Rear dash cam for caravans.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi
I put a rear view camera on the back of our caravan after the first lockdown due to a couple of bad experiences with cyclists deciding to start a sprint race when I was overtaking them, I got a reversing camera, 12v monitor (5 inch) with windscreen mount and a wireless transmitter and receiver. The transmitter and camera connected to battery via a 3amp fuse and switch, the receiver and monitor just plug into aux 12v in car
You may find this link useful

Gra

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi
I put a rear view camera on the back of our caravan after the first lockdown due to a couple of bad experiences with cyclists deciding to start a sprint race when I was overtaking them, I got a reversing camera, 12v monitor (5 inch) with windscreen mount and a wireless transmitter and receiver. The transmitter and camera connected to battery via a 3amp fuse and switch, the receiver and monitor just plug into aux 12v in car
You may find this link useful

Gra

I used to have one of those, they are sold under various guises. They are well made and robust. Easily fitted and removed by magnets or velcro. The down side for me. Which could well have been fixed, are the poor apps. Achieving a stable link and not being able to get rid of the grid lines which serve no purpose for a rear view camera.

Ideally, rear view cameras have a different viewing angle than a reversing camera. I forget the angles.

John

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I used to have one of those, they are sold under various guises. They are well made and robust. Easily fitted and removed by magnets or velcro. The down side for me. Which could well have been fixed, are the poor apps. Achieving a stable link and not being able to get rid of the grid lines which serve no purpose for a rear view camera.

Ideally, rear view cameras have a different viewing angle than a reversing camera. I forget the angles.

John
I want a rear view camera for 7m OAL caravan, to wifi to my iPhone, to use while driving night and day, give me a clear view of what’s behind. Reversing not important. Which do you recommend?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I want a rear view camera for 7m OAL caravan, to wifi to my iPhone, to use while driving night and day, give me a clear view of what’s behind. Reversing not important. Which do you recommend?

I found the one Graylay recommended was fine, when it worked. If the app has been improved it might be fine.

I don't know if these are any good or not, but you can get good info from this site.

John

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Does anyone have any info or advice on dash cams for rear of caravan

For several years I've used one of the cheap kits bought off ebay for around 20 quid. Even now they're less than £30. The monitor attaches to the nearside corner of the windscreen, angled so that I can see it at a glance. The camera is fitted on the rear of the caravan and attached to the underside of the floor. The wiring is clipped alongside the chassis rails and under the carpets in the car. Power for the camera is taken from a switched battery source in the caravan, and power for the monitor is via the 12volt socket. I have a plug/socket connector between the car and van when I'm towing. Picture quality isn't brilliant, but then if I'm looking for quality pictures, I use my cameras.

P1010081.JPG

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
For several years I've used one of the cheap kits bought off ebay for around 20 quid. Even now they're less than £30. The monitor attaches to the nearside corner of the windscreen, angled so that I can see it at a glance. The camera is fitted on the rear of the caravan and attached to the underside of the floor. The wiring is clipped alongside the chassis rails and under the carpets in the car. Power for the camera is taken from a switched battery source in the caravan, and power for the monitor is via the 12volt socket. I have a plug/socket connector between the car and van when I'm towing. Picture quality isn't brilliant, but then if I'm looking for quality pictures, I use my cameras.

View attachment 3780
I have something similar 10 years old now a 5 inch screen in the car. Fixed wiring goes down the right hand awning rail . About £100 at the time. Still fantastic. Gret in the dark. Adjust

Attachments

• Studio_20200720_233609.png
    Studio_20200720_233609.png
    542.2 KB · Views: 16

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts