Ref ; Sad Day

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just been reading the thread on the stolen Adria, which has turned out rather well in the end, when I had the following thought. What if when we are booking in to the two club's camp sites and CLs part of the process was to log the CRiS security numbers onto a national data base, that would immediately flag up if the van was stolen. This could be extended to private sites with some cajoling from the industry and it would make it more difficult for thieves to dispose of the stolen vans. The site managers/owners would then book the van in before quietly calling the police.
If a scheme like this was implemented it would be one more tool in defeating the thieves. Look forward to your reactions.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure this would work as I suspect most most stolen caravans are not going onto sites and I cannot see the private sites or the clubs wanting the hassle.
To insure the caravan however you do have to give the CRiS number so it might be possible to pick them up at that point, but these would be only the portion stolen to sell back into the market and not those taken by travelers or shipped abroad.
Those at least would be in good condition and the owners might want them back rather than the others which might not be worth the effort.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Good idea, but what is to stop them entering the CRIS of another or scrapped caravan. You would then be reliant on the wardens to actually go around and check the numbers, and whilst there are some exceptionally good wardens, I have met my fair share of bone idle ones too.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi George, like most suggestions while a good one, it depends on others to implement it which is always going to be difficult, the best way is to protect it yourself in the first place and while this may not deter the most committed thieves. it will most likely slow them down to a point where they will not bother go somewhere else.
there is a device for instance that one can buy for boats that track the whereabouts through a GPS signal while off shore, if one fitted something like in some descreet out of the way place, if after ones best attempts it goes missing one phone call would tell you exactly where it was, then it's just a phone call to the police telling them it is missing and where it is, then it is up to them and the insurance to sort it out,
of course there still is a possibility you won't get it back as there are areas even the police will not go but would you want back then anyway.
I have one that was on my last boat, now resides in the car, seeing as the vans gone, quick call and yes it is still outside the house. :cheer: :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts