Plan to visit Dorset

Jan 19, 2015
Dorset is such a lovely County and has so much to offer doesn't seem right not to have had a post

When we get our oufit we plan to visit Dorset.

I certainly want to re visit Corfe Castle B)

Apr 20, 2009
weyr said:
Dorset is such a lovely County and has so much to offer doesn't seem right not to have had a post

When we get our oufit we plan to visit Dorset.

I certainly want to re visit Corfe Castle B)
We have been to Dorset and stayed at Highlands End, right on the cliff top over looking West Bay (where some of the current TV programme Broadchurch was filmed). Quite an experience, Windy not the word for it, second night we lost the awning. OK we were wet behind the ears at the time and didnt have storm straps fitted but chasing empty beer cans around the tarmac road at 3.00 am in the morning was not fun. Then to cap it off we walked the coast path to West Bay with our then German shephard, it took us through an open field where we duly got chased by a herd of cows, man they were scary.

Never been back since!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 24, 2015
We have been to Dorset quite a few times over the past few years although this year will be the first time with the 'van.
There are so many lovely places to visit and we've been to lots of them ... Corfe Castle, Swannage, Lyme Regis, Lulworth to name but a few.

We're really looking forward to going again! :cheer:

Apr 9, 2006
Don't forget to visit the fantastic Tank Museum at Bovington! It's a brilliant day out for all the family and not at all boring. The displays and exhibitions are housed in a huge modern, bright building with friendly staff, a picnic area, cafe, toilets and shop. It's always on our list of places to visit whenever we go to Dorset.

Dec 30, 2013
We go every year and stay at Ulwell Cottage in Swanage. We love it. Also found Nordens Farm to be excellent, and just up the road from Corfe. The only pkaces we avoid are Monkey World and the Tank
Museum (tho Sir F likes to go the the latter). Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, glorious walks and beautiful beaches. Just lovely

Jan 24, 2015
Well, yet another glorious week in Dorset had by Mrs Keith and I. We stayed at East Fleet Farm .... fantastic site with really helpful staff and brilliant facilities.
The weather was great ..... according to the 'neighbours' it had been high winds and rain in the days before our arrival and it was windy on the first night, but that wasn't a problem. The weather for the rest of our stay was great .... good temperatures and lovely sunshine :woohoo:

We'll definitely book to stay at the site again when we return South and may even meet the really nice couple from Bristol that use it regularly!

Aug 23, 2009
Currently go down there every year, stay on a CS at Osmington to get ready for our move to Dorset summer 2017.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Dorset is a lovely county and for me, not too far to drive. Been there a few times and usually stay at Wood Farm at Charmouth, the last time being last August. I wrote up my visit in a blog at https://jondogoescaravanning.wordpress.com/a-visit-to-dorsetdevon-august-2015/

Aug 23, 2009
What a lovely account and a marvellous record of a life of caravanning. Well done and thank you for sharing such a wonderful time with us. I'm sure I'll be dipping in and out frequently over the next few weeks!

Jun 2, 2015
crazyguider said:
We go every year and stay at Ulwell Cottage in Swanage. We love it. Also found Nordens Farm to be excellent, and just up the road from Corfe.
We stopped at Ullwell last October. Lovely site with nice facilities and some nice walks up hills to tire my four and six year old daughters out on. The only down side for us was the complete lack of any supermarkets local to the place meaning that we were pretty much tied to the single Budgens in Swanage unless we wanted to drive around to Poole. and that budgens was stupidly expensive; presumably because it had a captive audience. Yes we will go back again I suspect. so much to do with the kids, even in Octember.

Dec 30, 2013
There's a big Co-op in Swanage, next to the train station! it's a little tucked away, but we use that, not Budgens as it's cheaper and has much better variety.
Glad you enjoyed Ulwell - we're booked in for 2 weeks again this August - can't wait!

Jan 5, 2016
We go for 10 days in the Spring, have done for a very long time, we either stay at Wareham Forest Tourist Park or the CC Site down the road at Hunters Moon, we love both sites and especially the area, lots to do and see

Jun 2, 2015
crazyguider said:
There's a big Co-op in Swanage, next to the train station! it's a little tucked away, but we use that, not Budgens as it's cheaper and has much better variety.
Glad you enjoyed Ulwell - we're booked in for 2 weeks again this August - can't wait!
We shall look for that when we next go down that way. Thanks for the tip.

Dec 30, 2013
Saint-spoon, if you go into Swanage town from the Studland side of town, drive past the train station (on right),at the mini r'bout bear right, across the lights (green) and about 75m on right is a small road - turn up there as if heading to the bus stops and the Co-op is on your left with a big pay and display carpark. It butts on to the platform of the station.

Jul 9, 2013
We love Dorset and go there a lot with the caravan - but it's near enough we can do lots of the county with a day trip, if we don't mind an early start. We've settled on South Lychett Manor for the last few seasons, quite expensive but its a lovely site and we like the local pub and craft centres!

At the other end of the scale, once a year our AmDram group has a weekend camp on a field near Wareham which is just that - a field! We book a water bowser from the local farmer and dig our own elsan disposal pit :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Gozza said:
We love Dorset and go there a lot with the caravan - but it's near enough we can do lots of the county with a day trip, if we don't mind an early start. We've settled on South Lychett Manor for the last few seasons, quite expensive but its a lovely site and we like the local pub and craft centres!

At the other end of the scale, once a year our AmDram group has a weekend camp on a field near Wareham which is just that - a field! We book a water bowser from the local farmer and dig our own elsan disposal pit :cheer:
The latter sounds more our sort of thing! :cheer:

Jul 9, 2013
The first time we took the caravan to Dorset we stayed on a CL at the back of a pub. I won't name it because apart from the one problem we had it's a lovely site. The problem was with the pub food, there was only one veggie item on the menu and that had nuts in - as Mrs Gozza is a nut-allergic vegetarian that meant we had to go elsewhere to eat! Since the whole point of staying on a pub site was so we could eat out and I wouldn't have to drive afterwards it was a bit of a damp squib.

Aug 23, 2009
That all sounds a bit of a whoopsie. We stay on a CS at Osmington because it's nice and close to where we are concentrating our house hunting at the moment. The cost is more than we would normally pay for a night anywhere but it's handy as well as being a nice site.

Jan 24, 2015
Well, after much discussion, several looks at several sites, Mrs Keith and I will be visiting East Fleet Farm again this year ...... along with some additional family members, but they can rough it in the tent! :p
Dates sorted, just need to confirm pitches and book! :cheer:

Aug 23, 2009
Keefanmaxx said:
Well, after much discussion, several looks at several sites, Mrs Keith and I will be visiting East Fleet Farm again this year ...... along with some additional family members, but they can rough it in the tent! :p
Dates sorted, just need to confirm pitches and book! :cheer:
Wooooooooooow, Looks nice enough but not for us, £52.50 a night is a bit too on the steep side. I also assume that my cripplemobile would be counted as a commercial vehicle so definite no go.

Always good to put the extras in a tent :)

We'll be up the road roughing it in a field. Not at all jello at all :(

Jan 24, 2015
So, following my last post we're booked and deposits paid for two pitches :cheer: East Fleet, here we come!!
It is a lovely site Martin24 and I have to admit, even I wouldn't pay £52 per night! Having said that, we're going out of the main season so it's a little cheaper.

We'll think of you in your field ......... :p

Feb 25, 2017
Budgens is very expensive and so is the co-op and Sansburys in Wareham Best bet is to stop en route at LIDLS (several in Poole / Bouremouth) Safe the excess for real Dorzet Ale!

Jan 24, 2015
I'm not sure they'd want my car and 'van in the car park at Aldi or Lidl ....... :eek:hmy:

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts