Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dci and caravan

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
Dear All,

I am new to this list and caravanning. Please bear with me.

We towed till now a trailer tent Trigano Vendome GLX with a Scenic 2.0 16V Sport Alize.

We got now a Renault Grand Scenic II, 1.9dci 120 6 gears and would like to start with a caravan. I was wandering what type of caravan could be a safe match for this car.

There seem to be several discrepancies on what is what and one caravan dealer said that given the type of car our choices are very limited as the Maximum Towing Weight Braked - Driver Only (kg)is 1300Kg.

Kerb Weight (Excluding Driver) (kg)= 1530

Maximum Payload (Including Driver) (kg)= 555

According to this calculator http://www.caravantrekker.nl/en/

the car seems a good tower with a torque of 300 at 2000rvm

We wanted to buy the new Bailey Pageant Provence and when calculating the outfit we get "Your Bailey is 56 kg too heavy for this car" and the 89% figure.

Should we buy a 1200Kg caravan allowing 100Kg for the awning and few other things. In total there my wife, three kids and myself.

Kindly could anyone help me to make some sense out of all these. It seems to me a quite confusing matter and we would not like to tow putting in danger other people and ourselves.

Many thanks in advance

Andrea

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrea, stick to the recommendations and never exceed the manufacturer's towing limits for your car as this would invalidate any insurance and make you liable for potential prosecution should you have a crash. If you're new to towing try to stick to the 85% formula, or the maker's limit. I doubt that all your personal effects will only weigh 100kg, as the awning, battery & spare wheel will easily add up to this before you've put any of your own stuff in the van. Try to get a van with a lower unladen weight (MIRO) to give you a sensible margin.

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer.

You are absolutely right! I won't exceed the manufacturer's towing limits of 1300Kg.

I think a lightweight caravan like like the Lunar Quasar 525 MRO = 1074Kg will be a good and safe outfit.

Thanks again for your kind suggestion.

Andrea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts