Range Rover P400e

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone.
Sorry for my radio silence for so long!
I currently drive a 2011 Range Rover 4.4 Diesel 8 speed Vogue with the Jaguar pop up gear selector. but we are now at 85,000 and my company stop paying for it at 80,000!
I have kept quiet so far, however, my deceit is catching up with me so I need to let her go! It breaks my heart, but I have to sell her.
I am thinking of (or being tempted by) the new RR P400e plug-in hybrid, either the Sport or preferably the Vogue.
I have never had a plug-in or hybrid before and would like to know from experience, if someone out there has towed with a P400e and what the performance is like.
My understanding is that whilst the motor is fully charged, the performance and torgue are exceptional, however, if i have a a 1750kg twin axle van behind me and towing with a very heavy tow car which is only 2 L with the motor flat, hows it going to tow?
Over to the floor!
Thanks as always.
Southy

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The model is very new and I doubt there are any owners out there but you never know. What you need to look at though is that as the additional battery power does not last long and you will have to tow on the conventional engine alone most of the time. You need to see what the power and torque is when in this mode and see if you are happy there is sufficient power for your needs. I suspect that a 2 litre engine will struggle with that weight, but have not seen the figures for the output.

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I was not expecting a massive response!
The braked towing capacity has been reduced to 2500kg so technically, its fine and a 404 BHP. My concern is whether this changed dramatically when the battery is flat!
I am not technically minded enough to be able to understand Torque curves etc!
Hopefully, there is someone out there that might be able to advise even if they don't have a P400e.
Thanks for your time.
Southy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Southy1 said:
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to respond, I was not expecting a massive response!
The braked towing capacity has been reduced to 2500kg so technically, its fine and a 404 BHP. My concern is whether this changed dramatically when the battery is flat!
I am not technically minded enough to be able to understand Torque curves etc!
Hopefully, there is someone out there that might be able to advise even if they don't have a P400e.
Thanks for your time.
Southy

Braked towing capacity relates to the cars ability to do a number of successive hill starts on a 12% incline. I would guess its with its batteries starting off fully charged.
A 2 litre petrol can deliver power and torque IE 2.3,Ford Ecoboost but whether it’s characteristic make for a relaxing towing experience is difficult to say. The Outlander PHEV seems to struggle once it’s out of amps. But if you don’t tow many miles then a comprise may be acceptable. RR normally designed to tow but if the markets needs are changing then JLR may sacrifice that ability in order to sell cars to drivers who do not tow or go far into the dirt.
Be interested to hear any further information that you obtain. .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The RR website does carry some information for example the electric motor produces 105kw whilst the 2.0L petrol engine produces 212kw. Just on the petrol alone, that’s the equivalent of about 280 bhp, which is no small amount.

I suspect that even when the batteries are no longer providing power the RR will stall have more than adequate towing power. It still has a very healthy 2500kg towed weight limit so realistically I can’t see it struggling to tow any conventional caravan.

TRENDING THREADS