Pneumatic Jockey Wheel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Reich Mover and someone told me that a pneumatic tyre on my jockey wheel would improve handling. Has anyone else fitted a pneumatic tyre and did it make an improvement?

Thanks. Barry

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Hello Barry. I have just fitted a pneumatic jockey wheel to my new Bailey Senator (with Reich mover fitted).A definite improvement. The original fitment was a 5 spoke plastic wheel which was shedding pieces each time I moved the van.On the recommendation of fellow vanners (and my dealer), I fitted the complete assembly as I couldn't find a wheel to fit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barry, the pneumaitc wheels will be better because they have a greater contact area with the ground, so they wont sink quite as far, and they will absorb adn ride over small irreglarities such as stones that would cause the hard wheels to skid.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have a motor mover with a pneumatic tyre fitted. It is much better than the solid rubber one on my previous mover. One tip you might like to try is to lower the tyre pressure so that you have about 80mm of tyre circumference in contact with the ground (30psi in my case instead of the 45psi that was originally in the tyre, this gives added grip and we find moving our twin axle van a dream now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A good idea with a mover. The solid type jockey wheel has no radious at the edged and tends to dig in to loose gravel etc. when swivelling. The pnuematic is well radiused and does not do this. With a large and heavy van, there may be a bit of a problem with pressures- the plastic inner wheel is only good for about 30 psi, which gives a somewhat flattened tyre with high nose weight - say towards 95kg. On a long trip - e.g. overseas - it may be worth carrying the old wheel with you against the risk of puncture etc. to the pneumatic - no fun at all trying to lift 95Kg when pitching.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A good idea with a mover. The solid type jockey wheel has no radious at the edged and tends to dig in to loose gravel etc. when swivelling. The pnuematic is well radiused and does not do this. With a large and heavy van, there may be a bit of a problem with pressures- the plastic inner wheel is only good for about 30 psi, which gives a somewhat flattened tyre with high nose weight - say towards 95kg. On a long trip - e.g. overseas - it may be worth carrying the old wheel with you against the risk of puncture etc. to the pneumatic - no fun at all trying to lift 95Kg when pitching.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts