Reliability Of Cars

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just came across this on FB. Not sure how the numbers have been calculated but taking them at face value some interesting results that surprise me!

reliability.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just came across this on FB. Not sure how the numbers have been calculated but taking them at face value some interesting results that surprise me!

View attachment 3978

It tends to mirror other surveys such as Warranty Direct Reliability index, and the JD Power surveys where it’s not uncommon for prestige makes to be lower than the less expensive brands. WDRI breaks down the cost and frequency of private warranty repairs into specific fault areas such as electrical, transmission etc. Motorceasy sell waranties for pre owned cars via the trade or to individuals. Be interesting to see the actual models table as well as marques

Probably quiet representative as Motoreasy will not be paying claims fir faults to be repaired unless they meet the T&C of the policy.

The Driver Power survey shows similar results albeit with a scope wider than reliability. By pure chance we own cars 1 and 3 in the 2022 results.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My granddaughter who is 19years old came yesterday to pick Nanna up and take her out in her first car a 2019 Volkswagen Polo SE Evo 5door only done 11,000 miles from new and got it for £10,000 and 12months warranty the dealer drop off at my son house she just doing a extra day at work to pay it off

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly they do not give a breakdown of how they arrived at those conclusions. What could be an unreliable car on theeri chart may be very reliable for some one else who has their vehicle serviced regularly and on time. Another factor is obviously volume of sales and the ratio.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
This is a What Car survey, and the analysis is based on the number of respondents in the survey per brand, and the number who reported faults in the last 12 months. They published the specific model data a few days earlier, and that then rolls up into the manufacturer data

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Sadly they do not give a breakdown of how they arrived at those conclusions. What could be an unreliable car on theeri chart may be very reliable for some one else who has their vehicle serviced regularly and on time. Another factor is obviously volume of sales and the ratio.

Yup.

But taken at face value I would certainly avoid a Jeep. Drop from 98.4% to 77.0% best to worst is worrying don't you think?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Motor Easy are a warranty provider if you don’t get the car serviced as per the T&C you are unlikely to get paid out. But whether that holds for non serviceable parts I don’t know.

But whichever survey you read the trends are the same in that the European prestige marques populate the lower regions.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yup.

But taken at face value I would certainly avoid a Jeep. Drop from 98.4% to 77.0% best to worst is worrying don't you think?
Numerically, most of the Jeeps will be Stellantis-based models - the survey does seem to show that Stellantis (Fiat, Alfa, Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Vauxhall) models are the ones to avoid at present.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yup.

Find it hard to believe Jeep stood at 98.4% must be the better performance of the smaller ones developed jointly with Fiat etcal.😂

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
As said many a time - the devil is in the detail. So what constitutes a reliable car?

Also I don't believe surveys are very accurate as a lot depends on the questions being asked and the attitude of respondents. More people are willing to moan than praise.

Scan the internet and you may well find many such reports all contradicting each other.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A blanket reference to a brand is pretty meaningless as a particularly unreliable model manufactured over a limited period of time and maybe even at a different location can drag down the average for the whole brand.

Where brand surveys can be useful is if they contain questions relating to customer support from dealerships and manufacturer. But again they can only show trends as one dealership may be fantastic whilst others not so good. With all these sources of information you need to cast your net wide in order to try and glean information. And then go and buy what you want😂

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Where brand surveys can be useful is if they contain questions relating to customer support from dealerships and manufacturer. But again they can only show trends as one dealership may be fantastic whilst others not so good. With all these sources of information you need to cast your net wide in order to try and glean information. And then go and buy what you want😂
I'm not convinced - many dealers of many brands focus their technical expertise on the most popular models of that brand and their customer-facing staff just follow like sheep - the manufacturers are little better. Having bought a VW which shares nothing with a Golf, I experience this lack of knowledge every time my Touareg goes in to a VW dealership.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm not convinced - many dealers of many brands focus their technical expertise on the most popular models of that brand and their customer-facing staff just follow like sheep - the manufacturers are little better. Having bought a VW which shares nothing with a Golf, I experience this lack of knowledge every time my Touareg goes in to a VW dealership.
Then it’s quite clear that you would award “ null pointe”. As your dealership doesn’t come out as “ fantastic” more “ not so good”. So there’s your awarded mark for any survey. Mine for my last car a Subaru would mark the dealership “ excellent”, as for our Kia”s. But I have experienced what you have. My first Kia Sorento a 2004 was a puzzle to the dealership as their main work was on the conventional Kia’s with very few Sorentos in the area. So often I would be advising them on aspects of its servicing, particularly the transfer box lubrication regime.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Like Buckman I do wonder what they include as a fault. What I want to know is the problems that result in a breakdown or keep the car off the road for any given time. I am less worried about minor things that whist annoying do not cause any real problem.
Having seen another survey recently yes Range Rovers came bottom which is consistent but Jeep were not at the bottom and the Mazda CX5 which from what I know is exceedingly reliable came eighth from the bottom. Bearing in mind is has the same running gear as the 6 which did far better you do wonder how good they are as the top was again very different. Possibly you need to look up several different surveys and take an average.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you look at #1 you will see the reliability list came from Motor Easy. This insurer provides mechanical and electric breakdown cover. Sometimes it comes with the purchase of a pre owned car, other times a motorist purchases it themselves. They offer various grades of cover from basic to comprehensive. What needs to be recognised is that they only pay out for things that have failed for them to be to be repaired. Wear and tear doesn’t normally get covered. Minor faults are unlikely to be included in the listings as either they will not be covered or the owner sorts it out rather than pay the excess for a claim.

One excellent site for car reliability is Truedelta. It’s a US one but covers a good number of European cars. My current and last three cars were included. I’ve been using it since Michael Karesh set it up. It draws data from owners about their repairs, mileage, cost of repairs etc and gives graphical outputs showing for example how particular model years fare. Viz:

E2D92F2F-576C-45E4-ABAD-29DD8A6EE5C6.png

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I’ve had my BMW for well over 6 years and I’ve done over 108,000 miles with it since I bought it new. It’s never seen a dealer except for its regular service and for one recall. I guess I can’t complain about its reliability.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yup.

Jeep is more reliable than any Discovery or any Range Rover. We were very happy with our 2005 Grand Cherokee and also our 2012. Unfortunately we allowed n amateur Jeep franchise to play with it and then it was downhill after that. Happy with our current 2018 model.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The very big issue with surveys from warranty companies is if they only have 10 x 10 year old Jeeps on their books and of those 10 they have claims on a few it skewed the figures. They do not give a breakdown of number of Jeeps, which Jeep model, age of Jeep and mileage etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
JD Power survey imo is pretty accurate. The main stream cars eg PSA, Ford Vauxhall are mostly company cars. Owners of those are hyper critical because deep down they want a badge better than the Co car. So much so they answer without blinkered eyes. In hind sight my 1996 SRi Cavalier was brilliant. The more obscure models are slightly harder to predict because of lesser numbers. I tend to agree the disappointment by the fewer owners probably reflects the bottom of the table cars are ones to avoid

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nobody likes to see their chosen make or model of car criticised.
Surveys are not personally aimed at any individual car owner, but they provide a snapshot of opinion on what owners or drivers of the models listed replied at the time that the survey was carried out.
No sane person would buy a car based solely on the results of any survey, the same thing applies to any purchase be it a car. caravan or whatever.
No owner of a particular make or model of car needs to defend their choice on this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Nobody likes to see their chosen make or model of car criticised.
Surveys are not personally aimed at any individual car owner, but they provide a snapshot of opinion on what owners or drivers of the models listed replied at the time that the survey was carried out.
No sane person would buy a car based solely on the results of any survey, the same thing applies to any purchase be it a car. caravan or whatever.
No owner of a particular make or model of car needs to defend their choice on this forum.
I appreciate what you are saying and I didn't want to defend the make of my car in my previous post. I just wanted to point out that it doesn't make any sense to lump together all models and all model years of a particular make for the purpose of creating a reliability league table like the one that the OP supplied. That sort of generalisation doesn't tell anybody anything useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts