PPF issues.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm reading of problems on the Tucson forum of petrol particulate problems blocking up, with the customer having to pay for them to be cleaned. Some of the cars are on a 21 plate with very few miles.

Reminds me of when early DPF problems were being reported.

https://www.tucsonforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=213
Well roll on BEV no DSG issues, no catslyser. no DPF, no GPF cam belt, or any of the other gubbins comprising the ICE. Waiting some minutes for a decent charge seems a small price to pay. šŸ˜‚

Reactions: Tobes and JezzerB
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I'm sure an EV will still have issues, just different ones.

I would buy an EV tomorrow but the ones that can tow my caravan cost a lot of money.
And then we have battery degradation...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure an EV will still have issues, just different ones.

I would buy an EV tomorrow but the ones that can tow my caravan cost a lot of money.
What do you mean by battery degradation. Warranties if 10 years are being given. Toyota give 15 years. There will no doubt be a battery recycling industry when sufficient ā€œ oldā€ batteries return to the supply chain, but it needs to be economically viable, and refurbished or non OEM batteries will be supplied. Thereā€™s already one non OEM supplier in the US and their battery gives more range than Teslas own.

Reactions: Tobes and JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"battery degradation"

Yes batteries do degrade, but so do ICE engines. There is an expanding body of evidence that shows how EV batteries are lasting significantly longer and retaining more of their original capacity than even the EV manufacturers were predicting. On average the battery degradation (i.e. loss of charge capacity) is not impacting the usefulness or longevity of EV's. Even if an EV losses its long range capability over 10year, it can still be a very real prospect for a second hand second car for local runs.

As a result we do not see masses of expired EV batteries, which is one reason why the replacement market has not developed extensively. And even when EV batteries are not viable for motive power, they can still have an extended useful life in other duties such as local grid power storage.

There are of course a few specific examples where this is not the case, but there are fully understood reasons for these examples, and revised versions do not suffer the same poor degradation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We also do not see all the mines and child labour used for manufacture of large quantities of batteries. BTW where are most of the EV batteries manufactured?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We also do not see all the mines and child labour used for manufacture of large quantities of batteries. BTW where are most of the EV batteries manufactured?
Although the Canadians donā€™t use child Labour have you ever seen the tar sands mines in Alberta, or the oil fields in Texas? Most batteries are currently made in China, although new mega factories are being built around the world as economically having the battery supplier near to the car factory is best. For Britain it is essential otherwise our electric cars will not have sufficient local content and would bear tariffs when going to the EU.

Reactions: Tobes and Buckman
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Well it's good to hear that the batteries are lasting.

Meanwhile those that have Ice petrol engines, how is your PPF performing?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by battery degradation. Warranties if 10 years are being given. Toyota give 15 years. There will no doubt be a battery recycling industry when sufficient ā€œ oldā€ batteries return to the supply chain, but it needs to be economically viable, and refurbished or non OEM batteries will be supplied. Thereā€™s already one non OEM supplier in the US and their battery gives more range than Teslas own.
I would read the guarantee before committing to the vehicle though, to see if there are any get outs. Look at caravans ones and you will wonder if it covers anything sometimes.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Well it's good to hear that the batteries are lasting.

Meanwhile those that have Ice petrol engines, how is your PPF performing?
Quite a different car, I have a Peugeot 308 petrol 1.2 PPF, four yo and 50,000. I have towed about 10k with it. I have never had a warning light. I have read suggestions to still give the PPF a higher rev run, so every few months on the freeway I go down 3 gears, 3-4,000rpm for about 20 mins.
Our forum is full of reports of DPF problems, hard to avoid, especially with short running. But can't recall any problems with PPF. Many comments that these don't give the problems that diesels do. Also writers asking for car recommendations are often told if they do short trips to get a petrol and avoid DPF.
I think if PPF's were going to give problems similar to DPF's they would have shown up by now in Peugeots which have had them for 4 years. I have read the Tucson forum you attached, sounds like that engine has a specific issue.

Reactions: xtrailman

TRENDING THREADS