Quasar 462 (2007) - battery charger fuse and controller

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Got a problem with my battery charger - it's not charging. Trying to check the fuse as a first port of call but I can't find one in the charging circuit. There is one on the fuse board under the seat (next to the trips) that says battery but it seems to be for the 12v appliances in the caravan from the battery (15amp). It's intact and the accessories all work fine. Just that the battery runs down over the space of a week or 2 (depending on how much I use it). The next question would be how do I get into the charging controller if the fuse is OK?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You say the charger is not charging, but then say the battery goes flat after a couple of weeks. Are you leaving the caravan hooked up and this happens while it is on charge, or is the battery being fully charged and just running down when no hook up is attached?
If the battery is not charging when hooked up, possibly it is the charger, it is 15 years old and that may have died. You would need to check if there is a charge at the battery terminals to see if there is a current there if you have the equipment.
I do not know if there is a separate fuse for the charger, but if there is it will not be inside the fuse box and I would not try opening that, it could be in the wiring.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
You say the charger is not charging, but then say the battery goes flat after a couple of weeks. Are you leaving the caravan hooked up and this happens while it is on charge, or is the battery being fully charged and just running down when no hook up is attached?
If the battery is not charging when hooked up, possibly it is the charger, it is 15 years old and that may have died. You would need to check if there is a charge at the battery terminals to see if there is a current there if you have the equipment.
I do not know if there is a separate fuse for the charger, but if there is it will not be inside the fuse box and I would not try opening that, it could be in the wiring.
Raywood, Thanks for the responce. I have two batteries. My first responce to the issue was that the original battery was duff so got a new one. It's not duff so I now have two batteries on rotation (an expensive option, given that I don't really need it). I charge the 'spare' using a battery charger off the caravan then swap them over.
Yes, the caravan is on hook-up. I put a multimeter on the battery cables, battery disconnected, and was getting something like 0.2v (might have been 0.02, can't recall exactly). I fully expect to have to change the charging control but it looks like it's all contained within the box under the seat and can't see how to open it up (disconnected from the hookup, obviously).

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If there is a current getting through then it is not the fuse and the charger looks like the most obvious problem. Not sure where it is in the 2007 models but it is often in the wall locker by the door.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Thank you again, Raywood. Under one of the couches there's a box of electrics (fuses, circuit breakers) where all the cables lead to/from. There doesn't appear to be any others. It's located next to the battery box/hookup point.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the charger is faulty I think replacement will be needed although there are some firms who might be able to repair it but that may be uneconomical. The usual maker is Sargeant, but I am not sure if yours is, there should be a name on it, and if you have this and the model number the maker may be able to assist.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
That's one of the problems I'm having, Raywood. I can unscrew the whole box from the seatbox but I can't see an obvious way of getting into the gubbins of it. There must be a way - just not obvious. I have no problem replacing the current (no pun intended) one with an alternative, even if it sits outside the original box.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
That's one of the problems I'm having, Raywood. I can unscrew the whole box from the seatbox but I can't see an obvious way of getting into the gubbins of it. There must be a way - just not obvious. I have no problem replacing the current (no pun intended) one with an alternative, even if it sits outside the original box.

Pictures may help others to give advice.

John

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Pictue of the main electric control box. There are 4 screws for emoving it from the bulkhead but nothing (obvious) for taking the cover off.

Attachments

• 20220306_124815.jpg
    20220306_124815.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 4

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts