Recliner chair dilemma!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought that it is about time I replaced my current recliner with a new one. Went Online and what a nightmare. Seems recliners are not order of the day and that the idea is to buy a riser recliner. The idea being that as you get older a rise may be beneficial for you.
However I am in my earlier seventies and expect to around for another 15-20 years and by that the time the future proof rise recliner will probably be a bit tatty and need changing after 10 years anyway.
Ideally I would like the back rest and foot pad to be operated independently. Heating and massge woudl be a bonus but not essential. Comfort is the main priority so fabric would probably be the better option.
The more comfortable and recommended ones are riser recliners however some are eye watering prices. All I need is decent comfortable chair with a decent after sales service.

Reactions: jacknight01
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I thought that it is about time I replaced my current recliner with a new one. Went Online and what a nightmare. Seems recliners are not order of the day and that the idea is to buy a riser recliner. The idea being that as you get older a rise may be beneficial for you.
However I am in my earlier seventies and expect to around for another 15-20 years and by that the time the future proof rise recliner will probably be a bit tatty and need changing after 10 years anyway.
Ideally I would like the back rest and foot pad to be operated independently. Heating and massge woudl be a bonus but not essential. Comfort is the main priority so fabric would probably be the better option.
The more comfortable and recommended ones are riser recliners however some are eye watering prices. All I need is decent comfortable chair with a decent after sales service.

I have a recliner that was made to measure 15 years ago by a small company in South Wales and whilst it is still very comfortable and supportive it’s velour is starting to look jaded. Like you I looked at many of the current options but didn’t particularly want a riser recliner nor power to the chair. If I’d wanted an ejection seat I’d have joined the RAF.

So I’m probably going to use a reupholster who can totally refurbish the chair. Luckily around Bath there are some with good reputations. The problem is what timescale? As the spaniel with the bionic knee joint can still get into chairs even though she’s got two nice IKEA rockers for herself. Makes little difference if I’m sat on the chair either. But we cuddle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I brought a recliner from Eden Mobility have a look at them
Rise & Recline chairs in store demonstration
Nationwide delivery

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a recliner that was made to measure 15 years ago by a small company in South Wales and whilst it is still very comfortable and supportive it’s velour is starting to look jaded. Like you I looked at many of the current options but didn’t particularly want a riser recliner nor power to the chair. If I’d wanted an ejection seat I’d have joined the RAF.

So I’m probably going to use a reupholster who can totally refurbish the chair. Luckily around Bath there are some with good reputations. The problem is what timescale? As the spaniel with the bionic knee joint can still get into chairs even though she’s got two nice IKEA rockers for herself. Makes little difference if I’m sat on the chair either. But we cuddle.

On the current chair I have had the seat replaced 3 times, twice within 3 months and then I paid an upholster to fit new foam. Okay since then. I cannot be without a chair for 6 - 8 weeks. It will need to be electric as manual is not really an option for me.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The last recliner was electric and after only two years it had a new power pack we said we would not buy one again but that is our preference but you might want a electric and that is your choice

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would be looking at a chair with perhaps a 2-5 year warranty, but finding a decent comfortable one under £1000 may be an issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would be looking at a chair with perhaps a 2-5 year warranty, but finding a decent comfortable one under £1000 may be an issue.

After looking around at what was on offer at that price I decided my best option would be to have mine reupholstered. It was near £800 when purchased 15 or so years back. And to be honest it’s not really sagged and is still supportive. So I may just decide to get a nice throw which matches the rest of the lounge furniture including the two dog rockers.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
After looking around at what was on offer at that price I decided my best option would be to have mine reupholstered. It was near £800 when purchased 15 or so years back. And to be honest it’s not really sagged and is still supportive. So I may just decide to get a nice throw which matches the rest of the lounge furniture including the two dog rockers.

Ideally a recliner where the backrest and foot rest could be used independent would be ideal, but it seems you can only get them in the riser recliner.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ideally a recliner where the backrest and foot rest could be used independent would be ideal, but it seems you can only get them in the riser recliner.

Could look in a good charity shop or classifieds. I gave my fathers to the Leicester Hospice charity shop. It was an almost brand new condition as he spent most of his time either in his garden then at his lady friends house. Many charity shops will deliver to a buyer.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we got rid of the recliner we was in Tier 3 we would have donated to the British heart foundation but they were not doing any pick up so we put it on Marketplace with our Sofa it was Sold in the first hour . the new suite came next day

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the price might be a problem. My mother paid well over £2,000 for one made to measure and it is superb, my daughters father in law bought one for £600 off the internet and it broke down after 2 weeks. Due to covid, or so they said, they were only able to send replacement parts rather than repair although these have worked so far.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Buckman, Your reasonable desire seems to be beyond makers imagination. I think yours would need two independent motors working different parts of the chair. We do have non risers but only single motors. Maybe there’s a market out there or do we all go back to the old pouffe?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you are anything above average height or weight you really need to try one out for basic comfort let alone its reclining capability. Ever more important as the bones grow old.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I thought Bu man was looking for a NON riser electric chair🤔🤔🤔
Would prefer an electric recliner chair, but it seems I need to go down the route of the riser recliner chair to get the option of the back and foot rest working independently.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Are we really, a bunch of old cronnies ?
Electric recliners, Electric riser chairs, We did have Parker Knoll reclining chair and Sette. Chairs were fine, but the sette was the worst engineered thing i have seen.

Ok I admit, 4 years ago I bought an all adjustable bed, top end, leg end, seperate sides for me and Mrs H, 6 different vibrating modes, .
But to retro fit it into the caravan would add about 100 kg,

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i use to have a electric recliner but after the last one got a manual recliner i found it better but it came from a mobility shop and i found it suited my needs more .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Are we really, a bunch of old cronnies ?
Electric recliners, Electric riser chairs, We did have Parker Knoll reclining chair and Sette. Chairs were fine, but the sette was the worst engineered thing i have seen.

Ok I admit, 4 years ago I bought an all adjustable bed, top end, leg end, seperate sides for me and Mrs H, 6 different vibrating modes, .
But to retro fit it into the caravan would add about 100 kg,
That would be an Anne Summers bed😜😜

• Love
Reactions: Hutch

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Well, after reading this thread Im even more depressed. Is this really all that I have to look forward to? ;)

From The Bard.

“The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slippered pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.”

Has that cheered you up at all?
Mel

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Brilliant Mel with some French too👌
Carpe Diem perfectly👍
Ie seized the moment. Most poetic and cheery👏👏👏👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well, after reading this thread Im even more depressed. Is this really all that I have to look forward to? ;)
It’s quite compatible with another thread that compares and discusses electric vehicles viz mobility scooters. Perhaps an electric recliner with pneumatic tyres and beefed up motors could meet both needs 😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts