Preventing punctures

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone used the Puncturesafe product which prevents punctures occuring The product lasts for the life of the tyre and has been awarded the sole contract for this type of product by Royal Mail for there 32000 vehicles.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly, no product will prevent a puncture. If a tyre is going to be pierced by an object, it will be.

Puncturesafe simply seals any such piercing,as long as it is not too big.

Nowever, if your tyre suffers a sidewall blow out, nothing at all will prevent the tyre deflating,,,very quickly.

To "guarantee" the product for the life of the tyre is a marketing ploy as if you get an object through the tyre in any place other than the main tread area, it cannot be repaired any more, and it means a new tyre.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alan.

I agree with Damian here. The product only seals small nails and screws which on the whole cause no more than a slow release of air. To say it lasts the life of a tyre is just a gimic, because if you subsequently change the tyre the next day that you find a nail in it, the tyre has expired it's working life. It is also correct to say that a sidewall puncture will not be salvaged by this product as the costant flexing of the tyre will open the wound repeatedly.

I use a tyre puncture preventative in the tyres on my mini wheeled goods trailer as it is used on building sites and as a consequence, the tyres do collect disgarded nails with ease. My product was bought from a pound shop.

However if you are towing your caravan, you should do a pre drive check which not only means testing lights, but also a general check of tyre pressure and conditions and other items such as hitch head prior to towing.

I carry a small tyre pressure guage in my car and I check my car tyre pressures weekly at present as I'm averaging 300 miles per week. If I find a drop of more than 5Psi, I look to see if there is a nail present.

Lucky or otherwise, in my 27 years of caravanning I've only had two punctures (1 blow out) and a collapsed wheel bearing. All of which I was able to replace with spares at the next pull in. Because I carry a spare bearing set and spare wheel for the caravan any way.

One other point to bear in mind isthat, tyre fitters cuss these sticky plasters as they call them. Because they have to clean the wheels vigorously prior to refitting the new tyre. Also if they are not told the goo exists they get a face full when they take the valve out to deflate the tyre. Just imagine someone throwing an egg in your face, you wouldn't like it would you?

Atb Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts