Recently moved back from Canada - Bought our first UK Caravan ...

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello Guys I thought that I would jump on here and ask for a little towing advice.
But first a quick intro.

We have had all kinds of Trailers in Canada ..... in Canada they tend to call them Trailers, in the US more so an RV.
Pop-Up Tent Trailers, 28ft Long Tow Behind Travel Trailers.

The one we had before moving back was the Smallest Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler that we could find @ 33ft long.
It was great unit that had a living area up front and an 8 x 10ft garage at the back.
We loved it but as we were moving home decided to sell it and the Ford F150 truck that we pulled it with.
So I'm used to towing but not used to our UK caravan.

It was bought in Jan and has been in storage since then.
it's an Abbey 420GTS with island bed - 2007 model.

I've bought a scale for the tongue weight and know that our Diesel Yeti can handle up to 85kg on the tow ball.
The caravan is well within the limits of our vehicle.

So providing that I keep all of the heavy stuff towards the front ... in front of the Axel ... and ensure that the lowball weight is no more 85kg ... should I be OK ?

How can you stop stuff sliding backwards in the van when rolling - does that happen often ?

I'd like to get a Power Mover installed and know that there are lots of brands now .... is there one in particular that you guys would recommend --- I'm in the Redcar area.

I'd also like to get Solar fitted as we will be doing a lot of camping at the Track with no electricity. The Caravan as apparently pre-fitted for Solar....not sure what that means. Can Solar Panels be roof mounted with needing to drill holes ? I've seen some reports saying yes and others no.
Also is there a Brand to go for ?

It is fitted with Al-KO anti-sway ... how often should those pads be checked & changed. is it any good ?
Same with wheel bearings .... how often should they be looked at.

Lot's of questions I know ..... any advice would be appreciated.

The caravans here are totally different here than back in Canada. Electric Brakes, different anti-sway devices etc..

However we are really glad to be home and looked forward to seeing this beautiful country .... once we get out of lockdown that is :)

Mick

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
For movers you can consult these sites..
You can arrange to get it fitted at home, although that may not apply during the shut-down period.
https://www.motormoverdirect.co.uk/ (these guys fitted mine) and this for a specs list
I suppose you need to choose whether you want to activate with the remote or a wind-on or spring on manual engage. You will get cross-activation so you only need to access one side to engage (handy if parked close to a wall or hedge!)
I have the emove 303 manual engage which was fitted early last year and been well pleased, although I did need to replace the leisure battery shortly after which might have been coincidence as it was about 6 years old.

That's a start to your requests anyway!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mick Welcome to the Forum... We use Milenco Telescopic Cargo Bars they vary in sizes these stop things from moving about
Small 20" - 36" (Product code 2721 )
Large 35" - 66" ( Product Code 2738)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Keeping all the heavy stuff forwards of the axle is likely to give too high a nose weight. But caravans do vary. Mine has a high empty nose weight so I only carry one 10 kg (total) gas bottle and a few bits in the front locker. The under bed front lockers have nothing put in them. Two reclining chairs go between the front lounge seats and that’s it. Awning goes in the car. But just behind the axle is a good stowage so heavier stuff goes in there and some clothes go in the wardrobe but most go in holdalls two go in the car and one on the floor in a rear transverse locker. Tend to work on the principle car heavy van light. The fridge sits just forward of the axle and will have food and drinks in it. However others have caravans where it’s very difficult to get the nose weight up. So I suggest you measure nose weight empty and then by trial and error position your kit around. I’ve never had a problem with stuff moving rearwards as I don’t drive a F150 :)

I would change the stabiliser pads then you know where you are. Providing they are kept clean and grease free 30k should be achievable. I use brake shoe cleaner before each trip on pads and towball. Wheel bearings should last a long while and the one shot nuts are replaced with new ones if they should be removed.

Check tyres if over five years from date of manufacture they should be changed especially if the van may have been sitting around for long periods. The treads may look fine but there may be minor cracks not readily visible. I use commercial grade tyres such as Hankook Vantra LT. If they are good enough for white van man they will do me fine.

It is possible to bond a solar panel to the roof but I think adding a fastening gives a bit of extra assurance.

Has the caravan been damp checked? It’s virtually endemic in U.K. vans an can be no respecter of age either. If not have it checked which will cost about £50. But if you were to have it serviced that would be included.

If used two mover manufacturers Reich and Powrtouch. My first Reich was manual engagement with cross actuator, second was Powrtouch auto engagement but was troublesome so even though the company support was very good I have gone back to a Powrtouch manual with cross actuator.

And welcome back to U.K. and the world of caravanning (y)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mickster, welcome to the forum. I think OC has covered a lot of your questions. The Alko stabaliser pads, as you bring down the large handle , once connected to a 50mm towball, don't push down too hard, there are two arrows on the hitch, which will tell if the pads are worn, hopefully someone will have a picture.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Mickster, welcome to the forum. I think OC has covered a lot of your questions. The Alko stabaliser pads, as you bring down the large handle , once connected to a 50mm towball, don't push down too hard, there are two arrows on the hitch, which will tell if the pads are worn, hopefully someone will have a picture.
The Alko website has good information on maintenance and usage procedures. Shows the arrows and marks too.

Reactions: Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree that having the heavy items at the front might put the noseweight above the cars limit. If you have a noseweight measure then you can experiment with this. Not sure what these things are but if you are talking about an awning then the expending bars should work.
From my experience the motor movers are all very similar. I have had three different makes over the years but cannot say there was anything in it.
What varies is the way of locking them on the wheel. The lever operated ones can be very heavy to pull over, so I would see what you think before fitting one of these. You can also get ones with a winding handle that you wind on in the same way as you operate the legs on the caravan, these are easier, but on a slope you have to make sure they are tight as you do not get the positive locking of the lever ones. The easiest are the automatic ones you work from the control unit but they are far more expensive, so you have to decide what you want based on what level you need.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On the topic of movers I mentioned above that of my three movers two had been manual actuation with cross actuator bars. The Reich was wind on, and the Powrtouch is cam lever. In nine years of ownership the Reich performed impeccably and given the choice of wind on actuation or cam lever it would be wind on every time. Even with a telescopic wheel wrench to increase leverage the cam lever actuation can be much harder. My wife had no problems with Reich wind on but there’s no way she could even release the Powrtouch cam lever let alone put it on. I never had any issues of grip with the Reich wind on.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Bear in mind the payload limits on the van, we are limited to 150 kgs and that's before the movers are fitted. You will find a plate showing the MIRO and MTPLM , what you can put in the van is the difference, including movers and solar panels, awnings, bedding etc, a good explanation is https://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/how-to-decode-caravan-plates

We never had a problem with things moving back, forwards more likely with braking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts