Replacement headlight bulbs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Recently we inherited a Volvo C30 when my father gave up driving, and one of the things apparent on it is that the dipped beams are weary. They are a baleful yellow tint with little range or brightness. Looking into this, it seems like Volvo at one point considered these dim low light, long life bulbs as a safety point so they didnt dazzle oncoming traffic. Doesnt matter about the tree you hit because you cant see it, but I guess a lot of older cars are like this. With this in mind I looked at the options. Converting to Zenon, too expensive for a older car, and of course an LED conversion can have strange effects, both with the LEDS themselves and the Canbus (fell foul of this one when we changed the caravan). It seems like our best option are upgrade bulbs and I have been looking at both the Phillips X-treme Vision H7s https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/37170328/x-tremevision-car-headlight-bulb and the Osram Night Breakers https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BR...01_3043435/PP_EUROPE_Europe_eCat/ZMP_4057692/
and of course I wondered if anybody has had any experience of them. As it happens, one of the H7s went on the Volvo and a decent replacement was £8, so looking at both the above on Amazonat around £20 for a twin pack seems reasonable, they can be up to £40 everywhere else.
Any thoughts?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Recently we inherited a Volvo C30 when my father gave up driving, and one of the things apparent on it is that the dipped beams are weary. They are a baleful yellow tint with little range or brightness. Looking into this, it seems like Volvo at one point considered these dim low light, long life bulbs as a safety point so they didnt dazzle oncoming traffic. Doesnt matter about the tree you hit because you cant see it, but I guess a lot of older cars are like this. With this in mind I looked at the options. Converting to Zenon, too expensive for a older car, and of course an LED conversion can have strange effects, both with the LEDS themselves and the Canbus (fell foul of this one when we changed the caravan). It seems like our best option are upgrade bulbs and I have been looking at both the Phillips X-treme Vision H7s https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/37170328/x-tremevision-car-headlight-bulb and the Osram Night Breakers https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER LASER-Halogen headlight lamps-Cars-Automotive Lighting/com/en/GPS01_3043435/PP_EUROPE_Europe_eCat/ZMP_4057692/
and of course I wondered if anybody has had any experience of them. As it happens, one of the H7s went on the Volvo and a decent replacement was £8, so looking at both the above on Amazonat around £20 for a twin pack seems reasonable, they can be up to £40 everywhere else.
Any thoughts?

I had a XC70 which also had Volvos take on the long life bulbs. They came out rapidly. I’ve use both Phillips and Osram and both are good. In a recent Autoexpress review I think the Osram Laser came out best. Halfords own brand came out technically as good but as they weren’t offering a two for one deal it didn’t get top spot. It’s VFM was against it.
You don’t get such a long warranty so if your car uses dip for daylight running six months could be the life.
Unless a car was OEM with LED it is not legal to fit them in UK other than for use off of public roads. It could result in an MOT fail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is considerable confusion about the legality of LED replacement lighting,

Whilst I have not seen the relevant regulations as published by the Govt. I believe this web page does provide a well balanced appraisal of the situation.

Whilst it may be technically illegal to fit Non E marked bulbs, The chances of the offence being detected is poor provided the beam pattern complies with the MOT testing standard.

This does not mean I suggest or condone fitting non approved parts.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I fitted an LED to a headight to replace the halogen lamp OEM fitted on my motorbike, said LED required a ballast to be fitted in conjuction with the new LED lamp.

The MOT tester immediately noticed that the LED lamp was 'strobing' ( the strobing only happens at idle speed and is related to the ballast module I understand) but it passed the MOT test.

A strobing lamp could be a dead giveaway as being a non OEM fitment, not sure if 'strobing' effect occurs if the LED does not require an accompanying ballast module.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not many motorbikes come with headlamp washers and self levelling. :eek: Although there are now some LEDs that are Bluetooth enabled and allow the driver to connect to the music source and the lights will pulsate. Hopefully not whilst driving.

The newer OEM systems now have software controlled dipping with sensors that detect oncoming lights. But I’ve found they can be caught out if the oncoming car is coming up a slope as is the LED equipped car. You get a face full of lumens.

WRT the Profs comments about legality and confusion. There is no confusion. Unless theLEDs are E marked they are not road legal. To my knowledge no reputable manufactuer such as PIA, Osram or Phillips make such lamps marked E.

Saying that I have fitted LED side, rear, indicator and braking bulbs to various cars and caravans. But they don’t cause other road users problems which ultra bright LED headlights can do.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just to clear up any confusion there may be, these are Halogen, not LED. As far as I am aware, they are perfectly legal. They are Homologation ECE .

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to clear up any confusion there may be, these are Halogen, not LED. As far as I am aware, they are perfectly legal. They are Homologation ECE .
I’ve replaced several OEM halogen headlight dip bulbs with either of the makes you detailed. They do improve the cars lighting. After driving my wife’s Kia Rio the other night it is earmarked for new bulbs on dip beam.
Yes updated halogen are legal because they run at the same wattage as OEM bulbs.
Higher wattage halogen are not E marked and the online sellers show them as not for road use.

Reactions: Thingy
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Just been to look at the Volvo, I have to say these are probably the easiest bulb on earth to change. One pin and the whole headlamp unit is out, remove the multiplug and swap the bulb. Bobs yer Auntie (on Fridays)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
A strobing lamp could be a dead giveaway as being a non OEM fitment, not sure if 'strobing' effect occurs if the LED does not require an accompanying ballast module.
This is exactly what happened when hooking up the Continental to the Shogun. Had to fit Sargents VLM module.

TRENDING THREADS