Perfect Match??

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
The April edition of the Practical Caravan magazine has added a new feature on the end of the test which suggests "perfect matches" for the featured vans.

I have a concern about this as the author has clearly not taken into account the noseweight capacity of some of the cars featured. These vehicles are being billed as "Perfect Matches" yet if one looks at noseweight capacity of several of the vehicles they are certainly less than optimal. All the caravans featured would have 7% values (the suggested optimum noseweight value) well in excess of 100kg and several of the cars clearly could not match that by some margin. You only need to read the article in the current edition of the Caravan Club magazine to see the pitfalls of not having sufficient noseweight capacity.

I accept that we all have to make compromises when selecting tow vehicles, but for such a magazine to say these vehicles are perfect when they so obviously don't meet perfection could be misleading to some. I also concede that the noseweight limit of the caravans is likely to be limited to 100kgs due to the hitch itself; the featured BMW, nevertheless, doesn't even get close to that figure as its noseweight capacity is limited to 75kg.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When talking about the pitfalls of not having enough noseweight, I think they mean values well below 75kg. 75kg should be ample for the average caravan, 100kg for large ones of about 1800kg and above. On the other hand, it's worth making full use of what's permitted for car and/or caravan (whichever is the lower). For that reason there is not much point in using the 7% formula.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
When talking about the pitfalls of not having enough noseweight, I think they mean values well below 75kg. 75kg should be ample for the average caravan, 100kg for large ones of about 1800kg and above. On the other hand, it's worth making full use of what's permitted for car and/or caravan (whichever is the lower). For that reason there is not much point in using the 7% formula.
You may like to look at the article in the Caravan Club Magazine that I reffered to.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
By the way it was entitled "Why did I crash"

TRENDING THREADS