Rail mounted thule omnistor awning

Jul 11, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone have a suggestion of how to set up and pack up a rail mounted omnistor awning by one person?

At the moment it has to be supported at one end whilst folding the rafter and leg into the awning tube at the other end.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I could do the Fiamma variant by reducing the height of the front in stages after releasing the pressure on the end rafters. When down as far as it will go, I can fold away one end followed by the other. Job then jobbed.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We have a Thule Omnistore 3.0M.
Why not just release some pressure from the rafter and leg at one end, but leave both in place as a support. Then move to the other end and proceed as you were. Alternatively, fold the rafter right down and onto the leg at one end, leaving a tie down strap or guy rope and peg. Then proceed as you were.
By the way, I use a small stepladder, as I'm slightly short. This saves reaching.

Jul 11, 2021
Visit site
We have a Thule Omnistore 3.0M.
Why not just release some pressure from the rafter and leg at one end, but leave both in place as a support. Then move to the other end and proceed as you were. Alternatively, fold the rafter right down and onto the leg at one end, leaving a tie down strap or guy rope and peg. Then proceed as you were.
By the way, I use a small stepladder, as I'm slightly short. This saves reaching.
Have you tried either of those suggestions?
I found that the angle of the front tube seemed to put a strain on the joints, which are not the best design

Jul 11, 2021
Visit site
I could do the Fiamma variant by reducing the height of the front in stages after releasing the pressure on the end rafters. When down as far as it will go, I can fold away one end followed by the other. Job then jobbed.

John
I had no problem with a fiamma. But the omnistor is not as easy

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Have you tried either of those suggestions?
I found that the angle of the front tube seemed to put a strain on the joints, which are not the best design
Yes. The roller comes down to about 5ft height with the rafter clipped to the leg. The joints are close to the limit of their articulation, but not binding. We watched a one person demo using the tie down strap to hold the roller.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I have almost done it single handed. The snag for me is that I am afraid the rafter will dig into the side panel of the caravan if it slips.
This is my plan:
Note the location for the tie down pegs when its erected from previous session. Start by putting the pegs in. Roll out the canopy and erect both legs as far as the shortest length stops, connecting the straps with a lot of slack. Put the rafters up and tension them and the legs. Tension the straps.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021
Visit site
I have almost done it single handed. The snag for me is that I am afraid the rafter will dig into the side panel of the caravan if it slips.
This is my plan:
Note the location for the tie down pegs when its erected from previous session. Start by putting the pegs in. Roll out the canopy and erect both legs as far as the shortest length stops, connecting the straps with a lot of slack. Put the rafters up and tension them and the legs. Tension the straps.
I'll try that. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts