Recommendations for a Jack

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello all.
We have recently bought a really nice but older Avondale Dart Caravan. Regular posters may remember my post regarding having a mover fitted.
Well today's question is about Jacking up the van in the event of a puncture etc.

I've read on the Internet that al AL-KO Chassis after 1992 had holes ready included in the chassis to accommodate the brackets that are associated with the Al-ko side Jack or in fact the Kojac brackets.
Well this Avondale doesn't actually have those holes. Even though it is the Millennium edition (2000)
I can only presume Avondale were using up old stock when producing these editions. Finding this out probably goes someway to explaining the issues I had getting a power touch mover to fit. Obviously the more modern chassis has a deeper frame so giving more head room for the mover to fit.

Well my question is how do I now go about jacking up the van??

I understand that it is a No No to drill the chassis so my thoughts are now moving towards a trolley Jack but there again I know that jacks mustn't be used on the axle.

Can anyone give me their thought as to how they get around the problem. Regarding where to site the Jack and any recommendations for a suitable model to buy. Also will it need to have a larger Jack head pad?

I now have visions of having to crawl under the van in the event of a puncture to site the Jack.

Best regards to all Brian

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
It's odd that your Avondale doesn't have the holes to fit brackets. My own is a 2001 Rialto and that certainly has. As you say, you must not drill the chassis. Below the axle you should have a wide 6mm thick steel bracket. You need a trolley jack to push under there. Having the holes in my chassis, I've fitted Alko brackets and use a modified electric jack to lift the caravan. Then before doing any maintenance work, push a hydraulic jack under the axle.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The safest place to jack a van is under the axle just behind the brake backplate.
Next best is using the reinforced web where the axle bolts to the chassis.

Never on the chassis rails .

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
image.jpg1_zpshznspcx1.jpg

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've managed to post a picture of the axle / web I believe this is the area you mean Damian.

It's easy to see how the Jack would go under the web but hard to see how to operate it without actually being under the van as it is lifted.

I need to have a run round various suppliers and look at trolley jacks I think.

Thanks for your Comments Damian and Jaydug
Regards Brian

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
This one on ebay is a useful jack and very reasonably priced.

The same jack used to be sold by Screwfix and for several years I've had a pair of them.

EDIT> The link doesn't' want to work so put Item No: 351362051948 into the search box.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian, I should have mentioned that I was talking about using a trolley jack.
I personally would never use anything else.

In your picture there is that large chunky lump of metal which bolts to the chassis rails, that is an ideal place to put a trolley jack.
With the jack at a bit of an angle the handle is usually just outside the edge of the van.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Had our van serviced in April by Mr Mobile workshop and he used and air jack to lift our T/A.I was well impressed .I did a search on E Bay and they
are readily available .Interested to see Damians thoughts on this one.
Sir Roger

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If things are all a bit too squat to get your jack under think about hauling the wheel up on some blocks using the towcar; that can also be a saving trick with a puncture.
I would keep the towcar coupled if ever possible, whilst jacking a caravan; much safer.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
On my 2012 Bessacarr 645 twin axle I have recently had four Powertouch motor-movers fitted which required the jacking brackets and spare wheel carrier removing. I was sent a KoJack hydraulic jack but this required the bespoke levelling brackets being fitted where the original Al-co brackets were. On contacting Kojack they advised that this jack was not suitable.
I now have the quandary of knowing what type of jack to use and where to place it particularly as both sets of axles are fitted with shock absorbers.
Any ideas please for a suitable jack and where to place it?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Brian and David..........you might like to read through this old forum topic on this subject

............if you are wanting a jack in order to lift a caravan to fit a spare wheel in a puncture situation then I personally would not purchase and carry a trolley jack for that type of use.
These jacks must be free to move forwards and backwards on their wheels during the lifting and lowering process. If they are prevented from doing so by being placed on an uneven or soft surface then they are potentially dangerous. They are meant for use on a hard level surface such as concrete.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
I have just received a definitive reply from Al-Ko - as follows:

Good Afternoon

If the jack brackets have had to be removed then the caravan we need to be jacked up from the return lip of the axle bracket, this is where the axle is bolted to the chassis. Using this method will require a bottle jack.

Kind regards
Freundliche Grüße

Matt Francis
Customer Liaison Co-ordinator

AL-KO KOBER LTD
South Warwickshire Business Park
Kineton Road
Southam
Warwickshire
CV47 0AL

Fon: +44 01926 818500
Fon: +44 01926 818607