Recommend a caravan alarm

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for a reliable and uncomplicated alarm system. I am changing my van sometime in the next few weeks, going for a unicorn Cadiz which comes without an alarm although does have a Tracker Retrieve system. Can't say I'm impressed with that version of Tracker but looking to fit an alarm. I had decide to go for a system from Keen electronics due to reading loads of positive comments but when I checked their website discovered they are no longer producing caravan alarms, bit of a disappointment!
Looking for system with intruder p.i.r. and tilt or corner steady alarm, would like a system where the p.i.r. can be isolated and left inactive for the rare occasions when the dog is left in the van for a short time.
Any recommendations, and just as important, any you would advise against.
Thanks
Rob

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I suppose the obvious answer is a Sargent Stinger 300. This is pretty similar to the 210 that used to be fitted to many caravans at manufacture. The design changed a little and uses a secondary beeper to indicate dis/arming whereas previously it used the main siren. So it's a little harder to hear, and the main siren seems a little quieter than before too. It has a 9Ahr battery to keep it going when the van battery is disconnected. There isn't a model and loom specifically for the Bailey like for Swifts etc but as supplied there are only 3 singe wire cores, 12v and tracker trigger if required. And a plug in cable for the PIR which can be placed where appropriate. It doesn't have a steady sensor but if you buy the Interface kit which is just a bundle of loose wires and a couple of plugs it provides extra connectivity to external devices and lamps. It has the usual tilt sensor built-in.

Since Bailey no longer supplies sensor alarms you'd think Sargent might have targeted that make specifically.

I've just fitted one to a Bailey and I suppose it's OK. Won't set the world alight but functional. If you wanted to add a location reporting tracker then the trigger output from the alarm would be useful. I've considered one of the ~£60 GPS based devices that can be arranged to text you when the alarm is triggered. I'm not too happy with the cost of a monitored service like Phantom which we had before. That had problems of its own.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just checked the Keen Electronics website and they still appear to be making and selling caravan and boat alarms although they have moved away from Aylesbury. The only change i could see was that they can no longer repair some of their older units.

If they are still supplying I would recommend their Dealer 2 unit which is easy to fit and works well - at least in normal use - fortunately i have not had any instane of it being set off for real. It is approved by CC for their insurance and I belive by others too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Correction. Keen Electronics have stopped selling caravan alarms - just hadn't got round to changing website. This is a shame as theit Dealer 2 system was easy to fit, reasonable price and good service.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Steve do you know of a simple tilt / movement alarm that has a sim card attachment so that when triggered it sends a text message. (especially without tracker facilities) I must still weigh up the option of just getting a text message the minute my van it disturbed against being able to track it? Any thoughts on that as well?

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Our caravan has an alarm fitted as standard and to be honest close to useless. Most people these days ignore alarms of all types and most caravan alarms aren't loud enough to be heard over any distance. I know some insurance companies do give a discount for a fitted alarm and that maybe more of an incentive than that the added deterrent they might offer.
The only function our offers of any use is the remote switching of the awning light using the key fob but that only works if your standing next to the van.
Even a tracker type alarm is of limited value in my opinion; I would not be to happy about getting my caravan back after someone has hacked off the alko wheel lock, forced off the hitch lock and bent up the steadies and the damaged caused by the use the van had been put through between it being stolen and returned.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
GD485 said:
Our caravan has an alarm fitted as standard and to be honest close to useless. Most people these days ignore alarms of all types and most caravan alarms aren't loud enough to be heard over any distance. I know some insurance companies do give a discount for a fitted alarm and that maybe more of an incentive than that the added deterrent they might offer.
The only function our offers of any use is the remote switching of the awning light using the key fob but that only works if your standing next to the van.
Even a tracker type alarm is of limited value in my opinion; I would not be to happy about getting my caravan back after someone has hacked off the alko wheel lock, forced off the hitch lock and bent up the steadies and the damaged caused by the use the van had been put through between it being stolen and returned.

I tend to agree that alarms are not very good and are unlikely to be a deterrent. Tracker type alarms are a far better bet and the idea is that you get the caravan back before any real damage can be caused by the thieves. Certainly if they have got to the point of living in it the tracker is not going to get it back. The effectiveness was demonstrated when three caravans were stolen from Preston Caravans and the police had the thieves before they even got out of the city. This was a particularly successful one but the chances of getting the caravan back relatively undamaged are good but not guaranteed.
Any damage to the security devices or the hitches or legs is not something I would worry about as they are easily replaced and this is far better than the loss of the caravan and your personal possessions inside. Thieves will not do more damage than is absolutely necessary as they have to put this right afterwards so why cause themselves extra work.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts