Paying to leave later - what's reasonable.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
As a caravan user who is fortunate to live in Cornwall and uses their van most weekends in the summer - March to October - I am surprised by the variation in sites willingness to allow us to stay late on say a Sunday afternoon if we arrived late Friday evening. The willingness of the site to allow us to stay until late is something that can make a difference between booking and not booking. Don't get me wrong I don't want anything for free but for those of us that work weekdays we can't always get to the site early so why can't we stay late?? I also appreciate that obviously sites have people coming on to the pitch so we would have to move - that's fine but perhaps there could be a little space for people to leave there van if they stay want to stay late. Another thing that strikes me is that between the bank holidays sites are quiet especially at the moment (we stayed on a site last weekend and were the only van on a 100 pitches.) Locals are sites fallback surely - can't there be some flexibility. In my experience some sites want you off the pitch as early as 10am and I have been quoted £10 to stay until 6pm when I only arrived at 7.30pm on the Friday - I could have been there from 11am - bit steep to charge a tenner. Or maybe I'm wrong ----- discuss.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob - We have just rturned from Plassey Leisure Park and on the Saturday before leaving the site owner (John) came to our van to have a chat - we told him we were leaving for home on Sunday, a distance of 195 miles, and he told us we were able to stay on our pitch until 6:00pm and travel through the evening if we so wished. He was very helpful and there are not many site owners who enquire of their visitors of their enjoyment and well being. A very pleasnt change from the norm.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
When we stayed at Rowston Holiday Park at easter, we didn,t arrive until eight o clock on the Friday evening, and we had to be off the pitch by ten o clock on the Sunday morning, which would have been a bit of a rush because we had my young nephew who is only a baby. We ended up paying an extra ten pounds to stay until one o clock. Don,t get me wrong, i don,t mind paying extra, but considering we didn,t arrive till late and there was no one booked onto our pitch, they could have given us a bit more leeway and allowed us a bit more time to pack everything up without charging us the extra.

I also think that it is a good idea to have a space for people to be able to leave their van there if they want to stay until later especially if you have to be off your pitch early.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I could be wrong but I don't see that many people arriving on a Sunday afternoon.

In fact I'd go as far as to say in all the times I've stayed late on a camp on a Sunday I think I've only ever witnessed 3 or 4 arrivals.

Surely it wouldn't hurt to let you hang about until you have a bite at lunchtime then leave? If sites were willing to do this for maybe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The caravan club sites local to us will allow you to stay on site until up to 8pm on a Sunday providing they are not fully booked. I am afraid if a site asked me for an extra tenner to stay for a few extra hours it would be the last time I visited them.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I just recalled a time in Ayr when I was told I could have a late stay (until 6pm) but couldn't stay the night. I guess they could have been expecting late arrivals, but I like to think they were just being twisted.

May 29, 2006
Visit site
Rob - We have just rturned from Plassey Leisure Park and on the Saturday before leaving the site owner (John) came to our van to have a chat - we told him we were leaving for home on Sunday, a distance of 195 miles, and he told us we were able to stay on our pitch until 6:00pm and travel through the evening if we so wished. He was very helpful and there are not many site owners who enquire of their visitors of their enjoyment and well being. A very pleasnt change from the norm.
I also live in Cornwall and like Rob go locally most weekends through the summer months but find the same problem. Campsite owners don't mind you arriving late on a Friday night but a few don't seen keen to let you stay on on the Sunday. When you go for just a weekend 10 am is to early to go home. I think

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
I could be wrong but I don't see that many people arriving on a Sunday afternoon.

In fact I'd go as far as to say in all the times I've stayed late on a camp on a Sunday I think I've only ever witnessed 3 or 4 arrivals.

Surely it wouldn't hurt to let you hang about until you have a bite at lunchtime then leave? If sites were willing to do this for maybe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What's your thoughts on Plassey, Colin?

May 29, 2006
Visit site
I also live in Cornwall and like Rob go locally most weekends through the summer months but find the same problem. Campsite owners don't mind you arriving late on a Friday night but a few don't seem keen to let you stay on late on the Sunday. When you go for a weekend 10am is to early to go home. I think

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have responded to our visit to Plassey on the UK sites section of the forum. To put it in a nutshell the answer would be FIRST CLASS.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
I couldn,t agree more, i,m sure people wouldn,t mind paying a little extra just to stay until lunchtime, it would make life so much easier, especially to people with young children, because i know from experience how hard it is trying to keep the young ones entertained and trying to pack the awning and the caravan and be off the pitch by ten o clock.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
I live in Cornwall and have just booked a weekend in July at Warcombe Farm. We won't get there until Fri evening and so would like to stay until Sunday night. The owner said that the only way he can guarantee the pitch is for me to pay the extra night - and so we have. Am I mad! Denise

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you colin, we live in devon and find the same issue, it quite often puts us off going for a w/e as like you we woulnt get to site untill 7/8pm and that would be local. leaving at 10am on the sunday is just a no no.

Come onn liz where are you when we need your input on how your site deals with this

kevin h

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
My my what have I started - I'm glad it's not just me that has the problem with weekends. Everyone appreciates that sites have a business to run but by being 'flexible' surely they would get more bookings this appears to be the consensus so far. School holidays etc it would be diferent story but then as I said a small area for those of us who either would like to travel away from the rush or who were local and wanted to make the most of our weekend away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I don't understand why sites can't allow a days booking to be 24 hours, most seem to have computerised systems or tills that print the time on the receipt, so if you arrive at 8 pm you leave at say 7pm on the day of departure, allows an hour for changeover. If you arrive at 10am you leave at 9am on departure day, mind you it would involve a little more co operation from the wardens.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts