Panoramic Window

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........noticed a leak in the front inside corner of my 2012 Swift below the front windows.
Not obvious where the water was entering so did thorough check round and found that the panoramic widow had become unstuck around half it's circumference.
These windows are only sealed and held in place by a silicone type selant and failure of this sealed joint is apparently common.

Looking like I might get a hot dry spell of weather to tackle the repair!

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
........noticed a leak in the front inside corner of my 2012 Swift below the front windows.
Not obvious where the water was entering so did thorough check round and found that the panoramic widow had become unstuck around half it's circumference.
These windows are only sealed and held in place by a silicone type selant and failure of this sealed joint is apparently common.

I'm glad you found that problem early Bill, 👍

Reactions: Gafferbill
May 24, 2014
Visit site
So sorry to hear of your trouble with this as I myself have just been through it. Even the brand new repaired roof leaked and had to be replaced again. From what i experienced the new roof came with a fitting kit but not sure what was included with it. I would check with Swift ti find out what this kit entails before you tackle the job.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Hi Bill Glad you can sort it good luck

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Don't know what Swift used...rumoured they used Soudal.
IMO that method of fixing was never going to work long term.....too much flexing whilst being towed....... worse if you do high mileage;)
Still lasted 9 years!

I'll be using Soudal Fix all.....I've never had work done by a dealer in 26 years of owning 2 caravans....not going to start now:)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Bill, Have you noticed much difference in build quality between this 2012 van and your previous much older van ( sorry can’t remember how old)?
Mel

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Yes Mel..... both Swift Challengers, the first one bought new in 1995 and dismantled by me in 2018...... ebayed parts for around £1000 as at the time I couldn't find a buyer for the whole caravan and I needed the space for home storage for the newer van.
Fixtures and fittings much better in the newer van but bizarrely had to reinforce some seat slats in exactly the same places in both vans.
Appliances much more complicated in newer van....hope they don't go wrong!
Structure of older van much stronger IMO with glass fibre end panels.
The floor sanwich was twice as thick in the old van which must mean it was stronger.
Holes cut in the roof is another big difference.....7 in new van for vents, TV aerial, gas fire vent and panoramic window .....only 3 in the old van.......all these extra holes have potential for leaks :(

Still happy with this newer van as it had been very well looked after and came with all the kit as previous owner was giving up.
Bought privately for less than half the price of the then current new model which also had a lower specification.

Reactions: Mel
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes Mel..... both Swift Challengers, the first one bought new in 1995 and dismantled by me in 2018...... ebayed parts for around £1000 as at the time I couldn't find a buyer for the whole caravan and I needed the space for home storage for the newer van.
Fixtures and fittings much better in the newer van but bizarrely had to reinforce some seat slats in exactly the same places in both vans.
Appliances much more complicated in newer van....hope they don't go wrong!
Structure of older van much stronger IMO with glass fibre end panels.
The floor sanwich was twice as thick in the old van which must mean it was stronger.
Holes cut in the roof is another big difference.....7 in new van for vents, TV aerial, gas fire vent and panoramic window .....only 3 in the old van.......all these extra holes have potential for leaks :(

Still happy with this newer van as it had been very well looked after and came with all the kit as previous owner was giving up.
Bought privately for less than half the price of the then current new model which also had a lower specification.
Bill your new van looked great when we saw it, just a minor hickup, all be sorted, ☺

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Update...........panoramic window repaired:)

Preparation about 90% of job....carefully parting window from old sealant without damage very slow and laborious, even though half the old sealant had parted already.
Not helped with difficult position of window in terms of working !!
Needed to utilise large robust garden table to stand on.
Removed all traces of old sealant from window and caravan and was amazed how thin the plastic panel is in this area:(
Refitted window after thorough cleaning of joint surfaces.
Used4 tubes of Soudal bonding sealant and left to cure without moving the caravan for 3 days.

Last evening we had a thunderstorm with torrential rain......no leaks:):)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Removed all traces of old sealant from window and caravan and was amazed how thin the plastic panel is in this area

Funny you should say that. When we inspected our insurance repair that went wrong, I had the chance to see the van with window removed and i was staggered as to the weakness of the surrounding structure which was so thin it was flexing in a gentle breeze.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Preparation about 90% of job....carefully parting window from old sealant without damage very slow and laborious, even though half the old sealant had parted already.
Removed all traces of old sealant from window and caravan and was amazed how thin the plastic panel is in this area:(
Used4 tubes of Soudal bonding sealant and left to cure without moving the caravan for 3 days.

Bill Great news :)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

Well done Bill.

A bit of a foregone conclusion on my part as to whether or not you would effect and succesfully conclude remedial works.

👋👋👋👋👋

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
2015 Elegance Had mine replaced by Swift. Ok for a while then a lot of rai ingress. Damaged front cushions. (replaced by Swift) My local mobile engineer went to replace the window only to find that the replacement was cracked . He has now resealed the outside of the window. His conclusion as to why it leaked was because when it was fitted by a Swift engineer at my premises he did not support the centre of the window aperture when pressing down to spread the sealant. An he is probably right because i watched when it was fitted. So if you are going to tackle the replacement Make sure you put a support on the inside centre so that the glass is sealed completely

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts