Passat Towbars and Parking Sensors

NED

May 10, 2006
Visit site
I want to fit a standard fixed 2-bolt towball to a 2004 Passat Highline Estate with rear parking sensors. I have been told I must fit a detachable towball (at extra expense of £100-£150). The VW dealerships I have spoken to have told me that I can't adjust or turn off the parking sensors - but I have not been convinced (they seemed to be too quick with an answer and different dealers have propvided slightly different information and some web forums seem to suggest the changes can be made if I spend £300 on a programming tool and risk wrecking my car changing the settings).

I either pay the extra or put up with a constant buzz evertime reverse gear is engaged.

Has anyone else managed to get round this problem without paying the extra for a detachable towball?

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I have a witter quantum detatchable tow bar which was on my passat for about 9 months if you are interested, they are about

May 18, 2006
Visit site
i have an 04 Passat highline estate with a witter towbar.I have the same problem with the parking sensors however the towbar fitter advised me to put the car in reverse ,then the sensor works ,take it out of gear ,put it back in reverse , no buzzing.

NED

May 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've followed up a number of options:

-ringing alternative towbar fitters hoping they have a solution,

-ringing Witter direct

-ringing multiple VW dealers (they can't switch off or recalibrate the sensors)

So I have booked the car in to get a detachable towbar fitted.

spj - The offer was kind, but I'm not confident enough to fit a towbar to a new car.

Jonathan - I've tried your idea but it doesn't seem to work. I placed an axle stand on the floor to simulate the towbar putting the car into reverese, then neutral and then reverse. The sensors bleeped each time reverse was selected.

Ian (on the other thread), RogerL and Hamer - The sensors on the Passat would pick up the towbar without having a caravan or trailer hitched. So, the switch wouldn't work unless it turned off the sensors for good until the towbar was removed (I asked VW about this and they said they couldn't do it). As for how often would I been in reverse, quite a few times daily and (as I found out last week when a bit of dirt caused the sensors to bleep) it is extremely annoying to have a constant buzz when reversing (noting that this is an activity which needs some concentration). When I had a Laguna with similar sensors I could cope with the 'van being detected during reversing because, as Roger implies, you don't reverse caravans very often.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts