Rear Marker Light 1996 Swift Challenger 470SE

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section?

We've just collected our caravan from storage, where it's been since October last year, and we've noticed one of the covers for a rear marker light is missing.

Does anybody know where on earth I can get a new cover, or even a whole fitting? I can't seem to find one the same online anywhere. Unfortunately I forgot to measure it, but I'll pop back to the storage site when I can.

G1e8dkNh.jpg

wHQWIXFh.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You could try a caravan breakers but given the age of the caravan theirs may not be in great condition. Also the connections to yours are likely to be corroded. I would look for a new replacement and fit that even allowing fir the fact it may not be an exact copy of yours. But if the dimensions are suitable it wouldn’t look out of place once the light had been fitted and the area cleaned up. There are quite a number of types to choose from at the various caravan parts outlets. Good luck.

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
You could try a caravan breakers but given the age of the caravan theirs may not be in great condition. Also the connections to yours are likely to be corroded. I would look for a new replacement and fit that even allowing fir the fact it may not be an exact copy of yours. But if the dimensions are suitable it wouldn’t look out of place once the light had been fitted and the area cleaned up. There are quite a number of types to choose from at the various caravan parts outlets. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.

I'll go measure it and see how close of a match I can find in a new replacement!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Surely that’s your high level brake light.

The original may be difficult to find and possibly expensive. EBay and Amazon have lots of cheap alternatives. If one like this was over sized, it might cover the whole area. Perhaps screwed and mastic’d in .

1625143109064.jpeg

It only needs 12 volt + and - connected into the existing wiring.

That example is here.

John

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site

The original may be difficult to find and possibly expensive. EBay and Amazon have lots of cheap alternatives. If one like this was over sized, it might cover the whole area. Perhaps screwed and mastic’d in .

View attachment 1855

That example is here.

John
No high level brake light here! There are two of these, one on each side and just act like marker lights. I think this caravan is a little old for a high level brake light, they weren't even mandatory on cars when this left the showroom!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

View attachment 1855

That example is here.

John
It could be an option if dimensions are correct and significantly cheaper than those offered by caravan outlets. But thats not a surprise. But as for “ surely………….” unless it’s the angle of the photograph I don’t see it like you do. 👓.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
No high level brake light here! There are two of these, one on each side and just act like marker lights. I think this caravan is a little old for a high level brake light, they weren't even mandatory on cars when this left the showroom!

Understood. 😁

In that case my idea is OK in principle, but the brake light are high intensity, so far too bright for marker lights.

Another thought.

Remove the old light fitting, blank the recess with upvc, with something like this in the front.

1625144404759.jpeg

Cheap as chips.

John

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Understood. 😁

In that case my idea is OK in principle, but the brake light are high intensity, so far too bright for marker lights.

Another thought.

Remove the old light fitting, blank the recess with upvc, with something like this in the front.

View attachment 1856

Cheap as chips.

John
Yes, that's a good idea. Thank you.

There's also a Swift from the same era being 'broken' on eBay at the moment so I may see how much they want for the marker lights from that. Trying to keep costs down as it's such an old van!

They still seem to make every other form of marker light that's on this van, but not the one that's broken! Typical!

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Looking at the photos it looks like our 1996 swift corniche top rear lights the centre bulb is a high level tail light and the 2 outside bulbs are a high level brake lights

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Looking at the photos it looks like our 1996 swift corniche top rear lights the centre bulb is a high level tail light and the 2 outside bulbs are a high level brake lights
Sounds like I'm going to have to make another trip down to the storage site to work out what these lights are actually connected to!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts