Pwoer Centre Light is on but not 12v output

Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
HI All, 1997 ABI Marauder

I have 240v power (fridge and sockets) but nothing on the 12v side. The electrics box is a Power Centre II and the lights are on and the trip switch works but no lights, pump etc.

Fuses on the power centre are ok and the battery is dead if relevant. Help appreciated!

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rufus,

Welcome to the forum.

If the battery is dead, then that is very relevant, as your 12V light needs 12V power which comes from the battery.

The fact your 230V ac system is turned on, and the battery is still dead tells me that either you have not set all your switches to the correct position, and or the caravans built in 12V charger does not seem to be working.

Check all your control panel switches.

I suggest you get the battery out and put it on charge to see if it is still able to hold a charge, If it cant, then you will need to replace the battery.

As for the charger in the caravan that needs to be checked to see it it does actually work. If it doesn't, then you will need to find a replacement for that also.

If you do not feel confident doing these checks you might consider looking for a mobile caravan service guy from teh Approved Workshop Scheme (AWS) who can come to the caravan to check and advise or repair.

Reactions: rufus357 and Mel
Jul 25, 2022
Visit site
thank you for this info. I charged the battery and the 12v now works. I also tested and there is no voltage across the caravan battery terminals when the 240v is on so the charge is not work or in fact there is no charger.

Im still a bit surprised that the caravan 240v to 12v thingy doesnt work without the battery being in

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
By 1997 most models of caravans were being supplied with a least a built in battery charger or power supply. These would need to be switched on, and of course they needed mains power to run them. They almost always needed a 12V battery to be connected to ensure the 12V supply was both smooth and not excessively high.

I would be very surprised if your caravan did not have some form of battery charger or 12V power supply when it was sold. From your description it does read as though the charger is not working. Most caravans will have a charger on/off switch somewhere.

Its far from uncommon to find that the built in charger may have developed a fault and stopped working. Its unlikely you would find a direct replacement unit for your caravan, but there are some companies who might be able to repair yours, or you could fit a modern multi-stage battery charger ( E.g Ctek chargers) which would look after your battery far better than most built in caravan chargers.

I suggest you double check your 12V switches and confirm whether you have a charger or whether its working or not.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think with the age of the caravan, and the fact that with a charged battery 12 volt systems are working, then the charger , if it is there, is not working. With 240 ehu connected, check across the battery terminals and see what voltage you have, if a charger is fitted and working then you should have a reading above 13 volts across the battery terminals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts