Removing aerial and sealing the hole

Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have an old Swift Archway 2-berth that has served my daughter and me so well as our holiday hut for many years! Without that little caravan we would never have been able to afford holidays!

Lately we had leaks when it rained hard and it turned out to be coming in through the aerial. I tried sealing it but it seems not to have worked well. As we never use the aerial, I would like to take it out completely, but that leaves a rather large hole.

I am not experienced in repairing things, but I have tried to find advice. It seems one can buy small sheets of aluminium on eBay - would that be a good way to cover the hole? And what would be the best adhesive to use?

I would be so grateful for some tips! Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the trouble!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You can cover it with a sheet of something, aluminium or the plastic "plate" disc Status sell for the purpose, any that sticks well but can cope with UV. So not some plastics.
I would use a PU adhesive/ mastic, my choice would be Sika flex 512 for preference. Note these require a film thickness so don't squeeze it all out, 2 mm thick is ideal. Also note it will bond so removal if ever needed will require a "cheese wire" technique. This stuff comes in white and black.

However, with these bonding adhesives the degreasing of the surfaces is super critical. Here best get a couple of degreasing wipes from a car bodyshop if you can't readily buy them.
I can't over emphasize cleaning is very important.

Reactions: Claudy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This might do the job.

6E0DE0CB-6127-46E8-8ECF-0BBF69752591.jpeg

Find a bolt to fit and a bit of thin ply or plastic for the inside. Remove the aerial. Apply good sealant. And screw from underneath so sealant squeezes out, clean up, job done.

John

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Slight correction - use non-setting sealant else the (setting) sealant will loose its adhesion through vibration over time. Such sealant is widely available and costs very little more than any other sealant. Look for Soudal Butylrub which typically costs about £3.95. IMPORTANT: before using any sealant make sure the surfaces to be 'joined' are clean and grease-free - wipe with meths as a minimum.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Slight correction - use non-setting sealant else the (setting) sealant will loose its adhesion through vibration over time.

Whilst undoubtedly there are very poor products out there, that statement is something of a generalisation and certainly not the case for the bonding product I mentioned.

Similar, and in certain case even the same product is used to hold warships, aircraft and cars together.

The real point is don't just trust any product, know about what you are using and how it is to be used.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021
Visit site
You can cover it with a sheet of something, aluminium or the plastic "plate" disc Status sell for the purpose, any that sticks well but can cope with UV. So not some plastics.
I would use a PU adhesive/ mastic, my choice would be Sika flex 512 for preference. Note these require a film thickness so don't squeeze it all out, 2 mm thick is ideal. Also note it will bond so removal if ever needed will require a "cheese wire" technique. This stuff comes in white and black.

However, with these bonding adhesives the degreasing of the surfaces is super critical. Here best get a couple of degreasing wipes from a car bodyshop if you can't readily buy them.
I can't over emphasize cleaning is very important.
Thank you so much! Proper instructions that I can follow easily -much appreciated! Claudia

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts