Polyplastic window problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just discovered a fault in one window of my Avante. Window is approx. 1000mm x 500mm. By using fingertips, the distance between inner and outer 'pane' is about 1 to 2 mm and very light pressure makes them touch..

I assume the normal separation in the centre should be something like that at the edges around 13 - 15mm by estimation.

Questions
: Is there anything which can be done apart from replacing the window ? (My instinct says 'no' but I would like any opinions.

Although the caravan is still useable, what is the likely progress of this sort of fault ?

The van is less than a year old so presumably the window will be replaced under warranty. Is fitting such a replacement window easy ( it looks as if it should be) and how long should it take once the replacement is available - I would like to push the dealer into fitting it while i wait if the time should be around an hour or less)

Comments and advice appreciated

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Get ti done under warranty, sounds like a fault at manufacture, unless there is evidence of some sort of impact damage. Swapping them is a doddle.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If there are any marks inside the window due to the two panels touching then it will be a warranty replacement, if there are no marks then you have a fight on your hands as there is no damage to see.
As the van is less than a year old a replacement should be available from the manufacturer of the van , or Miriad (depends if like Bailey up to a certain age the windows come from Bailey, then Miriad) and should only take a matter of minutes to remove the old and fit the new, about 30 minutes at most.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This problem of the outer and inner panes of polyplastic windows touching has become rather infamous and if you Google it I'm sure that you will find it. The characteristic shape of the mark it makes is described as "butterfly". Good luck with it.
mel

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I need a window for my caravan need a 1180x425 bavk kitxhen window please help someone this its costing more than I paid for the van so can someone come up with idear like purspex as moving to spain Christmas

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
... should only take a matter of minutes to remove the old and fit the new, about 30 minutes at most.
Plus the time waiting for them to start doing the job, plus paperwork time.

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
RayS said:
Just discovered a fault in one window of my Avante. Window is approx. 1000mm x 500mm. By using fingertips, the distance between inner and outer 'pane' is about 1 to 2 mm and very light pressure makes them touch..

I assume the normal separation in the centre should be something like that at the edges around 13 - 15mm by estimation.

Questions
: Is there anything which can be done apart from replacing the window ? (My instinct says 'no' but I would like any opinions.

Although the caravan is still useable, what is the likely progress of this sort of fault ?

The van is less than a year old so presumably the window will be replaced under warranty. Is fitting such a replacement window easy ( it looks as if it should be) and how long should it take once the replacement is available - I would like to push the dealer into fitting it while i wait if the time should be around an hour or less)

Comments and advice appreciated

Before I changed to Car/Caravan I had a Motorhome with Polyplastic windows and they developed a fault on about half of them. Polyplastic recalled all the motorhomes/caravans fitted with windows manufactured between 2004 & 2008 and either repaired them foc or replaced them with a nominal charge.
It may be worth checking the date stamp on your windows because if they were made earlier than your caravan and have this fault there is a serious problem of them separating and blowing out altogether in transit.
Polyplastic website has a list of the codenumbers for the faulty windows, it may be worth checking yours as it may be they all need replacing and not just the one you have found. As it is under warraenty through dealer perhaps you could get them to sort it but I would check the dates & website myself for personal satisfaction and also peace of mind for the future
Mike

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's true that the original post was submitted over three years ago, but if the person who posted the more recent query used Google to try to find information, this thread could well have been given.
No forum rules are breached when old topics are revisited, but rest assured that I was aware of it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks , thats how I bought my Tyronband tool. Googled and found some one on another website.
Time for bed.
Thanks Parksy. :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Strange that ! I Googled something today to do with my caravan , some kind of question , but it came up with a post from 2oo7 on this forum !! So I understand what parksy was on about before .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Strange that ! I Googled something today to do with my caravan , some kind of question , but it came up with a post from 2oo7 on this forum !! So I understand what parksy was on about before .

It's not too surprising.
There are relatively few caravan related websites that have been around as long as Practical Caravan, and even fewer with the broad spectrum of caravan related technical information and advice which is archived.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts