Removing caravan number plate.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Having changed the towcar at the end of 2019 I have replacements plates for my cycle carrier and caravan. Given the existing number plate a bit of a tug and want to remove it without straining the rear abs panel. It is perhaps stuck in place with 3 sticky strips vertically. Any tips for getting the plate off - then will wd40 be suitable for removing any residual sticky stuff?
Understandably my towbar fitting has been cancelled, so maybe I am jumping the gun - but it will be a break from weeding the garden!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It might help if you can gently warm the number plate with a hair dryer to loosen the bond from the sticky strips before attempting removal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I squirt sticky stuff remover down the back and leave 10-15 minutes. Then use dental floss or fishing line in a sawing action to cut through the first pad. Once this is off a thin plastic spatula or more thread will remove the others. I then clean up using sticky stuff remover or white spirit to get a smooth plastic surface. Then meths to prepare the surface fir the new plate and pads.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is white spirit ok to use on caravan bodywork after removing number plates/stickers then?
I’ve never had any problem using it to remove number plate sticky pad residue, GB signs etc. It’s extensively used for cleaning off mastic when fitting body parts. Then if I need to apply new sticky pads I just wipe over the area with meths.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you damien and otherclive.
Our van has some of those reflective strips down the 2 front edges that I want to remove.(was like it when we purchased it)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Garden twine behind it and drag along with a saw action soon gets it off-hard work getting the mess it leaves off though-i like Rays idea; wish I had thought of it!!!!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies and tips. Job done this afternoon with a combination of warmth, a very thin plastic spatula cut through the double sided sponginess to remove the plate. Then the remaining sticky areas squirted with WD40 and left to soak, then mainly wiped off with a dry cloth. Surface cleaned and the new plate now in place. Now I need a relaxation in restrictions so I can get my towbar fitted and get on the road once again! You'll all join me in that wish, although we have to consider that might be much later in the season.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You can find gov info here:
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
and specifically the pdf leaflet relating to trailers which I think suggests that the makers name and postcode should be shown on the plate. here
If you look at registered suppliers on ebay you will usually find that they require vehicle registration document originals and ID, 'show plates' makers will generally not ask for these, or you could use a motor factor locally. Expect to pay about 12.00 per plate.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I squirt sticky stuff remover down the back and leave 10-15 minutes. Then use dental floss or fishing line in a sawing action to cut through the first pad. Once this is off a thin plastic spatula or more thread will remove the others. I then clean up using sticky stuff remover or white spirit to get a smooth plastic surface. Then meths to prepare the surface fir the new plate and pads.

I do the same. But also warm it up with a hair dryer as suggested.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts