Porch awnings

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I am wondering about porch awnings, whether they are worth having, would value any thoughts and experiences that people might have. We may have the opportunity to keep it up all season on a site, do people think that this is a good idea, we are not local to the van site. Many thanks.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
There are different types of porch awning's, you can get the light weight ones which in my view would not be suitable for all season.
Think at least one manufacturer is making a more robust one suitable for all season use, may be visit the Dorema and Isabella websites and see what they have, Oh they will be more expensive as well!!

Just found this after a quick search so do some more homework and there will be more I'm sure.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
A decent all year porch as those produced by Isabella should be absolutely fine left up. There is always a risk of damage in snow and high winds whatever the awning. We personally use our Isabella Magnum all year but it isn't left up all year. Best awning we have ever had.

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
Hi, I am wondering about porch awnings, whether they are worth having, would value any thoughts and experiences that people might have. We may have the opportunity to keep it up all season on a site, do people think that this is a good idea, we are not local to the van site. Many thanks.

The season would be from April to October so would not be up in the Winter.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi HFE. We too keep our van on a seasonal pitch since 2002. Our site is in a valley in Snowdonia so the wind and weather in general can be horrific. I have tried most awnings over the years but find a traditional porch awning the best for full seasonal use. Currently we use a 2106 Dorema Oslo with a steel frame. This has been a fantastic awning standing up to snow, gale force winds and one weekend 17 awnings got destroyed but ours too still. My advice would be to buy one with facilities to add additional guy ropes and use rachette straps as storm ties. Also make sure you double peg every thing!!! It may take some time initially but the awning will stay up. Oh yes make sure you get a steel frame.

Regards Tony

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Use the search engine put in Kampa and you will find some excellent posts both for and against an inflatable.
I have one but after 12 months all year round use have to say the Isabella Magnum with carbon fibre x poles is by far the best . Not cheap but you get what you pay for.
I'll probably sell my Kampa in the spring with all accessories which new cost £1000.
That's the catch you see. All the extras you will need.
Personally I wouldn't leave the Kampa up unattended all season.
Very much your choice :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. We have had a better experience of an inflatable awning than Sir DD, but would completely agree that inflatables are not the awnings for Seasonal pitches.
To my mind the main issue of leaving an awning unattended is not the worry of ripped canvas, it is the the danger of the poles collapsing onto the van and the damage to the van thereof. The poles collapse because they are lifted up by the canvas in strong winds; so you want it all held down as much as possible. Hence the advice above for internal and external tie down and double pegging.
Let us know what you do
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the problems with a porch awning in a windy area is that the pads on the inside vertical corners which touch the side walls of the caravan can move to and fro slightly and if the area has been dusty this dust can damage the exterior paint of the caravan.
You can protect it to some extent by leaving a good coating of polish say about 8" wide vertically down the side of the van against which these pads will rub, but this itself may adhere.
On an earlier van with 'corrugated' areas this fretting managed to remove the paint in all the high spots of this corrugation leaving what appeared to be a dark line. Very annoying and difficult to rectify.
I would be interested to know whether others have had this problem and if so how they coped with it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our awning has rubber suckers on the end of the p[oles which stick pretty firmly to the sides and have not moved in strong winds. Not sure if they are still available on any makes now as the awning is 30 years old. I know they don't make them like that now.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:

Yes they are worth having. At the very least, they provide somewhere to hang outdoor jackets and waterproofs. Similarly its somewhere out of the rain to remove and store outdoor footwear, which helps keep the van and its carpets clean. If you have a dog, again a place to dry him and keep all the doggy supplies. And of course the collapsible bin. Warmer days you might want to sit out too, depending on what size you go for.

There are loads of second hand porch awnings for sale, including ex-display if you fancy almost new. Choose carefully and you can save a bundle.

What is more tricky is selecting the size - there is much to be said for small as these take less time to set up and dismantle for short stays. But then larger ones can be used for main holidays, with say, an annexe attached for that bit extra room... choices, choices!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
Our awning has rubber suckers on the end of the p[oles which stick pretty firmly to the sides and have not moved in strong winds. Not sure if they are still available on any makes now as the awning is 30 years old. I know they don't make them like that now.
Ray
The pads Ray S refers to are the vertical ones with padding and vertical poles which keeps the awning edge flush against the caravan wall.
I will admit that both the Kampa and Izzy have left their scuff marks but they do almost polish out. Be careful the paint is very thin.
You can buy awning rail locks to stop the awing bead moving but most of the time I haven't needed them. They will stop the pads moving where they are fixed to the awning itself.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
Lovo said:
Stay away for inflatables too!!!
what are the main issues with these?

I haver two porch awnings, the big one and the small one (don't ask), both are airframes and I have had no problems with either. They are lighter, easier to erect (far quicker). But some folk don't like them and others have had problems with them, especially with earlier models.

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
saint-spoon said:
Holidaysforever said:
Lovo said:

I haver two porch awnings, the big one and the small one (don't ask), both are airframes and I have had no problems with either. They are lighter, easier to erect (far quicker). But some folk don't like them and others have had problems with them, especially with earlier models.

so airframes or not then, what advantages or disadvantages have members had with the airframes ?
Thanks

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On Christmas afternoon as your turkey slowly digests check out the search engine on here. You will get plenty of info.
In your case where you are looking at a seasonal then go for carbon fibre X poles and an Isabella. Expensive but in the long term a good purchase.
After my own experiences I would not leave an inflatable unattended for weeks on end.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately the rail locks have not solved the problem. Even with steel poles there is sufficient movement in around the mid distance of ground to awning rail to allow the fabric and pad to move a quarter to half an inch in strong winds. It's a year old Dorema and I took their advice and had steel poles rather than the fibre ones of the previous Dorema which allowed even more movement.
The awing is up for 3+ months in SE Spain and the site can be quite dusty with occasional strong and gusty winds - enough to take sat. dishes down.
I'm working on a cure which may even have commercial possibilities so I won't say any more about it at the moment.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
saint-spoon said:
Holidaysforever said:
Lovo said:

so airframes or not then, what advantages or disadvantages have members had with the airframes ?
Thanks

The longest that I have had either air frame up for is ten days and it didn't need re-inflating, however a friend who has an air framed tent tops it up every couple of days.
Air frames are without a doubt lighter, easier to erect and a lot quicker to pitch but they are made form lighter material so probably not suitable for seasonal.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
The air frame awnings seem to be quite expensive which probably puts it out of reach for many people, has anyone got any second-hand ones for sale maybe? Thanks
I may be able to help. Ask one of the mods to send me your email and I'll write to you
Where are you?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi HF. Hope Sir DD can help. If not, why not consider a full awning on your seasonal pitch, rather than a porch?
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Holidaysforever said:
The air frame awnings seem to be quite expensive which probably puts it out of reach for many people, has anyone got any second-hand ones for sale maybe? Thanks
I may be able to help. Ask one of the mods to send me your email and I'll write to you
Where are you?

Consider it done :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts