Rally Organising?

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
We are interested in the idea of caravan rallies.
As a natural "organiser" ,they do not seem that difficult to put together!.
Has anybody ever ran an event?.
What are the pitfalls if any?.
I have read several reports in the magazines, and they look and sound like great fun.
I realise they are not for everybody, but am interested in others experiences, good, bad or terrible!.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
May I suggest you attend one of the rallies put on by either of the two clubs, or ones organised by Owners clubs to get first hand experience. Also use the time there to pick the brains of the organisers.

You need to look at things like: green field site with no facilities, hookups, etc through to rallies at commercial sites, etc.

Edit - The Woosies hold a rally each year, normally on a commercial site (so you don't have to be a member of a club) and out of season (cheaper). There needs to be a bar on site or with in easy [strike]walking[/strike] staggering distance, and it's a bonus if the site has a function room we can use. We had the free use of the on-site cafe (in the evening after it was closed) at one location with a roaring log fire. Fantastic. ;)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Although I don't usually respond as never get a thank you :angry: , there are also a number of considerations such as club insurance for holding an organised rally.

The Woosie get togethers are strictly friends booking pitches near each other.

The ACCEO (Association of Caravanning and Camping Exempted Organisations) website is the best place to start when thinking of all things rally related.

It is not as straight forward as many would think.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi PF, I have never been a fan of organised "Things" and last year when I mentioned to SWMBO, about the Woosie Club get together she was a bit miffed, but we had a great time at Pickering, chosen by Sproket, and nobody was in each others faces, then "The king of The Woosies" had a spring get together. Another success. I Like these small get togethers where you can put a face to a name. But i,t is surprising how much hard work it takes to do. As Martin Says go to a couple of club ones and see how it goes, personally I dont like going off grid. But thats just me.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
We are interested in the idea of caravan rallies.
As a natural "organiser" ,they do not seem that difficult to put together!.
Has anybody ever ran an event?.
What are the pitfalls if any?.
I have read several reports in the magazines, and they look and sound like great fun.
I realise they are not for everybody, but am interested in others experiences, good, bad or terrible!.

Every successful 'casual' or 'non organised' event I have arranged or attended, has seen the 'organiser' doing extraordinary things behind the scenes to make the event a success.

More praise is due to the organiser than is sometimes received, without the organiser the world would be a lesser place.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
My favorites are the Temporary Holiday Sites (THS) organised by local branches (DA's) of the C&CC. They are mostly basic 'green field' locations, and are organised and stewarded purely by volunteers, whose efforts I hugely appreciate There is usually no need to book (indeed on many you cannot book) and you can turn up and leave at any time during the time the THS is operating......often about a month.

Once onsite you do exactly as you please just as you would on any Club or commercial site .....no 'organized' activities which you are 'expected' to participate in.

Finally, the majority are around £10 per UNIT/night, or less.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that to set up and organise rallies on your own behalf you need some sort of certificate
If you are a C&CC member you automatically become a member of your local district association who organise and administer rallies for the club.
If you become a regular at DA rallies there is a strong possibility of you being asked to steward rallies and temporary holiday sites.
We've done a few, stewarding is a great way to get to know lots of fellow caravanners from all over the country because DA rallies and THS are open to every C&CC member regardless of which DA they belong to.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Forgot to add, DAs recruit committee members from within their own ranks, if you like organising things this could be right up your street.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Parksy said:
I think that to set up and organise rallies on your own behalf you need some sort of certificate

Is this a club thing or something as until a few years ago i was doing 2 or 3 tented events a year and never had a certificate, did have liability insurance but thats it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mogwyth said:
Parksy said:

Is this a club thing or something as until a few years ago i was doing 2 or 3 tented events a year and never had a certificate, did have liability insurance but thats it.

When I first saw this I was in general agreement with Mogwyth, but after some thought it soon becomes clear there is a lot that needs to be properly considered before attempting to arrange a meet. I don't think there is general certificate for this as such, but certainly there is quite a lot to be considered and put in place before any meet can take place.

There shouldn't be to much of a problem on a recognised caravan site, but if its on a green field site you would need to ensure the essential infrastructure is set up. It may require seeking permision from the local authority for temporary change of use.

You may find this link to the Caravan and Camping Club of some use:
https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/outandaboutonline/

Look at the very bottom of the page

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
A Certificate of Exemption is needed from, Natural England, The Welsh Assembly Government (Planning Division) or The Scottish Government (Housing Markets Supply Division)

Over 200 clubs run by elected volunteers belong to ACCEO. The ACCEO website tells you pretty much all you need to know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Martin for the heads up.

This is the website
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/camping-and-caravanning-site-exemption-certificates-know-the-rules-and-how-to-apply.

I think it's only fair to say that this is just the start, and you would need to consult the full rules which will begin to dictate the other essential provisions you would need organise and run a meet.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Martin24 said:
A Certificate of Exemption is needed from, Natural England, The Welsh Assembly Government (Planning Division) or The Scottish Government (Housing Markets Supply Division)

Over 200 clubs run by elected volunteers belong to ACCEO. The ACCEO website tells you pretty much all you need to know.

I thought that there was a requirement for recognised certification for rally organisers.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello Parksy, I think the certification is for the group rather than the individual. I can't remember exactly but I don't think I had to have certification as an individual.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Martin.
My point is that if an individual hoped to organise caravan rallies that individual would need to check the legal requirements and to ensure that the necessary certification was in place beforehand.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Caught up with you Parksy, Absolutely correct, an individual would have a lot of work to do including getting an exemption certificate and of course relevant insurances.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts