Pollen Filter

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just given my motor a good run, for the first time in almost eight weeks, along the Fosse. Started thinking just how much protection the pollen filter actually gives us and would give protection from C19. ??? What do you think.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pollen particles are several orders of magnitude larger than the size of c19, so the filtration size would not stop C19, however most filters have a fiberous matrix which means any air flow passing through the filter has to change direction several times, and these direction changes will cause some restriction which will reduce the transmission of C19 but it will not stop it.

The apparent risk of c19 entering most vehicles through the ventilation system is very small for a variety of reasons, mainly because it's unlikely any one who is carrying the virus would be very close to ventilation the air intakes .

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pollen particles are several orders of magnitude larger than the size of c19, so the filtration size would not stop C19, however most filters have a fiberous matrix which means any air flow passing through the filter has to change direction several times, and these direction changes will cause some restriction which will reduce the transmission of C19 but it will not stop it.

The apparent risk of c19 entering most vehicles through the ventilation system is very small for a variety of reasons, mainly because it's unlikely any one who is carrying the virus would be very close to ventilation the air intakes .
Cyclists and joggers only get 0.5-1.0 metres from me, (👎) and their “ plumes” spread out considerably to fill the width of your lane. We will need yet another detector to sense these other road users and switch off the fans and put vent to recirculating. Just as I do when following horses behind. Or should it be “ behind horses”?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A strip of zinc or copper tape along both sides of your house roof ridge will stop all those balls of moss building up as well. The tape of course is scarificial.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
What the prof says is right. Because a pollen filter offers a big surface area the very small globules of water that carry the virus should be stopped by the filter. The point of cyclists and joggers is valid but they are in your area fleetingly and so should not be a problem. There's probably a bigger danger from the door handles on the outside. Suggest you sanitise hands when first in car before touching anything, and after shutting the door on exit.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What the prof says is right. Because a pollen filter offers a big surface area the very small globules of water that carry the virus should be stopped by the filter. The point of cyclists and joggers is valid but they are in your area fleetingly and so should not be a problem. There's probably a bigger danger from the door handles on the outside. Suggest you sanitise hands when first in car before touching anything, and after shutting the door on exit.

My comment about cyclists and joggers was tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken seriously. And before anyone condemns my clearance distance of 0.5-1.0 metres that again wasn’t my norm for driving, it’s far too much 🙈. (TIC)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts