Privacy Room versus Awning

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Changing from a motorhome to a caravan I had a Fiamma F45s wind out awning/canopy fitted to my new Bailey Phoenix 440 caravan. I am widowed and camp alone and thought that this would easier to roll out when required rather than erect an awning.
But now, camping in the winter months, a place where wet wellies can live and protection for the bike appeals to me. So here's the decision. Should I go for a standard awning which will fit on the Fiamma awning rail or go for the Fiamma Privacy Room. Awnings normally seem to require two people to erect and the Privacy Room has the advantage that in the summer I could put up as many or as few of the sides and front that I need at that particular time. What I'm not sure about is whether a Privacy Room would withstand the same winds and rain that a normal awning would, even with storm straps, I'm not talking about hurricanes here - just the normal winds and storms that we encounter every week on the camp site, and which the average awning copes with reasonably well.
Looking for thoughts and advice please

Reactions: james234298
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We have an Isabella Minor and I can put that up myself, my bike fits in there and it’s great for boots, coats etc and can withstand the weather. Packs down well too.
I do like the idea of the wind out awnings tho but I haven’t any experience of them.

Kev

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Changing from a motorhome to a caravan I had a Fiamma F45s wind out awning/canopy fitted to my new Bailey Phoenix 440 caravan. I am widowed and camp alone and thought that this would easier to roll out when required rather than erect an awning.
But now, camping in the winter months, a place where wet wellies can live and protection for the bike appeals to me. So here's the decision. Should I go for a standard awning which will fit on the Fiamma awning rail or go for the Fiamma Privacy Room. Awnings normally seem to require two people to erect and the Privacy Room has the advantage that in the summer I could put up as many or as few of the sides and front that I need at that particular time. What I'm not sure about is whether a Privacy Room would withstand the same winds and rain that a normal awning would, even with storm straps, I'm not talking about hurricanes here - just the normal winds and storms that we encounter every week on the camp site, and which the average awning copes with reasonably well.
Looking for thoughts and advice please
I think the benefit of the wind out ones are that it’s quite quick easy to wind them in should the weather forecast turn sour.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is drying it out after a rainstorm when you need to go home that should influence your decision plus high winds.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It is drying it out after a rainstorm when you need to go home that should influence your decision plus high winds.
You can dry out a roll out one when you get home on the drive. Probably easier than a traditional awning. But a recent post did remark on the stability of their wind out one in high winds. But I doubt it would be as good as a traditional awning. But saying that last week three awning were downed on our site in Norfolk. They were lightweight with poles that curved away from the van and they all had plenty of guys. But the ground was sodden so I suspect their pegs lots grip. Our Dorema porch was fine.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Cannot comment on the wind up ones, but we have a Bradcot porch awning which I can put up myself and it has withstood a few storms without problem.

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
You can dry out a roll out one when you get home on the drive. Probably easier than a traditional awning. But a recent post did remark on the stability of their wind out one in high winds. But I doubt it would be as good as a traditional awning. But saying that last week three awning were downed on our site in Norfolk. They were lightweight with poles that curved away from the van and they all had plenty of guys. But the ground was sodden so I suspect their pegs lots grip. Our Dorema porch was fine.
Hi Buckman. Do you have a reference for this recent post please. Advice from someone actually owning a Privacy Room would be a great help. You don't see many on site to ask their owners direct
Thanks
Dave

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Search Thule Omnistor And Removabke sun canopy I think that’s were the information is. There is a good search facility on the forum so something like Fiamma might come up good.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
and if it is raining when you get home?

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
i hang my porch awning into the garage if it raining

Thanks what we do.
My father had a wind out awning on a VW camper and wound it in whilst wet, got home and forgot about it, it went black and spotty which didn't clean out very well, same will happen with the normal awning of not dry when packed.
It drives my missus mad when getting towards the end of a break and I'm trying to judge when to drop the awning. 1st World problems eh.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks what we do.
My father had a wind out awning on a VW camper and wound it in whilst wet, got home and forgot about it, it went black and spotty which didn't clean out very well, same will happen with the normal awning of not dry when packed.
It drives my missus mad when getting towards the end of a break and I'm trying to judge when to drop the awning. 1st World problems eh.
Ours is currently draped around one of the bedrooms. Our garage needs sorting out a bit after the roofing work that has only recently finished.

Reactions: Kevin M
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Simple you just wait until it stops. Not really a problem.
Not really if you have a couple fo damp days. At least with a stand alone awning you can open it in the garage etc. Long time ago when newbies and did not have a gargae or a large available room we had the full awning draped across the lounge. Was awkward for a few days but we managed. :D
We did consider one of these wind out awnings, but it eats into your already meagre payload so if you have a motor mover fitted does not leave much payload.:(

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
We have a fiamma caravanstore which serves us well in Europe.
Although we have the front and two sides to create a privacy room we have never used all three together. We may use one end if privacy or a prevailing wind comes from that side. We may add the front if we require more privacy or protection.
It works for us but mainly in warmer climes in Europe.
We were caught out some weeks ago when the storms hit before we had returned to the van and we survived even though gusts were well over 50 mph.

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
We have a fiamma caravanstore which serves us well in Europe.
Although we have the front and two sides to create a privacy room we have never used all three together. We may use one end if privacy or a prevailing wind comes from that side. We may add the front if we require more privacy or protection.
It works for us but mainly in warmer climes in Europe.
We were caught out some weeks ago when the storms hit before we had returned to the van and we survived even though gusts were well over 50 mph.
I'm encouraged because that's how I intend to use mine. Presumably you had the Fiamma Storm Straps on during the storms. I'm assuming that the F45S awning / privacy room would be more stable because of the cantilevered support arms and the easy-clip side rafters.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the point about bringing the wind out cover back home wet. It might be a problem if you keep it anywhere that has no room to wind it out.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm encouraged because that's how I intend to use mine. Presumably you had the Fiamma Storm Straps on during the storms. I'm assuming that the F45S awning / privacy room would be more stable because of the cantilevered support arms and the easy-clip side rafters.

I can't comment on the F45S I'm afraid. I only have experience with the "canopy in a bag" variety.

We had a Caravanstore Zip with our last van and with sides zipped in the stability was enhanced. I would suggest that with adequate storm straps this awning would withstand quite a blow.
If you are looking for freedom from droughts etc then I think a "zip" version worth getting but - they are far more expensive and a little longer to put out. As with my current non zip version you take your pick regarding which sides to put in place.
Worth noting that we had the version that came with a central support pole that incorporated a roof strut too. This added stability and comes as standard on the larger sizes. If you add a door pole then this could be used as an extra support when just the canopy out and no supplied support pole. . As well as the position towards one end that would be used for a door it's a simple task to drill another locating hole centrally in the aluminium tube to use it there.

The one we have now is the version without zips. It's wider now with a projection of 250 cm and the sides hang from their own horizontal (well, not quite horizontal) poles. The sides simply attach to the corner upright poles using bungees and are nowhere near as strong, windproof or secure as the zip variety,

However - for us they are adequate. We are using them in Europe 90% of the time and more often than not only use the canopy. Speed and simplicity being the aim. (Incidentally we do have gauze sun shades that can we added in place of a side or the front panel. This is great for those red hot days when air is needed and shade from a low sun).

All varieties are plastic and the canopy can be retracted when wet with no problem. In fact water will find its way into the bag anyway and on first use we usually have some that's been in contact with the canopy for maybe months. No issues at all. So far as drying in concerned should you insist, and addressing Ray's point above, we do not need to extend the canopy - it can simply hang almost vertical down the side of the van. When dry roll it back up.

If, like us you want speed (literally a few minutes when using the canopy alone) then we've never regretted using a Caravanstore. We were quite surprised with how the canopy alone coped with the truly strong winds mentioned earlier. It was the end of September and we were on the coast near Lowestoft so caught the worst of the storm. I was up three times during the night to check pegs etc. The flapping of the canopy was scary and I had visions of the whole lot suddenly flying up and into or over the van.

Basically the Caravanstore in not a standard caravan awning and is not designed to use in storms. We were caught out and lived to tell the tale. Certainly a windy day as opposed to a storm, will not be feared now we know just how strong the contraption is.

Back to my first comment that I have no experience of a canopy that winds out from a fixed housing. It may be you are only interested in how such a canopy will perform so my ramblings are of little use. If so then maybe other forum members will be interested to hear my take on this style of awning.

Good luck.

Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Guys, thanks for all your thoughts and advice.

Initially my concern was how stable a Privacy Room would be in windy weather, but reading your posts I realised that the major concern is really how to dry the wind-out roof. (Do seem to see quite a lot of rain in the UK) The side panels could dry in the garage but it would be impossible to wind out the awning to dry at my storage site if I have to pack up in the rain. Many of you mentioned this problem, which I hadn't thought through.

In the end I agreed with those of you who suggested that a separate awning would be best, using a conversion kador strip to match the 4mm bead slot on the Fiamma if needed. Really only needed a small awning for the bike and wellies so have chosen a small Kampa awning.

Thanks again for all your help
Dave

Reactions: Kevin M
Nov 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi Beachball. I had it installed by my dealer (White Arches in Northampton), along with the ATC, when I bought the caravan. The workshop manager had a look and agreed that it could be done - apparently not all caravans are suitable. They were able to install a 4 metre long Fiamma awning, which gives me the choice of just having the awning and a windbreak or putting up the Kampa Porch Awning I've just bought. The Fiamma has a built in awning channel which the Kampa will slot into.

Other options are still open for the future such as buying their Privacy Room or buying a larger awning up to the 4 metres (the porch awning I've bought is only 2.6 metres)

I've managed to squeeze in about 40 nights since July and have been very satisfied with the Fiamma awning on its own. The only reason that I bought the Porch was for wet wellies in the winter.

I believe that the F45s can be installed DIY but I preferred the dealer installation for the warranty.

Hope this helps
Dave

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Beachball. I had it installed by my dealer (White Arches in Northampton), along with the ATC, when I bought the caravan. The workshop manager had a look and agreed that it could be done - apparently not all caravans are suitable. They were able to install a 4 metre long Fiamma awning, which gives me the choice of just having the awning and a windbreak or putting up the Kampa Porch Awning I've just bought. The Fiamma has a built in awning channel which the Kampa will slot into.

Other options are still open for the future such as buying their Privacy Room or buying a larger awning up to the 4 metres (the porch awning I've bought is only 2.6 metres)

I've managed to squeeze in about 40 nights since July and have been very satisfied with the Fiamma awning on its own. The only reason that I bought the Porch was for wet wellies in the winter.

I believe that the F45s can be installed DIY but I preferred the dealer installation for the warranty.

Hope this helps
Dave
That’s a neat piece of design by Fiamma to enable a porch to be integrated into the built in channel. Good thinking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts