Renewal time again

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Just had my renewal reminder/quote from Camping and caravanning club for the caravan. Naively, :eek:hmy: I thought it would be slightly less this year as I have never claimed and there is another years NCB (7yrs now). Instead it is 10% higher. I shall phone them but what are the alternatives?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are several alternatives,

The first to try is to contact them and tell them you are thinking of changing provider because of the premium hike, and you need evidence of your no claims bonus to pass onto the new provider, The chances are they wil try to tempt you to stay by making some discount offer.

But there are several other insurers out there, but you need to look closely at the T&C's to make sure they offer the cover you want, and do some research on the insurers history of settling claims and then its down to you as you are the only one that can make teh decision about which provider and policy is best for you.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I am just looking into insurance as we collect our van in a few weeks time - out of the ones I've called so far the Camping and Caravanning club have given us the best quote. If I find anyone better I will let you know.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
last year camping and caravanning club were the cheapest of the two - so much so that I joined and still saved even taking into account the membership fee. shall ring them.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Recieved my renewal of the van last week from C&CC, down this year by £5 so will check with CC, as we go for the New for Old, also with CC you get a bigger discount if you have Green Flag and Red Pennent cover. I pay more for Caravan insurance and Breakdown cover than I do for the car.
Hutch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically you get what you pay for. If you find a cheaper policy ask yourself how they do it. It is worth paying a bit more for a reliable policy with good cover and good service. Profit margins in the business are very slim so a big saving has to come out of service or claims payments.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Our van is insured by the CC and the premium is nearly twice my car insurance (RAC, brand new car, fully comp, 8000 miles per year, 2 drivers, parked in drive). It doesn't make sense.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
''Basically you get what you pay for. If you find a cheaper policy ask yourself how they do it. It is worth paying a bit more for a reliable policy with good cover and good service. Profit margins in the business are very slim so a big saving has to come out of service or claims payments.''
Based on that logic I take it that you never market test any of your other household services bills or car insurance??
I rang CCC and there response was ' well it's gone up this year'. Mind you the robber baron George Osbourne doubled insurance premium tax at the last budget. I tried a quote from CC but that is some 150 higher. I insure both cars for less than that and they are worth a lot more than My caravan. The house insurance is a third of the caravan insurance and that has 5 bedrooms! It's a ripoff.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Grahamh said:
''Basically you get what you pay for. If you find a cheaper policy ask yourself how they do it. It is worth paying a bit more for a reliable policy with good cover and good service. Profit margins in the business are very slim so a big saving has to come out of service or claims payments.''
Based on that logic I take it that you never market test any of your other household services bills or car insurance??
I rang CCC and there response was ' well it's gone up this year'. Mind you the robber baron George Osbourne doubled insurance premium tax at the last budget. I tried a quote from CC but that is some 150 higher. I insure both cars for less than that and they are worth a lot more than My caravan. The house insurance is a third of the caravan insurance and that has 5 bedrooms! It's a ripoff.

Not so Graham.
It's all about risk and potential claim costs. A dented side panel on a caravan is going to cost nearly £5000 for parts and labour. A car is far cheaper to repair. Most householders don't claim these days.
However as a pet owner I can tell you pet insurance is eye wateringly expensive. Why? One our dogs ate three stones which nearly killed her . Cost with hospitalisation came to £1700.
Of course you can buy caravan insurance cheap. Be my guest . But woe betide the day you have a claim and they use the small print to repudiate.
With the two Clubs you know you are buying Rolls Royce cover and a decent claims service. So sorry it is not a rip off as you describe :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Grahamh said:

I have to go with Dusty Dog. You get what you pay for. The two clubs offer a Rolls Royce policy with service to match. The cheaper you get the more likely you are to end up with a 20 year old Lada. The insurers are not making huge profits on insurance, the premiums are based on the cost of claims plus their running costs and a very small profit margin. Any savings on a policy cost have to come out of claims costs which means less paid to you or running costs which probably means less service.
Car insurance and to some extent house is a problem for insurers as they are running at uneconomical rates in many cases to get new business and hoping wrongly to keep the business at higher rates after that. Premiums are based on claims levels and different types of insurance are not comparable. It is rather like comparing the cost of your fridge with a washing machine. The same firms make them but they are very different.

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graham. Try Safeguard. I have used them for a number of years. Great price and they offer recovery breakdown. They are based in Leeds. They are part of the Swinton group and the underwriter is AXA.
Regards, Mike

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My problem with Safeguard is they do not say who the insurer is so I have no idea of whether I would want to insure with them. Outside of the clubs Saga, NFU and RSA are worth considering amongst others.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Renewed our Van insurance today with C&CC, new for old etc, £339.19 , whilst phoning the nice lad Charlie, checked up and said they could do it for 327, so you can get a new quote. Went for the original, as I was happy with what they insurance company offered.
The car with myself and 3 named drivers is £319, breakdown, Europe £70, Red Pennent 450 and the house is 280, each dog is about 300,
Going to get my act together and get everything from one company and see what they can offer.
Hutch

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Renewed our Van insurance today with C&CC, new for old etc, £339.19 , whilst phoning the nice lad Charlie, checked up and said they could do it for 327, so you can get a new quote. Went for the original, as I was happy with what they insurance company offered.
The car with myself and 3 named drivers is £319, breakdown, Europe £70, Red Pennent 450 and the house is 280, each dog is about 300,
Going to get my act together and get everything from one company and see what they can offer.
Hutch
You been on the sherberts Hutch? Some rather odd numbers there. :eek:hmy:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, have been, but numbers are very very close, the smaller the more expensive it seems, the Red Pennent includes personel insurance for both of us and dags, Green flag Europe, just car , but needed before RP starts. Dogs a nightmare, plus pets +, for inoculations, another 15 a month. Each. . Ok recheck everything. But bet I am not far off.
Hutch.so DD what numbers do you come up with. ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok DD, in the cold light of day, new figures, caravan, £339, Greeen Flag Euro plus, £69, Red Pennent, starts July £450, Car, £437, Ist dog £410, 2nd dog £235, House £190,
Plus water gas insurances etc dogs innoculations etc, Caravan insurance doesnt seem so bad.
Very best regards
Hutch.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Gosh Hutch, that's over £2000 in a year plus the cost of, water, gas insurance
you must be very rich! ( but I reckon you are doing the right thing)
all best
paws

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No Paws, I used to be "well off" now just a happy retiree, just didnt realise how much we spend on "what if" policies, pobably add another £600 on other incidental policies.
Hutch.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Difficult to compare insurances as the area you live is a major factor and exactly what you have by way of caravan, car etc is also critical. Caravan though is about £400 with CC, car £265 and house £200 plus the cat £283 but she is very old. The oddest thing though is the house is by far the most valuable one and costs least to insure, although the liability cover of the car does have the most potential.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally got round to deciding today. I tried safeguard ( they use Axa), Caravan Club and CCC. Used the same numbers for each and safeguard came in cheapest. The prob is though that the van - Elddis Xplore 530 was insure New for Old as it is only just 2 years old but Elddis have stopped production so, in the event that it is a total loss what would it be replaced with? Phoned the dealer and he suggested one of the other Xplore models. Now they are entirely different layout and berth No so would not interest me at all. When I asked the insurers what I would do in the event of total loss they each gave different answers. Safeguard told me that I would have to have an alternative and couldn't just say, have a cheque for the insured amount to put towards another van of my choice. CC said,'no prob we'll just give you a cheque for the insured amount. CCC said I couldn't have a cheque on a new for old policy but I could have a cheque if I went for an Agreed Value policy. The only proviso was that I had to provide a receipt to show what I bought the van and mover for (which is not a problem as I keep everything). So as CCC was some £75 cheaper than CC for the same cover.... Also Caravan Guard require that I fit BOTH hitchlock and Wheelclamp when caravan left anywhere whereas CC and CCC only require one of them (of course they do give a discount for fitting both). Cost of axle lock thingy is some 10 years discount so no thanks.
Now just got to get the cover off next week for the annual service and we are ready for the off to Cornwall for the annual shakedown. :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have looked at renewal costs myself on a new replacement basis. Our Quasar 564 is also no longer in production and was asked what was nearest and plumped for 544 which is same bodyshell and has a fixed double where ours has a dinette that converts to a double bed. No one queried it and accepted my suggestion so if it comes to the worst then I should be OK. Last caravan was by Avondale and Caravan Club would specify an alternative they thought appropriate but varied it with Coachman sometimes and Swift but when I rang they accepted alternatives from Lunar and Swift as against the Coachman.
If Eldiss do not make a sensible alternative you would have to look at Sprite, Venus or similar if there is one. Tell the insurer what you are regarding as the alternative and make sure they accept it.
All policies give the insurer the option of replacing the caravan with the current alternative or paying cash so you could get either with any policy but insurers like to replace because they can usually get a decent discount on a new one if available so save money. If they cannot find one they have little alternative but to pay cash.
I have been surprised at the variation in premium prices. The CC was coming in at just over £400 and the CCC at £275. Safeguard wanted £350 but wanted a useless hitchlock and that would have cost the difference anyway. I did get others just below the CCC but with less cover and some wanted a hitchlock anyway or named insurers I would not touch.
The CCC quote is with Amtrust whose claims service I have no experience of but they do not do that well if you look up the Financial Ombudsman complaints data but neither do their alternative Ageas, look at percentages rather than numbers of complaints.
Given the saving I am still tempted by the CCC offering and they did not even bat an eyelid at the fact it was stored on a CCC site. I know the clubs service is very good but am still wavering on the insurers identity.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
renewed with ccc on an agreed value basis. seemed the best of an expensive bunch .£233 for agreed value of 15300 for the van and mover. discount offered for Wheelock but not cost effective. also took an additional £100 excess. There are cheaper options but wouldn't be able to sleep nights.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I renewed two weeks ago with C&CC, new for old £24000, £327. It drops each year by about £5, each year, CC were £50 more expensive,

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
just had my renewal notice and I won't be going with my current provider. I phoned c&cc and they came out cheaper for same level of cover so saved £55 against other clubs quote so happy with this but as others have said do your research cheapest isn't always the best in this instance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts