Proposed changes to MOT testing

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
IMO the problem with changing to first MoT at 4 years old is that many cars will have only been in a workshop once in all that time as so many cars have 20,000 miles ot two years servicing.

I'd also agree that annual testing theeafter should be retained.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMO the problem with changing to first MoT at 4 years old is that many cars will have only been in a workshop once in all that time as so many cars have 20,000 miles ot two years servicing.

I'd also agree that annual testing theeafter should be retained.

Don't most manufacturers require the annual service or mileage limit i.e. 20k miles whichever comes first?

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Don't most manufacturers require the annual service or mileage limit i.e. 20k miles whichever comes first?
Many have up to 30k km (~18k miles, often rounded up to 20k miles) or 2 year service interval, if using the appropriate oil and avoiding any prescribed severe operating conditions. In fact such vehicles often monitor their own use and flag the service time based on what it has experienced. For example lots of cold starts, short journeys, towing or whatever will shorten the service interval.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many have up to 30k km (~18k miles, often rounded up to 20k miles) or 2 year service interval, if using the appropriate oil and avoiding any prescribed severe operating conditions. In fact such vehicles often monitor their own use and flag the service time based on what it has experienced. For example lots of cold starts, short journeys, towing or whatever will shorten the service interval.
Our Jeep flags up when a oil change is due and also flags up a message if the prescribed 12500 miles is reached. Normally get a warning about the mileage at 11,000 miles. I know this as our annual service is based on time and not mileage and occasionally the mechanic forgets to reset the system after a service.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You must also consider the fact that a service may not cover all the aspects required by an MOT.

Based on a number of time when brand new vehicles I've know have developed major problems within the first few months of ownership, In my opinion I think every new vehicle should have an MOT before its sold, and then every year as all 3 year and older ones are presently required.

I also thing classic cars (40 and more years old) should have a "Classics" MOT's as being older and used less they could be easily deteriorate more and and have a greater risk of being dangerous.

Reactions: figbat
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As Figbat posted, many are 2 years or 20,000 miles - albeit they'll happily do an interim oil change at the 1 year/10,000 mile mark.
In that 4 year period the vehicle will probably be in the workshop at least once, but as pointed out the service does not cover many aspects of the MOT test so a service has no bearing on a possible MOT failure.

Anyway in effect a MOT refers to the condition of the vehicle on the day it is inspected and not the next day, week or month afterwards. I think we have all seen vehicles where you wonder how they got through a MOT and a MOT does not prevent the driver from driving in an unsafe manner.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think MOT’s are a great safety procedure in order to maintain a minimum standard on the road and in re-sales. But if owners look after and pre-empt problems they contribute little. For example. my car is in its 10th year and has never even had an MOT advisory.

But we all share the roads with people who are indifferent to the needs of their vehicles. So I am happy to continue to have an MOT. I dont think moving to 4 years will have much, if any, affect on safety.

I realise it is done as a household money saving move. Perhaps also a political move? It may also slightly improve cost of living statistics. But perhaps not so good for testing stations business.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If a four year period of grace for the first MOT is created, but it remains a yearly event afterwards, it won't make a more than about a 10% dip in business for the stations in year 4 after its introduced.

But if it does also move to a 2 year periodic test frequency, then it could make a substantive reduction in test business. But it also open up the MOT test scheme to cover even more aspects of the vehicle which it might need to do with a longer period between tests.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately the MOT is only good for the day the vehicle is tested and does not prevent speeding and stupid driver behavior. After the test they can refit the old worn tyres etc that they had on the car prior to the test and still use the car.

However the MOT does help keep the majority of cars roadworthy and safe to use on roads. IMHO there should be a lot more roadside checks on vehicles even new ones!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m a supporter of the MoT. Most new cars will be regularly serviced in their first three years especially company ones or private ones still maintaining warranty. Mine were checked every three months by the company service centres. I don’t think many used car accidents are down to the car being “ unsafe”apart possibly from tyres, steering or suspension. But the overwhelming majority of accidents are driver error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
This is the bit that will make sure we all move to electric :(

"Potential new measures include introducing testing of pollutants such as particulate number (PN) and NOx to ensure diesel, petrol and hybrid cars always meet emissions requirements throughout their lifespan."

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts