Rear view & reversing camera for Caravan

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

Just had one of these fitted. Its a wired unit with an HD 1080p camera with ‘night sight’. It is hard wired to the van and this results in an extra cable to connect the caravan to the car. There is internal wiring in the car which powers the camera on the caravan and provides a view from it to a 7 inch screen which clips to the rear view mirror. As you will appreciate with the caravan attached all you could see in the rear view mirror is the caravan!

I must say it is a boon! I never realised how many people will drive quickly up to the back of a caravan so as they disappear in your mirrors, and then decide to pull out to overtake you seemingly appearing from nowhere. Since having this camera fitted they can’t sneak up on me now!

Cost fitted £750. It works to reverse the van too but this is learning experience. I didn’t realise that it looks different through mirrors to the direct view a camera offers. Fun mastering it though!

Heartily recommend one of these.

Best Regards

Dave

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too am a great fan of rear view cameras particularly for towing in Europe. I'm a little surprised that a fully wired version has been fitted when wireless equipment is readily available, easy to fit and does not have extra cables and connections.
I fitted my own very easily - the only extra wiring was a 12v feed direct (via fuse of course) from the main battery and the whole thing cost less than £500

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday the amount of people who were leaving without Towing Mirrors how the heck do they see behind the caravan I thought it was legal ... if i could afford it i would pay for a Rear View camera ..

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi RayS. The reason I didn’t opt for a wireless camera is that the WiFi signal is prone to interference from other WiFi sources. I also wanted something permanently powered and wanted a separate feed so I can record the movie. The solution I chose is one used on HGV’s. I am aware a similar result can be achieved cheaper but I was after quality. There is a company in Cheshire who will fit you a wireless solution together with a stay at a local campsite to enable them to do the work.

Very satisfied with the results up to now.

Hi Beachball, I chose this solution as an adjunct to and not a replacement for the normal towing mirrors. Also I was led to believe that mirrors are still a legal requirement. In using the camera on the last outing it was interesting to note how many vehicles pulled out to overtake me which I saw on the camera well before they appeared in the mirror.

Interstingly reversing the caravan using the camera is interesting! It’ll take practice I reckon.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had a hard wired system for about 4 years now, mounted high up on the caravan, the cable comes down the right hand side awning rail then under the A frame with the cable entering the car, the screen about 6inch fits nicley just forward of the auto select lever in the cubby hole,, the screen can be adjusted for different sunlight etc. Great for reversing into our storage which is a barn so its dark / dull . cost about £100 . through Amazon.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have had a hard wired system for about 4 years now, mounted high up on the caravan, the cable comes down the right hand side awning rail then under the A frame with the cable entering the car, the screen about 6inch fits nicley just forward of the auto select lever in the cubby hole,, the screen can be adjusted for different sunlight etc. Great for reversing into our storage which is a barn so its dark / dull . cost about £100 . through Amazon.
That sounds more reasonable for me we will look on Amazon and priced it up .
Thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just looked for the screen, must have left it in the van, but i mounted the camera on a plate used Number plate pads to stick the camera, . It works fine, you just have to adjust the Screen now and again for colour or contrats, , not often though.Studio_20200720_234139.png

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Apparently a good place to fit the camera is by the number plate as that has 12v power to recharge and operate the camera. Then wifi to unit in car. I think the cost is well under £200 and as per the OP very good for when towing in France or Spain where they like to drive within inches of the caravan rear.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Apparently a good place to fit the camera is by the number plate as that has 12v power to recharge and operate the camera. Then wifi to unit in car. I think the cost is well under £200 and as per the OP very good for when towing in France or Spain where they like to drive within inches of the caravan rear.
A higher view point than the number plate would be advantageous in some circumstances

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A higher view point than the number plate would be advantageous in some circumstances
If it is used to for reversing than I agree. If we had one fitted, its main purpose would be to monitor those at the rear of the caravan. I don't have an issue reversing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody know whether it is possible to link a rear camera mounted on caravan to the rear camera mounted on car, I am thinking it should be possible to then override the car camera when the caravan is hitched up, and use the caravan rear camera, car is Hyundai Santa Fe with factory fit rear camera that displays through factory fit sat nav.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does anybody know whether it is possible to link a rear camera mounted on caravan to the rear camera mounted on car, I am thinking it should be possible to then override the car camera when the caravan is hitched up, and use the caravan rear camera, car is Hyundai Santa Fe with factory fit rear camera that displays through factory fit sat nav.
It is knowing the specifications of the in car sat system to be able to use it as you require as nothing is impossible.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just looked for the screen, must have left it in the van, but i mounted the camera on a plate used Number plate pads to stick the camera, . It works fine, you just have to adjust the Screen now and again for colour or contrats, , not often though.View attachment 557
Although my camera is high up on the caravan, I can see to within 3 foot of the back of the van and Well back to several hundred yards behind us, and also to both sides of a motorway if in the center lane.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts