• Please use the Forgot Your Password option to login to your account on the new platform.

Replacement number plates

Jan 19, 2002
Having recently replaced my towcar I need to purchase 3 rear plates, for caravan, trailer, and bike carrier. Presumably the GB with Euro star symbol will gradually be phased out as we are no longer European (!), so I am considering to buy plain or with GB + Union Jack to the left of the reg. The advantage then would be any European travel would presumably not require the old style GB sticker affixed to the rear of the van. As the 3 seem to cost a bit less than 30.00 for MOT legal versions I'd like to make a good decision. Any advice or comments please?

Sep 5, 2016
I just purchased one for the caravan from a local car spares shop and he charged me £19.00 for one , Halfords are a couple of quid cheaper,

Nov 11, 2009
I just purchased one for the caravan from a local car spares shop and he charged me £19.00 for one , Halfords are a couple of quid cheaper,
From reading UKGov advice prior to our two previous attempts to leave the EU the advice was that UK registered vehicle would require the GB sticker and a GB on the side of the number plate wasn’t compliant.

Of course during the transition period nothing changes. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Jan 31, 2018
Never trust the plate alone-and go to a local motor factors who will do them for less than a tenner. Get which plate you like but I'd still stick to the recommendation re the GB sticker!

Sep 5, 2016
Never trust the plate alone-and go to a local motor factors who will do them for less than a tenner. Get which plate you like but I'd still stick to the recommendation re the GB sticker!
Less than a tenner I want one for my trailer

Jul 18, 2017
Also take your v5 reg document ,they won't (shouldn't) make you one without it.Agree ,go to a motor factors,as said less than a tenner usually.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Also take your v5 reg document ,they won't (shouldn't) make you one without it.Agree ,go to a motor factors,as said less than a tenner usually.
My servicing garage will obtain them without needing to see the various documents as they know me and the car.

May 7, 2012
The GB plates will probably not be compliant after this year so what you buy is probably irrelevant. You never know though, what will be agreed in the negotiations, but this one will not be high on the list of priorities.

Jan 19, 2002
Thanks for your replies and comments.
I have found a local motor factors that will make me up the 3 rear plates that I need - MOT legal and simple, just a yellow plate with standard lettering - £32.00. This beats some internet offereings and I can take my required documents in person rather than trusting them to the post in order to get the plates made up.

May 24, 2014
You can get number plates cheap online and also without v5. They arent sold as legal plates but are identical to those from the factors. One of the ways your plate can be cloned. Indeed the very first ad on ebay is 13.99 for a pair to your own design.

Nov 11, 2009
You can get number plates cheap online and also without v5. They arent sold as legal plates but are identical to those from the factors. One of the ways your plate can be cloned. Indeed the very first ad on ebay is 13.99 for a pair to your own design.
The are normally shown as “Show” plates and most of the suppliers will also print the name/postcode and reference number of am issuing station. So in reality it is virtually impossible to tell them from the legit ones other than by following some form of purchase trail from buyer to supplier. Unlikely these days. An easier way if the authorities are concerned would be to shut the website down. But it would pop up again very quickly.

Reactions: Thingy

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts