Question for LMH

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I am sure you can answer this question my children asked me the other day.

We have some travellers 'camped' in a lay-bye near us and when we drove past the other day my children (6 and 11) asked me if gypsies had a Christmas and if they did do they have a tree and do their children have presents and if they do they cant have many because there is nowhere to put them etc etc.

I said I knew a lady who could answer their query.

Regards Martyn

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

Thank you for the enquiry! It's brilliant to note that two children have raised some questions regarding Gypsies and Irish travellers. That is very encouraging.

This is my repy to your children:

Hello

Thanks for asking about Gypsy children and what they do at Christmas. I can tell you they love Christmas as most Gypsies are Catholic and are very religious and believe in God and Jesus. Christmas is a very exciting time for young Gypsy children. They tend to have large families and mostly live in groups with lots of family members. I think that is quite nice as you could see your grandma and grandad all the time. You can also play with your cousins too. If you are a Gypsy child, you will probably have lots of brothers and sisters.

This means that if you are a Gypsy boy or girl, you DO get lots of presents at Christmas. You are right that they haven't got much space in their caravans but they will always find somewhere to keep their new presents. Some children will sneak their presents into their dads truck to keep them out of the way! I wonder if your dad would like to sit on a toy when he gets in his car?

They do have Christmas trees but a lot smaller than the one you probably have in your house. They have fairy lights on their trees too. Where I live, the Firefighters and myself visit Gypsies and tell them about the dangers of leaving fairy lights on when no one is in and also about the dangers of lighting candles and then leaving them too.

Just one more thing. Your dad said you are aged six and eleven and I bet you are both good at reading and writing. Well, some of the Gypsy children are good at reading and writing too, but did you know, most of the older Gypsy people (like their mums, dads and grandparents) can't read or write? The Gypsy children the same age as you have to read their cards and letters to their mums, dads and grandparents and also write things for them.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas and I hope you get lots of nice presents. Thanks for asking about Gypsy children at Christmas.

Lisa xxxx

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Merry Christmas to you

Lisa

*** edited by moderator to remove reference to deleted message that was antagonistic

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lisa. My daughter, Verity, has printed it to take to school, they are doing a project in a lesson called 'opening minds' on alternative Christmases and they had not considered gypsies (which is what prompted her to ask)

What was all the above about? I hope I did not cause any friction with my non confrontational question? perhaps some forum members could do with their 'minds opened'

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martyn

That's brilliant, please give my thanks to Verity for taking the time to consider Gypsies.

Re the mods comments, someone thought it appropriate to make a sweeping statement.

Takes all sorts!

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts