge is well worth spending a couple of days to check out. We stayed at Les Hautes Coutures near Benouville a good site in a great location.

Jim

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that Jim. We've done the Normandy Landings area some years ago. We shall be on our way to Spain in February so that's why we only want a night's stop. We always stay on campsites except at ports such Calais or Ouistreham when we're on a late ferry. I think I've found a place - it's a municipal camper-van service area right outside the dock so we'll try that. At this time of year I can't see a problem with a car and caravan combo.
Regards
Alan

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I dont realy understand the reluctance to use Les Pommiers.Last year we left that same ferry and were settled down there 15 mins later without having to unhitch. It cost €16.85 fo a safe quiet night, compared with the previous night on Rooksbury Park at £22.40 I call that a bargin. Its not the greatest site in the world but it is very convenient, open in low season and they stay open late for the ferries. If we dont use places like this, unbooked night halts for late arrivals will be as hard to find as they are in the UK.
David

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I've just sent an email to Les Pommiers to check on late arrivals. We stayed there last year on the way home from Spain in April but weren't impressed with the san facs. However, for a good nights sleep I accept your points on security. We can probably go to the end of the site where the motor homes go at that hour.
Alan

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Alan Brooker said:
Thanks for the comments. I've just sent an email to Les Pommiers to check on late arrivals. We stayed there last year on the way home from Spain in April but weren't impressed with the san facs. However, for a good nights sleep I accept your points on security. We can probably go to the end of the site where the motor homes go at that hour.
Alan
I emailed them last year with the same question and I think it was 10 oclock.
david

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Alan,
We did the same crossing in June last year and had a similar problem finding somewhere to stay overnight etc arriving at that time. We have two young children so didnt want to stay at the port etc
In the end we stayed at Camping des Capucines in Ranville which is about 15 mins from the port. I e-mailed the campsite and they e-mailed me back the barrier code to get in, parked overnight, didn't even un hitch, the site was pretty quiet and the pitches backed onto each other so just drove in one side and back out the other.
Paid in the morning when reception opened.
We are on the same crossing in June this year and will be staying there again.
website:- http://www.calvados-tourisme.com/fr/154/1/0/HPANOR014FS0006W/sit/detail/se-loger/campings/Camping-des-Capucines/RANVILLE/
e-mail:- campingdescapucines.14@orange.fr
Regards
Richard

May 15, 2010
Visit site
For just an overnight stop with my caravan in France, I rarely use a site as it seems a waste of money for a few hours. I seek out a small town square well off the main road and settle down for the night. I have never had any security problems and often find that the squares are surrounded by cafes etc for eating. Once, a Gendarme came to ask if we were OK and to point out the location of the bakery! He welcomed us to 'his' town and wished us 'bon voyage. Naturally, we don't leave any waste nor any other signs of our brief stay. The only security problems I have ever come across, have been break-ins on sites! (never involving my outfit, thankfully). If you think about it for a moment, if someone wants to find vans to burgle, where better to look than on a site? And as for 'site security' it's usually no more than a farce. Although I'm quite happy to do this in rural France, I don't think I would sleep on an autoroute service area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts