Proof of Age??

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
So the young Amazon driver has refused to deliver my new soldering iron because I could not ,would not show him proof I am over 18. I am old enough to be his grandad but he still needs to input my licence details. Not happy , goods gone back. I’ve reordered for tomorrow and will have to prove my age but is it correct I should be giving a stranger or Amazon proof of my birth date. Bearing in mind all the cyber crimes and frauds it makes you feel uneasy. Last week a £900 IPhone was left in the porch!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
So the young Amazon driver has refused to deliver my new soldering iron because I could not ,would not show him proof I am over 18. I am old enough to be his grandad but he still needs to input my licence details. Not happy , goods gone back. I’ve reordered for tomorrow and will have to prove my age but is it correct I should be giving a stranger or Amazon proof of my birth date. Bearing in mind all the cyber crimes and frauds it makes you feel uneasy. Last week a £900 IPhone was left in the porch!!

How can it be a legal requirement - we're not legally required to have ID in the UK - neither my wife or I have any photo ID, no passport and no photocard licence - we do have birth certificates which suffices for official purposes.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It does seem OTT. I have had to do it but it was just a tick box on their behalf. It would make more sense if it was like supermarkets that accept a visual check.

But I would like to know if the phone was for you!!.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi DD. Feels like things have gone mad.......common sense seems to be a thing of the past.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It does seem OTT. I have had to do it but it was just a tick box on their behalf. It would make more sense if it was like supermarkets that accept a visual check.

But I would like to know if the phone was for you!!.

John
Sadly no John, my little I phone 6 still works well but not with the last lot of track and trace. It doesn’t go beyond IOS 12?? We all need Brownie points for SWMBO😉😉😉

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
if we get any goods delivered by Amazon usually they ring the door bell leave it on the door step .and then they want feedback

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello DD

Now be honest - was it just a soldering iron or was it a soldering iron kit which includes a knife or cutting blade?

I have looked on Amazon and found the Soldering Iron Kit, ICONNTECHS 18-in-1 does have warning about proof of age being needed.

"Age Verification Required on Delivery: This product is not for sale to people under the age of 18. To confirm the recipient is over 18 years, valid photographic ID with a date of birth will be required upon delivery for all customers. The driver will input your date of birth into their device to confirm that age verification has been completed successfully, but will not be able to access your date of birth information once your delivery is complete"

Other soldering irons without knives do not carry the same warning.

The delivery driver would be held to have failed in their duty to have complied with the
Selling, buying and carrying knives legislation and without the benefit of CCTV that would be in a shop to verify the sale, the driver needs evidence the addressee is over 18.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof
You are a star!
I admit it is a Pyrography kit. No knives. Just an upmarket soldering iron, which it is including the irons but with pen attachments for pyrography.. I bought some Ashley Isles woodcarving chisels last week . No problem.
Roger L hit the nail. Same for me. Has this country gone round the twist? What about the Data Protection Act etc. The driver was about 18 and from East of Dover but doing what he’s been told..
Thanks Pete. Yes I don’t look my age. So the blokes say but no female has said so😥😥😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prof
You are a star!
I admit it is a Pyrography kit. No knives. Just an upmarket soldering iron, which it is including the irons but with pen attachments for pyrography.. I bought some Ashley Isles woodcarving chisels last week . No problem.
Roger L hit the nail. Same for me. Has this country gone round the twist? What about the Data Protection Act etc. The driver was about 18 and from East of Dover but doing what he’s been told..
Thanks Pete. Yes I don’t look my age. So the blokes say but no female has said so😥😥😥
I was quite chuffed at the dentist today when on leaving the new receptionist asked was I working from home and how did I like it? Must have been because I was wearing a face mask. Or balaclava. I told her I had been working from home for quite a while, and that I had I had been retired now for 21 years
👍 Left with a spring in my step.

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I was quite chuffed at the dentist today when on leaving the new receptionist asked was I working from home and how did I like it? Must have been because I was wearing a face mask. Or balaclava. I told her I had been working from home for quite a while, and that I had I had been retired now for 21 years
Lucky Boy! She has your number🤪🤪🤪

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Must have been a bonus thinking that you are younger then you are

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I order something from Amazon at 3pm yesterday i had a delivery at 9.30am this morning the driver rung door bell left on door step very pleased with service

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
A parcel arrived for my 20 something daughter, I answered the door and had to give her DoB to the delivery man who stood well back from the doorway. The parcel did have a bright sticker stating the requirement on it, which had not happened before. Contents - a dough scraper with a sharp edge - which probably cannot be sold to under 18s.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A parcel arrived for my 20 something daughter, I answered the door and had to give her DoB to the delivery man who stood well back from the doorway. The parcel did have a bright sticker stating the requirement on it, which had not happened before. Contents - a dough scraper with a sharp edge - which probably cannot be sold to under 18s.
I guess that it makes sense as it mirrors what shops have to do. But at least you didn’t have to show photo ID confirming age. I was once turned down from buying something as the only photo I had was my bus pass. But because it didn’t show age I was turned down. I really feel that a National photo ID would be good as at times your drivers licence can be used to confirm address but you need a separate document such as passport to confirm photo ID. But both passport and licence are drawn from the passport photo.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I guess that it makes sense as it mirrors what shops have to do. But at least you didn’t have to show photo ID confirming age. I was once turned down from buying something as the only photo I had was my bus pass. But because it didn’t show age I was turned down. I really feel that a National photo ID would be good as at times your drivers licence can be used to confirm address but you need a separate document such as passport to confirm photo ID. But both passport and licence are drawn from the passport photo.

These things are made worse as neither my wife nor I have passports or photocard licences* despite both in our 70s - shops can visually see that we're not under 18/21/25 so why can't delivery men?

* I did have a photocard licence but I'm driving on Section 88 while DVLA reassess my fitness to drive, a process that's on hold due to Covid staff shortage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Today’s delivery was made to Mrs DD. A different bloke asked for her dob . She gave a dat, rubbish, no ID check and that was that. Maybe after yesterday someone at Amazon has had a wake up call!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Amazing how 'mileage may vary'. I've been buying stuff from Amazon and other on-line stores for years and never been asked for any proof of age. In the last couple of months I've had scissors and a long bread knife. In the past I've also had gas cannisters, stanley knife blades and other supposedly dangerous stuff and never had a problem.

To be fair the postman is a friend and even the couriers know us but none of the packages have any warnings and sometime are just left in the porch.

Strangest one though was from Ebay. We went to order some Lego bricks from a trader in Glasgow - we're in the Highlands - they couldn't deliver to us but someone in the south of England could. And don't get me started on delivery charges.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Amazing how 'mileage may vary'. I've been buying stuff from Amazon and other on-line stores for years and never been asked for any proof of age. In the last couple of months I've had scissors and a long bread knife. In the past I've also had gas cannisters, stanley knife blades and other supposedly dangerous stuff and never had a problem.

To be fair the postman is a friend and even the couriers know us but none of the packages have any warnings and sometime are just left in the porch.

Strangest one though was from Ebay. We went to order some Lego bricks from a trader in Glasgow - we're in the Highlands - they couldn't deliver to us but someone in the south of England could. And don't get me started on delivery charges.
A few years ago we bought a brand new bulldog hitch lock [used once only] and overnight I received it from down south with UPS [POSTAGE FREE]. We were very pleased and shows there are still bargains out there. to each is own

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts