Paint crazing on front panel Sterling Elite

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi people just giving my caravan a good wash and noticed we’ve got paint crazing on the area in the front panel is this covered under the warranty can it be repaired or am I going to be looking at a new front panel ?
Thanks
Adrian

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi people just giving my caravan a good wash and noticed we’ve got paint crazing on the area in the front panel is this covered under the warranty can it be repaired or am I going to be looking at a new front panel ?
Thanks
Adrian
What age is your caravan, did you buy it from a dealer? Caravans with grp front panels do lose their gloss quite easily and as the paint coat is thin it doesn’t like over enthusiastic polishing. But not aware of many grp panels cracking other than where the fixings have been incorrectly inserted. Could you provide a bit more info please?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How old is the caravan? Panels on all brands are only under manufacturer's warranty for one year however after the 1st year it is the dealer's responsibility to resolve the issue as one expects an item costing as much as a caravan to be durable and last several or more years without any major issues.
I would like to take the opportunity to point out that generally crazing is cosmetic and unlikely that the caravan will leak in that area unless it gets really serious. Perhaps some pictures may help you get the best advice.
We did have crazing on our 2016 caravan and the front panel was replaced, but within 3 months the crazing appeared again, but in a different area. We then rejected the caravan as the back panel started cracking in addition to crazing.

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks for the reply’s the caravan is 2016 so only just 4 years old .we did buy it from a dealer but they are currently closed Due too Covid 19

Attachments

• 1F9A5529-4AF0-4762-AE16-6B04539CA9EC.jpeg
    1F9A5529-4AF0-4762-AE16-6B04539CA9EC.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DF05715D-B315-4374-9F71-D4BC9DFB8B18.jpeg
    DF05715D-B315-4374-9F71-D4BC9DFB8B18.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 36
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours was a 2016 Elddis Buccaneer caravan and crazing was more in less in the same area. It was common across a number of brands. I doubt if you will have much luck with a claim off the dealer however as it is only cosmetic it is not an expensive repair. Remember that the repair will have its own warranty.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the warranty has run out on the front panel then your only option is a claim against the dealer that sold it, on the basis that it was faulty when you bought it. Given the age of the caravan this will not be easy, you would need to show that the problem relates to faulty manufacture. You can ask your contact at Premier Caravans if e can give you a report on the cause, but if he cannot confirm the problem is a manufacturing fault, a claim would be unlikely to succeed.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
What IMO we have here is "star burst" cracking of the gel coat on GRP, it is caused by impact or a pressure point locally on the GRP, internally or externally.
The good news bits are, it rarely is of more consequences than cosmetic, and it can be repaired.
The far from good bit, is you are going to have a monumental struggle to prove it is down to an inherent manufacturing fault, just coming evident 4 years on.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Had similar on our Coachman, about 15 months old. Manufacturer said impact damage. Dealer said stress but I had to pay. Quotes ranged from £150 to £750. Went for £250. Needed plastic welding and spray. Excellent job. Our was an ABS panel with acrylic coat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you want to know what is covered by your Manufactures warranty or Dealer warranty read the documentation supplied at the time of sale. That should explain what is covered and what is not.

If you wanted to be able to claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, then as you have owned the caravan for more than 6 months you would have to seek evidence it was a fault that was present at the time of sale, but was hidden so that reasonable inspection would not have exposed it.

At 4 years in your ownership, and bearing in mind the pictures you have sent I would say that is a non starter, as the dealer could easily say the damage was cause after sale (normal wear and tear) and you would have to prove it wasn't. In any case the damage is not critical to the function or safety of the caravan.

Sadly sometimes we do have stand the cost of issues like this, and caravans do have a cost of maintenance and ownership.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What IMO we have here is "star burst" cracking of the gel coat on GRP, it is caused by impact or a pressure point locally on the GRP, internally or externally.
The good news bits are, it rarely is of more consequences than cosmetic, and it can be repaired.
The far from good bit, is you are going to have a monumental struggle to prove it is down to an inherent manufacturing fault, just coming evident 4 years on.

It's certainly a known issue on any GRP-bodied car - not a manufacturing fault, more of a "feature"

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Possibly caused by something moving about in the front locker. Seems to be two separate points of impact. Less likely is stress from over enthusiastic pulling on the front handle.
When we started out I was told at handover that handles were for pushing, not pulling.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It's certainly a known issue on any GRP-bodied car - not a manufacturing fault, more of a "feature"

Indeed, Roger as I said, "you are going to have a monumental struggle to prove it is down to an inherent manufacturing fault,"

Possibly caused by something moving about in the front locker. Seems to be two separate points of impact.

Yes, I thought much the same due to the specifics of their profile, in particular no evidence of impact chipping.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you want to know what is covered by your Manufactures warranty or Dealer warranty read the documentation supplied at the time of sale. That should explain what is covered and what is not.

If you wanted to be able to claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, then as you have owned the caravan for more than 6 months you would have to seek evidence it was a fault that was present at the time of sale, but was hidden so that reasonable inspection would not have exposed it.

At 4 years in your ownership, and bearing in mind the pictures you have sent I would say that is a non starter, as the dealer could easily say the damage was cause after sale (normal wear and tear) and you would have to prove it wasn't. In any case the damage is not critical to the function or safety of the caravan.

Sadly sometimes we do have stand the cost of issues like this, and caravans do have a cost of maintenance and ownership.
Good reply. There have been numerous reports of crazing or cracks of front panels across all brands and it is a known issue with caravan circa 2016 I would think that the OP stands a very good chance of the work being done under warranty despite the age of the caravan. Even better if the caravan is on finance. I would recommend that the OP gets in touch with Which Legal Services for the correct legal advice if the dealer tries to fob him off as the OP should not be paying a single cent towards the repair.

Here is a copy of the report on our 2016 caravan and the report was dobe by an AWS technician and helped tip the scales in our favour;

Having inspected your caravan please see my report below. I have underlined the relevant parts.
Condition:

The caravan is in good condition throughout showing little wear and tear, with the caravan having had replacement front and rear panels fitted. This is evident from the uneven application of sealant to be seen at the edges of the awning rails along the edge of these panels, not something found on caravans from the factory.
Notable faults/Damage:
The front outer windows do not appear to have had the rubber seals refitted correctly causing the window catch to pinch the rubber and stop it from sealing completely. The upper window/skylight has been sealed back in using both white and black sealant with messy edges easily in view when sitting or standing inside the caravan. This window also has a small crack coming into view from behind some of the sealant at the bottom. The headlining appears to have been caught and damaged by something sharp. There are cracks coming up from the NS bottom corner of the front panel, one around 4-5 inches the other over a foot long.
Conclusion:
With the caravan not being a year old yet all work should be completed under warranty which I believe the front and rear panels have been. However I feel that the quality of the work in replacing these may not be up to manufacturer’s finish or standards; I would also be concerned with the window seals not meeting the window properly and the cracked window/skylight. The front panel cracking does not appear to be from an impact and looks to be more from the stresses applied it from the rest of the caravan, meaning this should be covered by warranty. A slight curvature noticeable where the front panel meets the side panel may be inducing more stress than it was designed for.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate what Buckman says, but this is not twelve months old but four, and the time difference is very relevant. I did say that the OP needs his repairer or some other expert to give the OP a report that would confirm that this was a manufacturing problem and the panel was faulty from the beginning. Unless he can get a report like the one Buckman has obtained to support him, then there is no point in going to Which or any other legal service. I have been accused of being a bit gung ho at taking these cases further, but in this case I have very grave doubts this one can succeed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate what Buckman says, but this is not twelve months old but four, and the time difference is very relevant. I did say that the OP needs his repairer or some other expert to give the OP a report that would confirm that this was a manufacturing problem and the panel was faulty from the beginning. Unless he can get a report like the one Buckman has obtained to support him, then there is no point in going to Which or any other legal service. I have been accused of being a bit gung ho at taking these cases further, but in this case I have very grave doubts this one can succeed.

I think I would be correct in saying that it does not matter on age if you are able to demonstrate that it is an inherent fault with caravans of that era which it seems to be taking into account the number of complaints about front and rear panels. If you can prove it is an inherent fault, then under CRA 2015 the dealer is still responsible 4 years later. I doubt if it will be all that difficult to prove that it is an inherent fault?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EDIT note. Whilst I was composing this reply other contributors added some shorter comments that touch on some of teh subjects I have included

Whilst Buckman's posting does show that some claims for cracking might succeed, ArdianChandle's circumstances are somewhat different which introduce considerable uncertainty about making a successful CRA claim.

1. Buckman's caravan was new and the problem manifested its self within the first year of ownership. This by virtue of its young age suggests the goods were not of adequate quality/durability to last a reasonable life time. By comparison AC's caravan is now 4 years old and this is the first time it has had this fault reported. Without further evidence to the contrary it has to be assumed the cracks were not previously present.

2. AC purchased the caravan secondhand. The CRA does not replace the customers responsibility to ensure the goods are fit for their intended purpose. There should have been ample time for AC to inspect the goods prior to agreeing to purchase. That inspection should have pick up the cracks if they were present at the time (with the caveat that hidden defects may not be detected). The fact AC agreed to the purchase confirms his acceptance of the condition of the caravan as offered. I find it very difficult to believe that a caravan with a propensity to develop cracks could survive for three years without any signs of them, only to produce them in it's fourth year, thus I don't think the instance could be laid at the door of the manufacturers as a know prior issue.

3. It is well known that most plastics and gel coats do deteriorate over time due to exposure to sunlight and other harmful agents , and as a consequence it is not entirely surprising that older units do start to develop surface defects. This may detract from the appearance of goods, but it rarely causes goods to become unsafe or unable to be used. It reinforces the advice about taking care of goods will prolong not only service life but also appearance.

4. Because the caravan is now 4 years old it is well into its expected life expectancy, and if it were still with its original owner the CRA window of opportunity would have been 2/3 spent. Whilst a new CRA window opens with a new purchase contract, the act does take into account the age and expected condition of goods and on that basis I strongly suspect the chances of success of a CRA action are less than 33%

Consequently the costs of obtaining an expert report and pursuing a CRA challenge with such a high likelihood of failure (and added legal costs of the other side) costs success is probably considerably greater than having the surface cracks repaired.

I suggest this is one case where its better to roll with the punches.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'd agree Prof; on first glance it looks like impact damage of some sort and if it looks like that to a layperson it'll be the devil's own job to prove otherwise. They ask if a towing cover was fitted at all times etc-it could simply be a ball on a site somewhere. At the age of the caravan anything could have caused it!

Reactions: JTQ and ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
EDIT note. Whilst I was composing this reply other contributors added some shorter comments that touch on some of teh subjects I have included

Whilst Buckman's posting does show that some claims for cracking might succeed, ArdianChandle's circumstances are somewhat different which introduce considerable uncertainty about making a successful CRA claim.

1. Buckman's caravan was new and the problem manifested its self within the first year of ownership. This by virtue of its young age suggests the goods were not of adequate quality/durability to last a reasonable life time. By comparison AC's caravan is now 4 years old and this is the first time it has had this fault reported. Without further evidence to the contrary it has to be assumed the cracks were not previously present.

2. AC purchased the caravan secondhand. The CRA does not replace the customers responsibility to ensure the goods are fit for their intended purpose. There should have been ample time for AC to inspect the goods prior to agreeing to purchase. That inspection should have pick up the cracks if they were present at the time (with the caveat that hidden defects may not be detected). The fact AC agreed to the purchase confirms his acceptance of the condition of the caravan as offered. I find it very difficult to believe that a caravan with a propensity to develop cracks could survive for three years without any signs of them, only to produce them in it's fourth year, thus I don't think the instance could be laid at the door of the manufacturers as a know prior issue.

3. It is well known that most plastics and gel coats do deteriorate over time due to exposure to sunlight and other harmful agents , and as a consequence it is not entirely surprising that older units do start to develop surface defects. This may detract from the appearance of goods, but it rarely causes goods to become unsafe or unable to be used. It reinforces the advice about taking care of goods will prolong not only service life but also appearance.

4. Because the caravan is now 4 years old it is well into its expected life expectancy, and if it were still with its original owner the CRA window of opportunity would have been 2/3 spent. Whilst a new CRA window opens with a new purchase contract, the act does take into account the age and expected condition of goods and on that basis I strongly suspect the chances of success of a CRA action are less than 33%

Consequently the costs of obtaining an expert report and pursuing a CRA challenge with such a high likelihood of failure (and added legal costs of the other side) costs success is probably considerably greater than having the surface cracks repaired.

I suggest this is one case where its better to roll with the punches.

Good advice however you miss the point about it being a known inherent fault. Secondly it costs NOTHING to speak to Which Legal Services so not sure why a poster is saying do not bother? I think that the OP requires the correct legal advice and Which Legal Services is the way forward and not advcie from a forum although well meaning.
BTW with another caravan from 2004 we put in a claim for a replacement mattress when the caravan was 4 years old and we were successful.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Isn't "Which Legal" a Which member's subscription service, with £29 joining fee and £9/month, rather than a service that "costs nothing"?

Or are we being told of some other "Which Legal Services", not the trademark "Which"?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts