Poor quality components on budget range

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Brought caravan home last weekend (sprite quattro)and when I arrived I found that the door leading into the bathroom had come right off and was on the floor. The problem was that the screws used were so small that they only bit 6mm into the door frame. I appreciate that driving down costs is a big factor in producing budget ranges but using such sub-standard components is unacceptable. There, I feel strangely better!

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Michael,

Think yourself lucky, we bought a 2008 Coachman VIP in March, first trip out the door of the actual caravan fell off, had to go back to the dealers for a temporary fix whilst another door was ordered, going back again this weekend for door and frame to be replaced - along with a multitude of other bits. Its not just the budget vans that are shoddy I can assure you.

Hope that makes you feel even more better, or betterer whichever is correct!!

Val.

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello....

Hello....

Coachman Caravans....

Is anyone at Coachman Caravans listening ????

If so,please take note of the excellent response from Swift Group!

You have one disgruntled customer in Val,another in ourselves.

You've had our money and sold us defective goods.But you've wiped your hands and left us to the less-than-interested dealers.

Please take a note from Swift and start listening AND responding to forums such as this.

We're your bread and butter,Coachman and your reputation is in our hands!

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ihad the same problem swift charisma620 ( lewis) First trip out the wardrope door fell of & put a hole in the toilet door . Just waiting for new t/ door to be fitted . Has been on order since end of april . same as you silly wee screws holding doors on .

hopefully door will arive this week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave and Dee

It all down to the Sale of Goods Acts. Your contract is with your 'seller', and unless you purchased directly from the manufacture, you have no recourse or claim to the manufacture legally.

Identify your 'seller' - The person or organisation that took (or takes) your money is your seller.

That may be the dealer if you handed cash over the counter, or it could be a finance house if you are using HP or a loan secured against the caravan, in which case the finance company own the caravan until you make the last payment.

If your seller has supplied faulty goods then pursue the matter with them. They are legally obliged to supply good fit for purpose, even if they do not make them them selves.

Always seek professional advice regards making any claim or taking any action against your seller.

Legal stuff aside, It is a shame that other manufactures don't follow Swifts example of engaging directly with end users.

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Kath / Swift Group

Thanks for you response and offer of help. It was very pleasing to note the speed of response and the fact that you monitor this forum. From comments above, others wish their manufacturers acted the same way. The problem is resolved now that I have used longer screws. However, I'd be lying if I wasn't wondering what other components are 'barely good enough'. To be fair though this is the first problem we've had in the 2 years we've had the quattro, so I'm probably being over pessimistic. If you really want to make amends send me a motor mover as I can't reverse it properly!

Thanks again for response and keep up the customer service, I'm sure other van owners are taking note.

Jul 13, 2006
Visit site
Val

Not sure how I feel after your post! Quality control seems to be an issue for us all regardless of how much we spend. Makes me think I've actually got off quite lightly, as this isolated incident aside we are very happy with the quattro. Hope you get your faults corrected soon.

Mike

Dec 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi John L.

As usual,you are absolutely right. As we payed the dealer for the van our contract is with them.

Similarly,Michael's contract is with his dealer and not Swift.

But that doesn't stop Swift from taking an interest and trying to resolve his problems.

This is all we want; for our manufacturer to show concern,not just a healthy balance sheet.

When the dealer agrees to carry out warranty work,they have to claim against the manufacturer.Thus,Coachman,for example,are still involved financially after the sale.

We just want them to take an interest and be concerned if we are not happy with their product.

But I know full well what you are saying and,unfortunately,this means that we probably won't get Swift-style involvment from Coachman....Pity,we'll just but a Swift next time!

Dave

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
I bet the Explorer group do not reply to my problems with our 2 year old Elddis Avante.As with most of their vans fitted with back garage doors,it leaks and leaks bad, when it rains we have to go out to the van and mop up water under the bunks.

We have a number of other problems, trying to get the warranty work done is a laugh with Explorer group not giving a damn and the service centre saying they don't know when the work can be done.There seems to be no one to turn too to help with these problems,I can't believe after nearly six months no one can tell me when the work can be done.Its a joke

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I bet the Explorer group do not reply to my problems with our 2 year old Elddis Avante.As with most of their vans fitted with back garage doors,it leaks and leaks bad, when it rains we have to go out to the van and mop up water under the bunks.

We have a number of other problems, trying to get the warranty work done is a laugh with Explorer group not giving a damn and the service centre saying they don't know when the work can be done.There seems to be no one to turn too to help with these problems,I can't believe after nearly six months no one can tell me when the work can be done.Its a joke
Richard,

I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear about your problems. I've been in this game for nearly 30 years now - and I'd rather drink a quart of bleach than but a UK caravan.

I know what the workforce think about them - the word begins with 'S', ends with 'e', and contains the letters 'h', 'i', and 't', in-between.

I know what they think about groups who visit the factories - the word begins with 'W', ands with 'S', and contains the letter 'K' somewhere in the middle.

They couldn't care less about your caravan, whether it leaks, whether it starts to fall to bits 2 weeks after purchase - 'quality' is a joke, and they churn out the most badly built caravans in the whole of Europe.

That, sadly, is a fact.

Yet (amazingly) people continue to buy this rubbish - smart salesmen point out the 'super-new-rip-roaring-style-icon' features, and the punters fight to dive 'em their cash!

No wonder the lads who build the things laugh.

If someone buys their first British caravan and finds the usual damp after 3 years, that's a real shame. If someone then buys another one - then, that's their own fault and they deserve what they get.

Britain has no *real* caravan industry - stay well away from their products and you will not regret it.

When it comes to caravans, it really is a case of 'Deutschland Uber Alles'

Worth remembering next time.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

You see the Swiftgroup come up on this forum with the offer of Help to there customers time and time again.

I have not seen any other manufacture help in this way on this forum that includes Bailey Caravans which I am a owner.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Stephen, I think you will find that Bailey do respond to posts on forums - possible not this one, but they are very helpful in sorting problems - I speak from experience.

Graeme.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Stephen, I think you will find that Bailey do respond to posts on forums - possible not this one, but they are very helpful in sorting problems - I speak from experience.

Graeme.
Actually Kelly from Bailey does post on here - look in Buyers guide to Caravans section.

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stephen,

I can confirm that we do monitor the feedback from this an several of the other major caravanning forums.

If you do have any issues or queries regarding your caravan always feel free to contact me on the e-mail address below.

Best Regards

Kelly Watts

helpline@bailey-caravans.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to say that our Bailey Senator Oklahoma which we sadly had to change because of problems getting in/out of bed was very well screwed together and in 2 years ownersip and 250+ nights usage the only faults were a cracked light fitting and a chopping board that had to be replaced

It was serviced by N Staffs Caravans just before we decided to change and had no faults on the tick list at all

We now have the Ace Award Nightstar and that is if anything more robust than the Bailey and as it weighs more for the same length that seems likely

The only problems so far have been a faulty fridge that is being replaced under warranty and a problem with the 12V electrics switching off when the mains 230V was disconnected and that was dealt with by Ian Sargeant who quickly sent an adapter lead in reponse to a question asked on a forum such as this

I was also given much assistance prior to purchase by Kath to facilitate delivery of the Alko wheel clamp

Similar excellent service has been received fro Powrtouch who last month replaced the mover remote control in 2 days when we were in France!

Its not all bad service thankfully

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello....

Hello....

Coachman Caravans....

Is anyone at Coachman Caravans listening ????

If so,please take note of the excellent response from Swift Group!

You have one disgruntled customer in Val,another in ourselves.

You've had our money and sold us defective goods.But you've wiped your hands and left us to the less-than-interested dealers.

Please take a note from Swift and start listening AND responding to forums such as this.

We're your bread and butter,Coachman and your reputation is in our hands!

Dave
Hi Dave,

Wrote to Coachman today inviting them to come on forum and get live feedback from users of their product.

Spoke to the dealer as our van is in having remedial works done, apparently the microwave saga caused a bit of a stir and it appears its people power that get them to take interest, not the feedback they get from the dealers.

Here's hoping the take up the invitation - form an orderly queue now.....

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I wonder how widely quality issues are reported? On my new Bailey there is nothing too serious so far, just niggles. You will note the pessimism in "so far".

You would think a major manufacturer should be able to apply sealant to a caravan without resting the sealant gun on the roof thereby applying numerious blobs of sealant all over.

If I can stick trim to a drawer, why can't they?

If I can adjust a cupboard catch so it doesn't foul the frame, why can't they? Likewise the shower door.

My dealer is 60 miles away so it is more cost effective to sort these little problems myself. Trouble is, if everyone does this the dealer and manufacturer will think they are supplying a quality product

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts