Powrtouch Mover

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We have just placed an order for a Powrtouch Mover to be fitted to our 2003 Ace Award Transtar.

We have read on a forum that it is better to have the unit fitted behind the wheels, this may have some benefits but it would be in the "spray zone" on a wet day...that itself makes us doubt the idea.

Any thoughts, also anything else that we need to consider when the installer is with us.

thanks

Sandra

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have ours fitted in front of the wheels, and have had no problems whatsoever.

Like everything, people have their own preferences, but just be guided by the fitter, after all, they have been fitting them for a while and have the expertise to advise on best fitment.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wether the fitter puts a mover in front or behind the wheels depends on any obstructions under the 'van. Just a thought on the matter -the mover itself may well obstruct the fitting of your wheel clamp. I had to purchase a new one. Also a larger jockey wheel with pneumatic tyre. The existing standard wheel dug into soft grass and visibly strained the mounting on the drawbar.

Mike E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mrs Hitchlock

I've fitted one of these to my 'van and one to my In-Laws'. Both in front of the wheel. I can't see why you'd want to fit it behind. If you have both options available,as like you say it's going to get sprayed with water and mud. If you have a spare wheel carrier fitted then you probably won't be able to put it behind anyway. Also as most times (from personal use) it gets used in reverse mode, into a driveway or onto a pitch, then if there's any obstructions, e.g. long grass, kerbs etc, then you don't really want the mover to be making the first contact with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, the only things I'd say regards to when installer is with you, is to ensure you have a good condition battery that has been fully charged off the van first(ie not with van's own charger as these dont fully charge battery).

Ask where he will fit both the control unit and remote cable socket. You may have a reason why you dont want them in those locations!

Also be sure that any holes drilled by installer are properly sealed, especially if exposed to the elements!

Be 100% sure that you fully understand its operation, do's and don'ts etc before he leaves.

Ensure remote works correctly both with and without remote lead. Should remote lead be wired wrong you could do a left rather than a right turn!!

If you're still not happy with anything ask him to write down your concerns on the paperwork you're given, it'll help when sorting the issue later.

Having said all the above I'm sure you will encounter no problems at all, this is a very good product by all accounts written on this forum - I shall be getting one myself soon.

Happy caravanning - Andy Palmer

We have a Powr touch unit fitted behind the rearmost wheels on our twin axle and have had no problems.

I was told tha they work best at the back of twins because the jockey wheeel can be used to raise the front of the van to take some of the weight off the un-driven wheels, this does make it easier to move about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts