Rear View Cameras & Reversing Cameras

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone.
I currently view these as "nice to have", rather than essential.
I like the idea of a Rear View Camera to supplement the towing mirrors and help keep an eye on what is going on behind me when I am towing.
I curently don't feel any great need for a Reversing Camera, but I am open to the possibility I might change my mind after I get some experience of towing my new to me Lunar Alaria.
I have done some preliminary Google research, but not found much to date.
I would therefore be very interested in hearing your personal experiences, opinions and advice on these two aftermarket options.
Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I stopped for diesel once when I was towing through France. I pulled up in a straight line at the pumps but quickly realised the cashier's cabin had the shutters down. It was lunchtime! The barrier wouldn't open so I needed to reverse. I checked both mirrors and I had a clear view down both sides. I selected reverse and moved back. BANG! I got out to see one of those small 2-stroke French cars tucked in behind me. Eventually, I got around to fitting a camera. It's just a cheap ebay outfit which cost something like £25. The picture quality isn't great, but then I've also got a camera. To save drilling the rear of the caravan, I fitted the camera under the floor with the cables tied to the chassis running forward to the hitch. The monitor is attached to the windscreen with a rubber sucker bracket.
It makes for a more relaxing tow when I can see the screen.

P1050710.JPG

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
I stopped for diesel once when I was towing through France. I pulled up in a straight line at the pumps but quickly realised the cashier's cabin had the shutters down. It was lunchtime! The barrier wouldn't open so I needed to reverse. I checked both mirrors and I had a clear view down both sides. I selected reverse and moved back. BANG! I got out to see one of those small 2-stroke French cars tucked in behind me. Eventually, I got around to fitting a camera. It's just a cheap ebay outfit which cost something like £25. The picture quality isn't great, but then I've also got a camera. To save drilling the rear of the caravan, I fitted the camera under the floor with the cables tied to the chassis running forward to the hitch. The monitor is attached to the windscreen with a rubber sucker bracket.
It makes for a more relaxing tow when I can see the screen.

View attachment 4051
That is a compelling tale that persuades me of the benefit of a camera.
I like your low cost Ebay solution and DIY approach.
Have you wired it all the way, direct to the monitor?
If so, how easy was that to do?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Have you wired it all the way, direct to the monitor?
If so, how easy was that to do?

Both the camera and the monitor need a 12volt supply. The camera is supplied from the caravan battery through a fuse and a switch in the caravan, but it can be supplied from the fridge supply. The monitor is supplied through the car's 12volt socket. The cable runs under the estate cars matting to a socket at the tow hitch and the camera line runs attached to the chassis rails to a plug at the hitch. All very low-tech.

Reactions: Kingsley
Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Both the camera and the monitor need a 12volt supply. The camera is supplied from the caravan battery through a fuse and a switch in the caravan, but it can be supplied from the fridge supply. The monitor is supplied through the car's 12volt socket. The cable runs under the estate cars matting to a socket at the tow hitch and the camera line runs attached to the chassis rails to a plug at the hitch. All very low-tech.
Thanks for the explanation.
Good job!
I like low tech & low cost.
I also prefer hard wired to wireless.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The wife bought me a wired one from Amazon about 12 years ago, the monitor is powered from a power socket in the car and the camera I have fitted to the back of the van with double sided tape. I run the cables down the right hand side awning rail and through the rear boot lid. It cost about £120 at the time, probably about £60 now. Fantastic.
Studio_20200720_233609.png

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I also prefer hard wired to wireless.
May I ask why you prefer hard wired? I ask because a wired connection between car and caravan is a bit of a bind. From my experience, wireless is not that great. I had frequent breakdown of connection, but I now have a Wifi version and that is absolutely perfect with a really sharp image on my mobile phone. Besides, it means that nothing new has to be fitted to the car.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
May I ask why you prefer hard wired? I ask because a wired connection between car and caravan is a bit of a bind. From my experience, wireless is not that great. I had frequent breakdown of connection, but I now have a Wifi version and that is absolutely perfect with a really sharp image on my mobile phone. Besides, it means that nothing new has to be fitted to the car.

Could you provide any details of your WiFi reversing setup.

I'm interested in one that uses WiFi but doesn't need an Internet connection.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Looking at your mobile phone whilst driving could be misinterpreted by any passing police car. And some of them don't like being argued with.
It's no different to watching any other monitor. Besides. it's fairly easy to prove that the mobile phone was used for no other purpose.

Could you provide any details of your WiFi reversing setup.

I'm interested in one that uses WiFi but doesn't need an Internet connection.

Thanks
I have a Dometic VT 100 Wifi rear view camera system. I believe it's no longer in production and all the current Dometic rear view systems appear to be a lot more expensive, but one may perhaps find a used VT 100 on Ebay.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I use a sat nav program on my phone. It's in a holder so totally hands free. Is this any different than using a dedicated sat nav device?

So using the phone to act as a reversing screen doesn't seem any different to me.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The wife bought me a wired one from Amazon about 12 years ago, the monitor is powered from a power socket in the car and the camera I have fitted to the back of the van with double sided tape. I run the cables down the right hand side awning rail and through the rear boot lid. It cost about £120 at the time, probably about £60 now. Fantastic.
View attachment 4052
A very nice neat job.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Looking at your mobile phone whilst driving could be misinterpreted by any passing police car. And some of them don't like being argued with.
If the phone is in a dash-mounted holder then it's quite legal, at least in the UK - the French may have some obscure rule against it.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
4051-236c1557c87b340a96323ff0e3694df2.jpg

.......Salamanca;)

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Similar experience to yourself with wireless - not that good and very annoying when you lose the connection.
I'm open to any options that are effective and reliable.
I will take a look at WiFi - thanks

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had a rear view camera on the caravan although I have often thought it was a good idea, Personally I never reverse without having someone make sure the area behind is clear as the blind spot is just too large.
We have a factory fit reversing camera on the car though and would thoroughly recommend this. It is great for reversing into parking spaces and on our narrow drive and means you can normally just drive under the hitch without help. The sun can affect this though.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
.......Salamanca;) We will book a holiday there and explore the area :D

I was last there in 2015. In the arcaded main square, between every arch, there is a plaque to the dozens of famous individuals who have been featured throughout Spanish history. When I was last there I found in a corner, the memorial to Franco (showing signs of cleaned-up graffiti). Now that his tomb has been removed from the Valley of the Fallen and his remains placed in some obscure cemetery, I've often wondered if they've disposed of his profile in the square.

P1050669.JPG P1050668.JPG

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
In the 90s fitted a hard wired one to the rear of our "Schooner" it was the type fitted to motorhomes, very useful. Now with modern cars a lot tend to have large screens built into the dash + built in reversing cameras, at least in the Hilux, I wonder if there is a way that when a van is on the back, the screen takes the image from the caravans camera (hardwire or WiFi) instead of the cars, or both, which would be better for hitching up, just a thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the 90s fitted a hard wired one to the rear of our "Schooner" it was the type fitted to motorhomes, very useful. Now with modern cars a lot tend to have large screens built into the dash + built in reversing cameras, at least in the Hilux, I wonder if there is a way that when a van is on the back, the screen takes the image from the caravans camera (hardwire or WiFi) instead of the cars, or both, which would be better for hitching up, just a thought.
I was wondering the same thing.

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
I would expect that to be technically possible.
Not sure about the cost. ICE Technicians can be relatively expensive.
Great for a reversing camera that only uses the monitor when reversing.
Not so good for a rear view camera that is being used all the time.
It would be monopolising the monitor and presumably preventing viewing and or access to the other ICE functions - unless the clever ICE Technician could find a way round that.
I like the idea in principle - use the existing monitor - no need for a new one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts