Parking

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After hearing of a few caravans being stolen from the caravan storage I use we decided to keep our caravan on our drive way, also in the small print I noticed that I would'nt have been insured anyway because the place didnt have a 24 hour lighting facility. Now what I want to know is there any law forbiddin me keeping my caravan on my drive way, its not interfering in any way with the neighbours what so ever but there does seem to be one certain neighbour who has started to give me some rather peculiar looks. I dont want to upset anybody from where I live but I do want to look after my investment whatever it takes. Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul, you need to check your house deeds and local bylaws. I have no problem with my house (built in 1960) but my daughters house built 15 years later has a clause that forbids storage of a caravan if it can be seen from the street (so its ok if you can get it in the back garden out of sight) and this applies to her whole estate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul.

I am in the same situation. I would check the in the deeds of your house to see if there are any covenants restricting you from keeping a caravan on your drive. Also check with your local council by phoning them. They can be very helpful.

Regards,

Sean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is in the lease agreement of our house that you cannot park a caravan on the property. Having spoken to citizens advice we were told that it is very rare for the council to pursue the issue because it would be too much bother. They would have to contact all caravan owners in the borough because the ones that they did contact would complain if they did not, and it would cause them too much work

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, some of the more recent new housing schemes had covenants put in by the builders forbidding the storage of caravans on the properties. They are keen that whilst the site is being developed that prospective purchasers are not 'put off' by the sight of caravans. Unfortunately, these covenants remain in force once the site has been completed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The covenant is usually set up by the builder,many of which soon go out of business and probably have no interest in the houses once finished anyway.As has been said check with the local council .You will probably be OK if you don't mind the glares from the neighbours.We have kept our van by the house for 25 years as we made sure the we had no restrictive covenant when we bought.We have often wondered if our (same) neighbours across the lane were bothered but they never said anything.A few weeks ago they asked about the van as they are thinking of getting one themselves !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

I do sympathise with you over your parking problem,BUT,surely when you park on the front or rear of your house and from a security point of view everyone including the local burglers know when you are away because your vans not there.I park my caravan on a storage sight with full lighting and yes caravans do go missing and they are mainly twin axle caravans because thats what the travelling fraternity favour.I would say that you have a lot of thinking to do.Good Luck and happy caravanning.Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find variance according to your deeds. In my case we were allowed to park a caravan 'behind the building line' in other words alongside the house or behind the house, but not exposed at the front.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts