Remove chassis cross member to fit motor mover?

Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
Good morning all, I have a Sterling Esprit Vitesse that I'm trying to fit a Reich mover to.

The problem I have is directly Infront and behind the wheel is a cross member that is in the way of the mover. What's the purpose of this member? Can it be removed or moved further forward (welding involved), without causing any harm?

IMG_20220927_094532.jpg

IMG_20220927_094539.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220927_094532.jpg
    IMG_20220927_094532.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Ray. except I have no doubt you will be told you must not remove it.

Unless you are a chassis engineer and can prove the chassis would be strong enough to work without the member, ( and there are very few people with those skill of that level) the answer is no.

If you did remove it without approvals, and it was involved in an incident, the roadworthiness of the caravan could be called into question, affecting your insurance, and possibly an offence of unroadworthy vehicle.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
can't the mover be mounted at the other side of the wheels?
And as the others have said, don't cut it, it's there for a reason!
And weld galvanised steel, no thanks

Reactions: Dustydog
Sep 27, 2022
Visit site
can't the mover be mounted at the other side of the wheels?
And as the others have said, don't cut it, it's there for a reason!
And weld galvanised steel, no thanks
Yes I thought it wouldn't just be there for no reason. I was just hoping somebody could confirm it could be removed or modified, it was wishfull thinking.

The mover can't be mounted on the other side as it also has the same cross member.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I assume the caravan is early 1990s?
The chassis does not look like an Al-ko. Maybe the chassis and mover are just incompatible. Fully agree with the others do not remove any parts of the existing chassis.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the comments given; no, the whole process comprises too many risks.
Plus, once moved the chassis rails themselves don't appear suited to conventionally mount movers, intended for the deep modern chassis rails.
Add to that the chassis is galvanised which in itself raises issue now with welding both associated with the zinc and the proximity of the combustible floor etc.

Depending on what you need the mover to achieve, where, the terrain, van's weight etc. it might be better to consider the more capable of the hitch drives such as what would have to be a secondhand Mr Mover. A tractor that works via the hitch and has its own great heavy battery to add to its weigh and thus its friction traction gip to the "road".
Limited in what they can do but given modest slopes and good "road" surfaces quite capable as a mover at home. Not the sort of thing though to use away from home as it presents considerable challenges transporting it about for use elsewhere.
Various other movers of that "ilk" were close to useless, they simply had not the weight loading to achieve much friction traction grip.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add to JTQ's comment, for safety when using a mover, its not just about what the mover can drive, but from the safety point of view its how well they can stop and hold the caravan especially on slopes or where there may be slippery surfaces even of concrete or other wise "good" surfaces caused water ice or even leaves.

Basically any of the hitch mounted movers are far more vulnerable to these poor conditions As a basic guide if you could not manage to stop or hold the caravan your self (just by hand and not using the brakes) then hitch based movers are likely to suffer the same limitations.

Hitch based movers are fine on flat hard ground.

Road wheel movers have the significant advantage of the weight caravan acting to increase their grip.

Reactions: WayneS and JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts