pensioners

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Nothing to do with caravans, but had to give bllod tests this morning. start work at 9. test centre opens at half 8. got there early at 8 to be at the front of the line so i can mAke work on time and guess what !!!!!!
32 old and wrinklies with pink rinces in front of me.

One gentleman complaining as he wAnts to go home and go back to bed!!!!

Where do they all come from at this time of the morning? why do they all have to be first in the line?
what are they going to do with the rest of the day?
Why do i always get sat next to the old dear who asks "what are you here for?"
"whats your simptoms?"
"isnt the wheather nice?"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

All i want to do is get out of here and go to work.

blood pressure now at boiling point.

rant over. count to 10

oh no another mini bus full of pensioners has arrived. I think this place must be on there social event calender.

Im just a working family man. GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!

cheers
John

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
starlight dj said:
Where do they all come from at this time of the morning? why do they all have to be first in the line?
"whats your simptoms?"
You'll be a pensioner one day dude, or not if you keep raising your blood pressure instead of going with the flow, you lost in the queue race, get over it.
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On a seroius note,
If you are unhappy about the appointment sytsem write to the practice manager explaining your points. Do you have a suggestion that might improve things, if so tell them.

Our surgery has quite specific appointment times for things like blood tests, and are usually withing about 5mins of the shcedule, however ther is a down side, in that if you need to see someone else, they may not be there at the same time so it can mean several visits rather than just one.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
You failed to say why you went for blood tests starlight but guessing from your post it must be stress related
smiley-undecided.gif

One point you have overlooked. Those wrinklies have made it to that age but somehow I wouldn't put money on you doing likewise
smiley-smile.gif

You never mentioned your age but in my time on the ambulance service stress related coronarys were hitting people in their 40's, mainly men, and from what ex colleagues who are still on the service tell me it's down into the 30's so if you've made it to 50 count yourself lucky but in future if I was in your shoes I'd make sure I had good insurance covering my holidays ... heh! heh! heh!
Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong in wanting to get to work and all credit to you especially as people like your goodself are paying taxes for my pension to allow me to live the life I've become accustomed to. Thank you
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i am 65 approaching 66 soon , and when i have a blood test its normally a fasting one , so i like to get there early so i can get home and have my breakfast , and my answer to your question what do we do all day , well at the moment i am plastering the porch to the front of my house , i have alrerady been on the roof and replaced the lead flashing ,next the shed roof needs replacing , i dont seem to have enough hours in the day , i may be a pensioner ,but i can pick a full 42 litre aquaroll up and put it on my shoulder , a lot of these youngsters today havent got a days work in them ,

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I'm not a pensioner yet but it is within sight. When I am, I fully intend to get to the doctor's early so that I can have a chin wag with fellow pensioners and the receptionist when folks are queuing behind me. I have every intention of going to the supermarket on a saturday when it is busy and doing the same; as well as slowly packing my bags and painfully going through my purse to count out the coppers to give the right money; at the same time commenting, "its my eyesight/arthritis". In fact I am practicing this now. I also plan on driving slowly in rush hour, peering over the steering wheel and waving cheerfully at the boy racers who give me offensive hand signals. When I get my hands on a mobility scooter I will use this in town on a saturday to block shop doorways. All this I will do, not because I have to but just because I will have earned the right to be annoying.
When I am old I shall wear purple...........
mel

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
This is not a general caravanning issue and should be deleted, not least as is it offensive and provocative - if you've got time to post such trash you've got time to sit and wait for a blood test.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Personally, as a pensioner, I can't see any problem in the post except that it should have been posted in Chit Chat. This is excuseable though because starlight was in a rush to get to work and was highly stressed at the time, poor soul
smiley-cry.gif

I'm actually glad that he made the post because it reminded me that I have an appointment in the morning which means early to bed tonight because I need to be up at 5am. At my time of life it takes me hours to get ready and due to my age my thought processes aren't as sharp. For one thing I'm undecided whether to use my free bus pass to get to my appointment or take my Sorento and use my free car park pass that the council supplies to us wrinklies. Whichever I do I will be eternally grateful for the likes of starlight for paying his taxes to allow us such little luxuries in life
smiley-laughing.gif

You were spot on in your final comment though.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I fully agree with Starlight. People who work, should have priority over the none working people when it comes to appointments. Dont get me wrong, but as a working mother, I genrally need appointments made within school time, as I can not phisically split myself in two doing a school run, and getting to a 9am appointment!! (I work nights, so that is not an issue to me.) The appointment system should not be a free for all approach, as I find myself holding open doors for the less able, and find myself at the back of the que!!!
I appreciate the need to have an early blood test for those that have to fast, but someone who is not working, (no age limits) can go home and have something to eat. My husband attended an appointment recently, and after waiting for his fasting bloods to be taken, and then getting into worlk late, he had to work over his lunch to make up for lost time!!! 5.30pm a very hungry and grumpy husband returned home!!!! Maybe the answer is to have one day a week when only working people attend, and leave the rest up for grabs.
Ta Julia

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pensioners rock! At least most of them have worked and paid into the system. The deserve respect.
smiley-laughing.gif

Now, if you were to make all the grumblings about single mothers, then that's another story. There was tallk about the bus services putting on bigger busses - so more single mothers could fit on the bus with their children and pushchairs.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sadly Her Indoors's post along with the OP says one of the things that's bad about modern day Britain. Selfishness.
In my working life I had a few appointments at the GPs or hospital including fasting. I simply took the appointment that was given me and arrived a few minutes before time. What I didn't do was count how many wrinklies were in the waiting room in front of me. Why I don't know, probably because I was taught to respect others which meant the thought never even crossed my mind. What might be surprising to the both of you is I didn't even care. Also being brought up in times of austerity after the war taught us to make do and appreciate what others did for us in fighting and dying for this country. What cannot be excused is the fact that it was our generation that should take the blame for todays Britain.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I can see Starlights point.He's been frustrated at having to wait when he's tried to make an early start with a full days work in front of him.He's not knocking pensioners in general.
Unfortunately whenever the masses descend it will always be the wrong time for somebody.Personally I find it frustrating when I have to call in to B+Q occasionally on a Wednesday as part of my buisness.My stress level goes up as I see the lines of pensioners getting their 10% discount and chatting away as though there wern't 10 other people waiting to pay and get back to work.
Older people ,I think,don't realise that modern life puts more demands on us all than in the more laid back days of their working lives.Its probably not for the better but thats the way it is.
Why would the one contributor want to carry his aquaroll on his shoulder?Has he not got a handle?He also likes to do a spot of younger person bashing.Some youngsters have no go in them but most are absolutely brilliant individuals who respond to a bit of encouragement instead of being put down.About the same proportion as with the pensioners i'd guess.
So,Starlight,I sympathise with you.
Good to have this grumble now.No doubt it'll be my turn to be on the receiving end in the future!

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I am a pensioner and worked 40+ years to earn the right. When I ask for a Doctor's appointment I take whatever is offered as in general my time is my own. When I have needed a fasting blood test I have always been told "we will fit you in as early as possible". This is usually at the first appointment of the day. So the system books anyone with this sort of test first thing in a morning - obviously many of them will be pensioners - that's 'cause we have been around so long we are dropping to bits and need regular servicing.
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
You know Starlight you have a point.
I'm only 61 but am amazed at the amount of wrinklies there are around.
I'll swear supermarkets grab teenagers paint their hair grey give them too tight trainers and push them back out as wrinklies.
They seem to be coming out of the walls round here, in fact a mate has the theory going the police are putting them on the roads to slow traffic. Y'know the ones I mean, they travel at one speed never indicate don't stop for junctions or roundabouts and just wobble about the roads. Don't get me onto the ones who park on disabled spots, leap out of the cars like athletes and then bumble into the supermarkets.
Luckily due to financial geniuses we've had running the country I'll probably never be a pensioner so I can snipe from the sidelines, and beside I feel really young when I'm sitting queing with a load of pensioners, doin the 'remember when Wagon Wheels were as big as a plate?'

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
oh dear starlight what are you thinking of,i hate seeing people get a whipping but you must have expected this.i`m only young myself (43)and have more respect for my elders.good luck my friend you might need it

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kopite said:
oh dear starlight what are you thinking of,i hate seeing people get a whipping but you must have expected this.i`m only young myself (43)and have more respect for my elders.good luck my friend you might need it

Don't worry kopite, I thrive on it as anyone who knows me will tell you
smiley-smile.gif

Another point is I can put myself down and laugh about it and it's probably the reason I don't suffer with stress unlike some younger members of this forum. I'm not a serious person (hence my nic) so again, although I have my views, I won't start blubbering about them if others disagree. I would hate to be a saddo
smiley-surprised.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
starlight dj said:
32 old and wrinklies with pink rinces in front of me.
One gentleman complaining as he wAnts to go home and go back to bed!!!!
"whats your simptoms?"
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
oh no another mini bus full of pensioners has arrived. I think this place must be on there social event calender.

No, of course he's not knocking pensioners RogerB, how silly of us to misread it. It's obviously our age which reminds me, I must get to SpecSavers which brings me back to oldies and appointments
smiley-wink.gif

Apologies if you feel you're on the receiving end RogerB but I'm just pointing out how you need to join me at SpecSavers ... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I started this thread whilst sitting in a waiting room for my turn to give fasting bloods.
It was never meant to be offensive as one poster stated or disrespectfull to any individual and if it came across that way I do apologise.

As stated this started as a rant,
To try and explain further our surgery offers two full mornings a week for taking bloods. they open at 8.30 and close at 12.00. First come first served.

As I work and my wife works nights my morning started at 6.30. get up, get myself sorted, wake up my two daughters, prepare their breakfast, make sure they get dressed properly, they have proper pe kit etc for school. get them out the door, drive two miles to my wife's work dropped the kids with her to take the kids to school on her way home. All this to ensure I was at the surgery early enough to be at the front of the que.
Not for wanting to be selfish or offensive to pensioners or disrespectfull by wanting to be in front of them in the line, but for the pure fact, if I am not in work at 9 am my start time my wages are doct on a rolling 15 minute basis.

The original post was made at 9.22 whilst the individuals infront of me without question had their turn, My turn came finally at 9.55 that 1 hour 55 mins after arriving. I left at 10.10 and made it finally to work at 10.40. I have therfor been deducted 1 hour 45 mins salary deducted for having to give a blood test.

My rant should be made at the surgery as the professor pointed out and this is now happening in the form of an official complaint. A simple appointement system would work well and at least like a doctors appointement i would know how long on average I could expect to wait and make sure i book far enough in advance to have the right time appointment

During my waiting time I was firstly amazed at 8am when I arrived at the surgery just how many pensioners were stood outside, I did feel like a kid amongst them even though Im in my forties. Standing and listening to them chat as they shuffled from foot to foot in the cold got me thinking what are they doing here at this time of the day? When I retire I want to lie in. they wernt turning up for a set appointment, they could come along anytime before 12. so why so early.
One particular guy had got up especially, stood in line and started complaining how long it was taking as he wanted to go home and go back to bed!! why get up in the first inst. stay in bed and come later.

Due to being late back to work as well as salary being doct I then had a work load and lots of return calls to make before I could eat after having my fasting bloods taken, this as it hapens turned out to be 2.30 (8 hours after gettin up) , so I didnt have the luxury of returning home for a breakfast.

Put yourself in my shoes and I bet you would feel exactly the same. Go with the flow yes I agree if somebody would pay me for the luxery.

Unless circumstances change I know i will now have this situation repeated in future. and nothing but a rant to get my feelings of my chest will help matters.

Bottling things up makes matters worst at least now right or wrongly ive vented my frustrations, blood pressure returned to normal, just have to try and figure out how to fit in overtime to try and make my sallary back up or something will have to give.

Cheers
John

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sedo said:
Luckily due to financial geniuses we've had running the country I'll probably never be a pensioner

I assume Sado means those who have been ruining the country and not those running it. People like the bank bosses who pay themselves millions in bonuses despite the fact they brought the banks to their knees and most are now part owned by the state. Not many of them are wrinklies as they retire at about 50 years of age with more pension per month than I got per annum when working.
I'm so sorry you don't feel you'll ever retire but I do know that I can thoroughly recommend it.
Just keep taking the stress pills and hopefully you'll make it one day
smiley-laughing.gif

BTW thanks for reminding me. Yes, I remember when Wagon Wheels were as big as a plate and when Izal bum fodder had a slippy side. The latter was probably the most important lesson I learned in my early life and I only made the mistake once
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
kopite said:
Lordb do the oldies pay for an eye test or do i pay it for them

Tut! tut! kopite, you don't expect us to pay for the tests do you? They stop at the age of 60 unless you suffer from a condition like glaucoma when it is free whatever age
smiley-smile.gif

Unfortunately we still have to pay £16.50 for dental check ups so can I ask those younger ones still working to just put a little bit more effort in at their workplace so as we can get that free also
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Sorry all just to clarify, her in doors, Julia is my wife, came home from work today and she said shed made a post, I then went onto clarify matters but forgot to log her out first.

Julia is the one whom has to put up with the flack lol
Cheers
John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts