Pop up campsites

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Got my monthly newsletter from one of the clubs advertising pop up campsites. These are very basic sites although you do get EHU however at £37 per night for two adults definitely give them a miss.
We are staying on a campsite not to far from one of the campsites and have a fully serviced pitch with hedges on either side, proper amenities, shop on site etc and the cost is almost the same.
According to the blurb these pop up sites are extremely popular and you need to book as soon as possible to avoid the rush?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
I know the one you're referring to. Total ripoff price.
They don't think people can manage without EHU, even at 6 amp supplied via a noisy smelly diesel generator running 24/7! Suffered from being pitched close to them at a couple of their Nationals, never again!!
The other club run loads of THS at a much more realistic price.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They don't think people can manage without EHU, even at 6 amp supplied via a noisy smelly diesel generator running 24/7! Suffered from being pitched close to them at a couple of their Nationals, never again!!

EHU is supplied, but as stated price is a rip off, but they get away with it!

Reactions: Challenger
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Having used a festival campsite with temporary EHU a couple of times, it's not mandatory to have noisy smelly generators with power restrictions - the generator used was quiet, odour-free and capable of full 16A to each pitch - but that comes at a cost.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Having used a festival campsite with temporary EHU a couple of times, it's not mandatory to have noisy smelly generators with power restrictions - the generator used was quiet, odour-free and capable of full 16A to each pitch - but that comes at a cost.
Those generators are the size of a large container and can power a small village. There was one installed in our village recently to give us power between 9am and 4pm.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure which it is but i will be not stopping at that price
We going to CL near Boston hard standing fully service pitch with 16a electric hook up and that only £22 per night not been to this site but the reviews look excellent

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure which it is but i will be not stopping at that price
We going to CL near Boston hard standing fully service pitch with 16a electric hook up and that only £22 per night not been to this site but the reviews look excellent
For Easter?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's a significant price difference between electric hook up pitches and non ehu pitches at a music festival that we attend every year.
A standard pitch with ehu supplied via generators is currentl £110 more than a non ehu pitch over 4 nights.
The so called 'super pitches' which have their own private lockable portable toilet cubicle are £220 more but with an extra night.
I stay off grid with my solar panel and judicious use of my Honda suitcase generator to keep my mobility scooter charged.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It must be remembered that if there are more than two people, there are extra charges. No mention of any charges for dogs? A family pitch is £74 a night which holds two outfits!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's a significant price difference between electric hook up pitches and non ehu pitches at a music festival that we attend every year.
A standard pitch with ehu supplied via generators is currentl £110 more than a non ehu pitch over 4 nights.
The so called 'super pitches' which have their own private lockable portable toilet cubicle are £220 more but with an extra night.
I stay off grid with my solar panel and judicious use of my Honda suitcase generator to keep my mobility scooter charged.

Allowing for inflation , that's about what we were paying for a temporary EHU pitch - the cost is based on the hire charge for all the equipment, setting it up, taking it down and checking it during the event - as long as there's an off-grid option it can't be considered a rip-off.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think pop up site are normally there to support a specific event. Using them is therefore for convenience and makes it posssible to stagger home.

For that we pay a premium. nevertheless, that seems excessive.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think pop up site are normally there to support a specific event. Using them is therefore for convenience and makes it posssible to stagger home.

For that we pay a premium. nevertheless, that seems excessive.

John
I don't think the pop up sites on offer are for any specific event or events. Just plain ordinary pitches with no events.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just read my CAMC news letter.
I understand what these are now. Not what has been discussed.

The two pop ups are situate on private land at very desirable locations/ places.

Reduced or free entry to some of the attractions.

A once in a life time chance some may say .

Plus without doubt another income stream for the location owners.

I like the idea as a one off. Ignore the daily rate and appreciate the experience👏👏

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just read my CAMC news letter.
I understand what these are now. Not what has been discussed.

The two pop ups are situate on private land at very desirable locations/ places.

Reduced or free entry to some of the attractions.

A once in a life time chance some may say .

Plus without doubt another income stream for the location owners.

I like the idea as a one off. Ignore the daily rate and appreciate the experience👏👏
I read about them last year and like you thought the CMHC had laid on something different that could be enjoyed. Don’t they have site toilets and showers? At the price quoted they are cheaper than the camp sites at The Game Fair, Badminton and you still have to pay extra for parking and admittance.

They are different to CCC THS which are good but are basically a field with a water supply and somewhere to empty the loo. But in that context they are great as you rarely need to book, and with them dotted around the country are good for short breaks, longer ones if you can off grid, or stop overs on a journey.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I read about them last year and like you thought the CMHC had laid on something different that could be enjoyed. Don’t they have site toilets and showers? At the price quoted they are cheaper than the camp sites at The Game Fair, Badminton and you still have to pay extra for parking and admittance.

They are different to CCC THS which are good but are basically a field with a water supply and somewhere to empty the loo. But in that context they are great as you rarely need to book, and with them dotted around the country are good for short breaks, longer ones if you can off grid, or stop overs on a journey.
I don’t want to give too much away Clive, but amongst other things , yes they include:-
  • Two adults
  • Standard pitch with electric hook up
  • Toilets and showers onsite plus fresh water and waste disposal
They really must be viewed and chosen way outside of a normal CAMC site or CL

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don’t want to give too much away Clive, but amongst other things , yes they include:-
  • Two adults
  • Standard pitch with electric hook up
  • Toilets and showers onsite plus fresh water and waste disposal
They really must be viewed and chosen way outside of a normal CAMC site or CL
When I was referring to prices at the Game Fair and Badminton I was only looking at camping pitches no electric and even they were quite a lot more expensive that the pop ups.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just had a look in my CAMC magazine at these popup campsites and what you get and the discounted entry we might have been interested my wife likes any Museum and attractions

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If they fill them then I accept they provide a needed service to those that want them, and obviously accept what they have to pay, in that great it is happening.
If we don't want that service then what it cost others that do, really bothers me not.

In part I suspect is the club's awareness they simply can't satisfy the requirements of a lot of the membership, there simply are way too limited pitches for summer weekends and holiday periods.
These pop ups add some capacity, and if to be believed are very popular,

I do see a danger of the club, with the help of external factors such as Covid & Brexit having gained so high a membership, that even those with 40 years membership, begin to resent not being able to use that membership. Bad enough for us, and we find alternatives, but must be a sour realisation to those new who bought onto the freedom etc image that this and others sold. These pop ups easing that.

Fortunately, we don't see the vital need to be tethered by an orange cord, to enjoy our camping.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The basic cost of these is a problem that puts the price up. The clubs have to find and get permission for these short term sites, which gives them an upfront cost not encountered to the same extent by permanent sites. Once you have this you have to bring in the temporary power supply and get it removed later and find the people to run it, and again this costs more and has to be recovered over a fairly short time scale.
What you have is a site that costs far more to run per pitch than the normal sites, but can work in areas of high demand in the high season. It will still be cheaper to visit than many commercial sites at that time, but with less facilities but meets a short term demand, it is not a rip of but simply a reflection of the costs of providing that service. If you are not prepared to pay for the site then you do not have to go. It is on offer but it is up to you where you go.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If they fill them then I accept they provide a needed service to those that want them, and obviously accept what they have to pay, in that great it is happening.
If we don't want that service then what it cost others that do, really bothers me not.

In part I suspect is the club's awareness they simply can't satisfy the requirements of a lot of the membership, there simply are way too limited pitches for summer weekends and holiday periods.
These pop ups add some capacity, and if to be believed are very popular,

I do see a danger of the club, with the help of external factors such as Covid & Brexit having gained so high a membership, that even those with 40 years membership, begin to resent not being able to use that membership. Bad enough for us, and we find alternatives, but must be a sour realisation to those new who bought onto the freedom etc image that this and others sold. These pop ups easing that.

Fortunately, we don't see the vital need to be tethered by an orange cord, to enjoy our camping.

That is very true especially when it comes to booking a long stay on a CAMC site. Invariably either the Friday or Saturday are fully booked. This means that if booking for a week Sunday to Sunday you need to book until the either the Friday or Saturday. If it is the Friday that is booked then book the Saturday and hope that eventually the Friday will become free. Simply easier to book a commercial site nearby and pay a small deposit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts